Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

We farang like to talk/whatever about "zebra crossings".   In the 37 years since I first came to Thailand. have never seen a zebra crossing in Thailand.   

On each side of the road, a zebra crossing needs one of those big amber lights on top of pole, otherwise known as Belisha Beacons.   I learnt this in primary school around the same time most Europeans now living here were in school.   And if there is a central reservation, Belisha Beacons need to be there too.

Checkout https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon.

Somewhere down the road a Thai in a ministry will pick-up on this and boost a bank account by having them installed all over the country.

Thai traffic laws aren't written by Thais.   They simply copy from other counties, mainly British, and apply them as the copper on the street is instructed each day.

I often say to my fellow country men, you need to live by Thai laws.   This is a case of them not even knowing the laws of there own county.

And let's not go in to Pelican Crossings.

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

I loathe speed bumps with a passion. They are only used in Thailand because it is impossible to get Thai drivers to obey speed limits any other way.  And as much as I hate speed bumps, I built 2 of them on the road outside my house. It is a constant irritant to me every time I go anywhere...and I put them there. I had to. It was just too dangerous otherwise.

It is truly sad that there is just no other way in this country.

i hope those bumps are to specs. if someone were to fall or crash...

5 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

By the way, isn't it a bit too strange and archaic to refer to streets or roads as carriageways?

Most of the developed world hasn't seen any carriages for roughly 100 years.

Times do change. What were talking about here is a two-lane road. It's not that difficult.

Why can't we update our terminology to keep apace with reality.

Just a thought...

Indeed... what have we been writing about ?? Dual vehicleways... hmmm... dual lane highways ??

I still scratch my head why does Thailand have Zebra crossings? In Australia zebra crossings are used for pedestrians so they can walk across the road safely Here they are targets so they can run you over. So why  even bother marking the road and if it is law that cars must stop in Thailand get the RTP to enforce the law.Oops i just made myself laugh I asked the RTP to enforce the law sorry. That guy sitting there i can understand why he is doing it? He is just bloody angry at being knocked over on the zebra crossing and by rights that idiot woman driver should be booked Oh no I just made myself laugh again by saying that. They  should book him for thinking he was safe on the zebra crossing

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Thai's are the world champions of poor driving!

Mrs calls it D'iving

- even courtesies me with a 'please dive salf'  

actually Diving is quite a relevant description...  

- once you have Leaped, there is NO Stopping nor Going Back 

In that sense;

a Crossing could easily become a Kangaroo or Emu (Ostrich) Crossing

- as they cannot move backwards

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's a suggestion, like stopping for red traffic lights or driving on the left on a dual carriageway.

Other suggestions, wearing a m/c helmet, seat belt, one way street, etc.

Up to you!

UR right, but does anyone actually know the real rode code ruling for zebra crossings??

If so can you post it.

19 hours ago, BobbyL said:

These crossings are a death trap here. If they don't mean anything under Thai road rules then what is the point of them. Why has Thailand copied them?

There is one outside my work which nobody pays any attention to. 

They actually make it more dangerous for Western tourist. Because, they are of the mind that traffic will stop if you are in the crosswalk. (Zebra Crossing).  Which we that live here know not to be true. As another poster put it. What is the point of having them, if no one is going to stop for the pedestrian? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

PRECISELY.....they are NOT taught the fact that pedestrians HAVE THE RIGHTS on a zebra crossing....and THEY SHOULD BE TAUGHT THIS FACT.....when they attempt !!! to pass a driving test.....!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Didnt read the 200 posts arguing about who is right or wrong, but its nice that this gentleman did this, the media attention might make a few Thai think about the terrible attitude on the roads and eventually safe someone's life.

If all foreigners did this for one day, something would change, or at least someone would notice !

so do not Thai drivers NOTICE the black and white strips acrosss the roads ???!!! which mean GIVE way to pedestrians  !!!

28 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I love how on TVF they argue the toss (over 22 pages) about what a crossing should be called... and you lot call the Thais stupid ???? 

