Thai Airways cancels hiring of 200 flight attendants

snoop1130

Thai Airways cancels hiring of 200 flight attendants 

By The Nation

800_4b9009be10b09b0.jpg

President of Thai Airways, Sumeth Damrongchaitham

Thai Airways has called off the hiring of 200 flight attendants and will refund the application fee to applicants within one or two days, said President Sumeth Damrongchaitham, adding that the state carrier will issue an statement on the cancellation.

He said Transport Minister Saksiam Chidchob had suggested that the airline should re-train existing staff for services on all types of aircraft.

"We are looking at other options. It was suggested that we should upgrade cabin crew to the status of service crew through safety security standard training, but we have to consider that the number of staff on each aircraft should not be lower than the standard criteria,” he said.

“There is no short-term impact, but the company should explore options to manage crew members for flexibility in the long term,” he said.

He added that approximately 4,000 applicants had applied for the planned recruitment via the airline's website. 

“The company will refund Bt1,200 each to the 2,700 applicants who have paid the application fee. We will contact them via calls and email".

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378311

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-13

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And they keep a straight face as if it's all normal to demand payment to apply or for a teacher once paid to then go into the principal one after another to hand over a few hundred baht each or bidding for transfers or promotions (non refundable). Welcome to Thailand. 

10 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Oh dear; that's 200 Niece's, Sisters, Aunties and Mia Noi's who are got going to get on the gravy train, both they and their family's are going to be very disappointed !

Gravy Train? Hmm... have you read any news in the past about Thai Airlines?

11 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

How generous of them, but why are they charging applicants to apply for a job in the first place?

11 hours ago, Youlike said:

yes, 1200 baht application fee...what't that about? 

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Got to get funds from somewhere

I should imagine that payment is the first (and only formally accounted for) down payment in many which would be required to get this job!

9 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Paying to apply for a job!!?? Wow, this company just gets better and better. What a shambles. 

I guss that if they didn't have the application fee, every Somchai in the country would apply for the job. Having qualifications or not.

I just wonder why only 2700 gets the fee back, when there were 4000 who applied for the job.

After years of flying with Cathay I tried Thai on this trip.Very poor service serving wine as if it is a nip of rum.They are trying to scam more money for extra leg room hence seats stayed empty all the way from Copenhagen.Why not give somebody an upgrade?Company is brain dead no idea about providing good old fashion service.

38 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I guss that if they didn't have the application fee, every Somchai in the country would apply for the job. Having qualifications or not.

I just wonder why only 2700 gets the fee back, when there were 4000 who applied for the job.

According to the article, only 2700 paid the fee.

2 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

The Thai standard-pay for your job.

Exactly.

Nice little earner though, 4,000 applicants at 1,200thb a head is B4.8m for doing nothing because you know the jobs are going to family, friends and friends of friends they owe money or favours to anyway.

I imagine this has been discussed elsewhere in these pages, but Thailand one is only of only six countries out of almost 100 whose FAA airline safety rating is 2 (= FAIL). The others are Ghana, Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Malaysia (of course) and one other I can't remember off the top of my head.

How bizarre. I was a flight attendant for 10 years and I have never heard of an airline charging an application fee. 

Also, I've never heard of an airline where FA's were not trained on every aircraft type the airline flies. 

"...should re-train existing staff for services on all types of aircraft."

This is just plain weird and shows a shocking lack of critical thinking, foresight and planning. Of course, it is Thailand...what can one expect?

As I understand it, the fee covers some of the testing that’s required - some of which Thai uses outside entities to conduct.

As example, I recall that TG has a swimming abilities test - 50m for female applicants and 100m for male applicants, and I further recall that they use a pool of a nearby university for this process.

Clearly that alone won’t rise to a level of 1,200 or whatever it is, but I do suspect it is, either in whole or part, a way for Thai to defray some of their recruitment costs.

Archived