Ban of 3 substances will cripple sugar industry: expert

webfact

29 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Is it a coincidence that the incidence rate of liver cancer in Khon Kaen is the highest in the world and that Khon Kaen is one of the country's major sugarcane growing areas?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12718642

Of course it is.

Banning pesticides to prevent suicide... Oh wait it's a CNN story... 

Edited by Catoholic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Ban of 3 substances will cripple sugar industry: expert

By THE NATION

800_12fb98e8207264a.jpg?v=1573608108

Dr Kitti Chunhawong, president of Thailand Society of Sugarcane Technologists (TSSCT) insisted on Tuesday (November 12) that the banning of 3 agrochemical substances namely Paraquat, Chlorpyrifos and Glyphosate by the Hazardous Substance Committee, which came into effect last month, will severely affect the sugar industry.

Just shut the H******* up, before the responsible Agricultural ministries will make a huge U-turn...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, unamazedloso said:

i used to have 3 bee hives but the bees all died as soon as they planted suger cane next to my property.. Killing more than just humans!!

I bought some bee hives for wild bees when I moved here. Then I noticed there is no bees at all. I'm in the middle of sugar cane and cassava fields. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, somo said:

Glyphosate and Paraquate are dangerous to the farmer if used improperly. For those who believe they penetrate the food chain to any significant level you are mistaken but if you insist it is the case I recomend you stop eating now. If it is in the ground then it is in all food animal and vegetable so stop eating immediately! 

It is found in the Canadian food chain and it's probably worse in the US and anywhere they spray glyphosate pre-harvest. 

images (1).png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

paraquat

noun
para·quat | \ ˈpar-ə-ˌkwät \

Medical Definition of paraquat

: an herbicide containing a salt of a cation [C12H14N2]2+ that is used especially as a weed killer and that is extremely toxic to the liver, kidneys, and lungs if ingested .

Examples of paraquat in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web Similarly, in South Korea, a ban on the herbicide paraquat was followed by a 50% decrease in suicide deaths from pesticide poisoning from 2011-2013. Katie Hunt, CNN, "One person dies every 40 seconds from suicide, WHO says," 9 Sep. 2019 For comparison, a 2010 study found that 42.7 percent of people admitted to two Sri Lankan hospitals for suicide attempts involving the herbicide paraquat wound up dying. Dylan Matthews, Vox, "How pesticide bans can prevent tens of thousands of suicides a year," 15 Nov. 2018

suicide  nonsense  again.............just  get  on  the  Thai  roads thats  a  real  good  suicide  attempt

14 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I bought some bee hives for wild bees when I moved here. Then I noticed there is no bees at all. I'm in the middle of sugar cane and cassava fields. 

Interesting.

I'm surrounded by sugar as far as the eye can see.

I grow a crop that needs pollination from bees and it's set seed nicely. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Flukes, and I'm not swearing at you.

Actually, I'm with you on this. Liver cancer rates are very high in the North East and it is mainly attributed to the eating of raw or under-cooked fish and high levels of rice whiskey consumption.  However, I am sure that agro-chemicals also contribute to the problem.

Perhaps one good knock-on effect is improved air quality due to less burning if farmers turn away from sugar cane.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Is it a coincidence that the incidence rate of liver cancer in Khon Kaen is the highest in the world and that Khon Kaen is one of the country's major sugarcane growing areas?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12718642

More to do with Pla ra & raw pork consumption I think, but probably helps...

You just need to wiki this stuff:

It is quick-acting and non-selective, killing green plant tissue on contact. It is also toxic to human beings and animals due to its redox activity, which produces superoxide anions. It has been linked to the development of Parkinson's disease[6][7] and is banned in several countries.

Paraquat was first manufactured and sold by ICI in early 1962, and is today among the most commonly used herbicides.

Amazing! Toxic to humans causing Parkinson's and is one of the most common pesticides. And apparently without it, according to our expert, we can't grow sugar like they did 50 years ago.