A bridge to far: retirement hoops to jump through

Bloke down our way used one of them "Visa Agents" ...

in and out in 10 mins ... quick trip up to immigration for a photo.....

picked up passport from the agents the following day- Extension stamped in - Job's a  good 'un .......

no bank letters, letters from Embassy, waiting at immigration for hours or any of that saftness - just ability to hand over 12,500 Baht ....

Maybe the OP should give it a go ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Expattaff1308 said:

I can see the logic for the initial OA as you can gain entry into the country with having to show funds here for upto 2 years, however those on extensions of stay have to show sufficient funds, and since the recent rule changes (if using cash in bank) to keep 400k in the account for the full year rising to 800k 3 months before and after the extension, one would think that would meet the 400k they require in insurance, was this their initial thought?

The question has yet to be answered what about those unable to get insurance due to age, pre conditions or just too expensive.

Initially they said when this first raised its ugly head that 450k in the bank would cover this but nothing since.

As we all know premiums peek after your 65th birthday and Im sure even when paid my experience with Ins Companies is they wriggle in an attempt not to pay out if they can.

The authorities made a big play on expats not paying their health bill yet the hospitals claim it is tourists who can easily skip the country while the expat returns to his Thai home.

I guess it's a case of wait and see but little thought has been given to this when it is made retrospect for those whose entered on an OA years before, it seems illogical while those on a tourist converted to Non O & Non Os remain on extensions insurance free.

Just because you have an OA don't try to buck the O's. The OA's have the most retiree on them and it will be you guys who kill the O cat by jumping or talking too much which will make life just as bad for everyone else. Any of the such, I am on the O and I can afford all if I have to and jump those extra idiotic hoops. 

Honestly, the real deal is they are looking at a cash cow to fund their underfunded brown envelopes. And honestly they don't give a rats behind about us. We are like used up garbage to them that helped build their country. Now on to the Chinese and the Indians. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The direction this visa process is headed should run up a red flag for anyone whose commonsense is still more important in making lifs's decisions than a Thai female's honey-spot...

Or, hang around and see what other asinine visa schemes they can come up with to rid the country of Western influence...

It has become more than just visas...there is a cultural shift going on that is going to make living in Thailand uncomfortable for white ex-pats...IMHO...????

That change of Gov.policies and the dreadful exchange rate (partly as a Brexit result ) made me change my plans for buying a condo with money already transferred in to Thailand long time ago on exchange rate 47.50/bht  …. so now I don't have to cry about the hopeless exchange rates for € , as my incoming money never reach Thailand anymore and stay's where a Euro keep being a full € same for the GBP , talking the remaining with me in +/- May 2002 as that is now my leaving plan if all stay the same overhere …. or another general maybe …?

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JTXR said:

1) I can no longer get an income affidavit from my embassy (even though I can show valid evidence of official state pension income)
2) CW now wants a TM-30 either from landlords, family, friends, or myself every time I change where I spend the night.
3) TI may in future want me to purchase overpriced and essentially worthless health cover (I'm over 65) the next time I extend my permission to stay.

1. Not a problem. The change is for safety reasons, due to that it was in some countries possible to fake the income. If you can live up to current rules, everything is ok.

2. According to the latest meeting, TM30 is only needed if returning from a visit outside the country. Information is from the head office.

3. No need. Just change to Non-O instead of Non-O-A, and there is yet no mandatory insurance. Although, you should have one in a foreign country to be considered a responsible person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:
4 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

That's not an (easy) option for many here.

curious.. why not ?? 

Basically, you can't get a change of visa from O-A to O from immigration within Thailand. You must first exit Thailand to get a non O which isn't available to many people (finance requirement documentation for example) and many would find the same issues if re-entering on a VE/tourist visa and applying for a change of visa to a non O at immigration.

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Just because you have an OA don't try to buck the O's. The OA's have the most retiree on them and it will be you guys who kill the O cat by jumping or talking too much which will make life just as bad for everyone else. Any of the such, I am on the O and I can afford all if I have to and jump those extra idiotic hoops. 