Unlike some Thais, we have nothing better to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so do not Thai drivers NOTICE the black and white strips acrosss the roads ???!!! which mean GIVE way to pedestrians  !!!

Can you say where in the Thai Highway Code it says to 'give way to pedestrians'?

I've searched through the 2522 (1979) unofficial translation, searching for 'pedestrian crossing', but so far can only find about references to either prohibitions regarding parking near them, or pedestrians crossing at traffic lights. What I can't see is anything in that version defining rights for pedestrians at a crossing I can only see this (perhaps there's a newer version that does regulate it?):

Section 106. A pedestrian who wishes to cross the road at a
pedestrian crossing or junction having traffic light signal for use of road control, he or
she shall follow the following instruction:
(1) when there appears red traffic light signal requiring conveyance to
stop at any side of the road, the pedestrian shall cross the road where the
conveyance is stopping, and he or she must cross the road at the pedestrian crossing
(2) when there appears green traffic light signal allowing the
conveyance to pass at any side of the road, the pedestrian shall not cross the road
on such side;
(3) when there appears amber or green blinking traffic light signal at
any side of the road, the pedestrian who is not crossing the road shall wait on the
pavement, traffic island, or safety zone; but the pedestrian who is crossing the road
at the pedestrian crossing shall rapidly cross the road.

Section 107. The pedestrian who wishes to cross the road on the
path where a competent official is giving traffic signal, whether by hands and arms or
whistle sound signal, he or she shall comply with section 106 mutatis mutandis.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Can you say where in the Thai Highway Code it says to 'give way to pedestrians'?

I've searched through the 2522 (1979) unofficial translation, searching for 'pedestrian crossing', but so far can only find about references to either prohibitions regarding parking near them, or pedestrians crossing at traffic lights. What I can't see is anything in that version defining rights for pedestrians at a crossing I can only see this (perhaps there's a newer version that does regulate it?):

Section 106. A pedestrian who wishes to cross the road at a
pedestrian crossing or junction having traffic light signal for use of road control, he or
she shall follow the following instruction:
(1) when there appears red traffic light signal requiring conveyance to
stop at any side of the road, the pedestrian shall cross the road where the
conveyance is stopping, and he or she must cross the road at the pedestrian crossing
(2) when there appears green traffic light signal allowing the
conveyance to pass at any side of the road, the pedestrian shall not cross the road
on such side;
(3) when there appears amber or green blinking traffic light signal at
any side of the road, the pedestrian who is not crossing the road shall wait on the
pavement, traffic island, or safety zone; but the pedestrian who is crossing the road
at the pedestrian crossing shall rapidly cross the road.

Section 107. The pedestrian who wishes to cross the road on the
path where a competent official is giving traffic signal, whether by hands and arms or
whistle sound signal, he or she shall comply with section 106 mutatis mutandis.

READ THIS.....
Unofficial Translation ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, B.E. 2522 (1979 ...
http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf
10 Jul 2019 ... the Council of State of Thailand's Law for ASEAN project. ... (12) “Pedestrian crossing” means the area provided for pedestrians to walk across ...

16 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

What is the pedestrian crossing law in Thailand?  Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian is crossing, or something else?

Don't know the law, but a pedestrian with half a brain, would wait until the road is safe to cross.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, essox essox said:

READ THIS.....
Unofficial Translation ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, B.E. 2522 (1979 ...
http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf
10 Jul 2019 ... the Council of State of Thailand's Law for ASEAN project. ... (12) “Pedestrian crossing” means the area provided for pedestrians to walk across ...

OK to cross. If supervised by a competent police officer.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Don't know the law, but a pedestrian with half a brain, would wait until the road is safe to cross.

the law would be simple to comply to in any other civilised country......this being pedestrians have the RIGHT of way on a crossing...its as simple as that.....

• Like 2

Just now, essox essox said:

the law would be simple to comply to in any other civilised country......this being pedestrians have the RIGHT of way on a crossing...its as simple as that.....

What is this 'civilised country' stuff?