Honestly, the real deal is they are looking at a cash cow to fund their underfunded brown envelopes. And honestly they don't give a rats behind about us. We are like used up garbage to them that helped build their country. Now on to the Chinese and the Indians. 

Whose bucking the Os Im just pointing out the illogical reasons for insurance made retrospect to those who arrived on OAs MANY years ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

1. Not a problem. The change is for safety reasons, due to that it was in some countries possible to fake the income. If you can live up to current rules, everything is ok.

2. According to the latest meeting, TM30 is only needed if returning from a visit outside the country. Information is from the head office.

3. No need. Just change to Non-O instead of Non-O-A, and there is yet no mandatory insurance. Although, you should have one in a foreign country to be considered a responsible person.

Consider the insurance at his age. And with pre-existing conditions it is not going to happen. Period! Change to O and screw it up for all the rest? Keep on talking the flip and jump Matzzon.

When I am touched by the hit on Non O I will be not so happy because of all OF you late procrastinators (or the ones you Matzzon are trying to be the Moses of) just waited until stupidly it became into signed law even knowing it was into legislation prior and going to move forward. Fully Ignorant! 

But because of all you ignorant people or the now almighty to do this oh my god jump and save me to the Non O (woe is me), then you are inevitably sending doom to all the rest as you are intimately to blame rushing under a last minute change. Be more insightful and intelligent about matters and spare everyone. If you want to say, to hell with me and it is all about you, then I hope you get what is deserved. Sorry Charlie as Thailand for the last 10 years has been lean and jump accorindilgly. And if you do not even recognize the last few to couple to last year of OH MY GOD here with immigration and the powers that be, then you deserve to be out because of your stupidity.. Enough said as I have been jumping for sooo long here as have been here for too long already. You would think I would be bored but not quite yet. Getting there but not quite yet as I love my family and care too much for them to keep on top of everything and make intelligent decisions here. . . But in the end I can jump and afford all, but I still listen and act way before time. do you?

Edited by holy cow cm

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

ah come on, the good folks around here would never do a thing like abuse a visa, i mean look how much <deleted> they gave those damn nomads over abusing tourists visas.

no, i am sure they will all do the right thing, stick with their OAs and pay their insurance premiums.

hahahaha yeah right :cheesy:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Agreed. I'll be doing a non-O based on retirement in January when I return from the US and, with an extension, I think I have one more year to get things sorted out and researched as to where I will head when they add an insurance requirement to non-O visas. At least I was smart enough to see the inherent instability of Thailand and didn't buy any property that I will have to get rid of. I've been here almost 9 years and was planning to be here for quite a few more. I'll miss Thailand.

David

GENERICNIC said :

"At least I was smart enough to see the inherent instability of Thailand and didn't buy any property that I will have to get rid of. I've been here almost 9 years and was planning to be here for quite a few more. 

100% agreed ….just like I dreamed it …. but I woke up in time as putting of the pink glasses  5555

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Which countries where the ones faking incomes? I've never heard of any accusations directed towards Australia.

15 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

ah come on, the good folks around here would never do a thing like abuse a visa, i mean look how much <deleted> they gave those damn nomads over abusing tourists visas.

no, i am sure they will all do the right thing, stick with their OAs and pay their insurance premiums.

hahahaha yeah right :cheesy:

George. You are one of those on the out if I recall. True? I have been listening and jumping for over 10 years. But the reality of the ones who did not follow or listen is going to be detrimental to them.. Not to mention the last OMG jumpers to Non O. For me I don't really worry as am in a position of no problem, but I don't like the one's who did not listen or follow the reality folk and are what do I do now folk. I really feel sadness for them and you, but I will be ok in the near future's end, but so idiotic to not react way before as you know things are in the pike. So, whatever, Non O is destitute the same and so...….. Who cares! 

16 minutes ago, AverageBloke said:

Which countries where the ones faking incomes? I've never heard of any accusations directed towards Australia.

I believe it was the Australian Embassy who implied it could be happening. It was the reason for not continuing with affidavits. They said they couldn't guarantee the accuracy of the statements people made.