Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I would like him to pursue a career in something that he likes ……….. are there jobs available for eating and sleeping enthusiasts ?

So he hasn't discovered Thai girls yet then Andy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

So he hasn't discovered Thai girls yet then Andy.

Well it’s looking like girls might not be top of his “ desired sexual partner “ list but i think it’s too early to say for certain.

Certainly very immature and might not have made a decision either way yet .

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well it’s looking like girls might not be top of his “ desired sexual partner “ list but i think it’s too early to say for certain.

Certainly very immature and might not have made a decision either way yet .

Years ago when I first arrived in the village, Nan (Mrs Owl's daughter) had a good friend named Nun. She was a bit on the plump side. I can't recall the origins of the conversation, but it got jokingly round to sexual preferences. Nan said; 'Nun not care girl or boy, just cares food."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Sorry to hear about your financial woes OWL. It's just as well that you seem to be a resilient chap, and as such I'm sure you will come up with a solution and soldier on. Best of luck mate.

The Mrs has come up with a solution. Hock the big farm to the bank. Get 500k. Pay off the debts, and next year, when we do the first euca tree cut, we can pay off a good part of the new debt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Big Owl hope you got a bit of rain last couple days… rained all last night 

here in NE Isaan….heading to Udon Thani sometime this week for visa extension… have a good week

Plenty of rain. But not so hard. I'll take  as much as the rain-goddess up there can offer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Pretty gutted reading your tale Owl… I can’t really think of much more to add.

I know I’d be devistated.

At least you have a good relationship with Mildred, keep her first and foremost. 

Thanks HP. Kind words. Thanks.

I'll look after her.

• Love It 1

Keep your chin up Owl.

Doesn't matter how long you have been here there are situations that make us feel isolated at times.

Luckily i enjoy my own company in those times????

I'm sure you will engineer the problem out.

After 18 years of trying to teach budgets(mrs still won't put pen to paper) i thought i was there,mrs always comes in a month short but i give the yearly budget upfront.

This year i decided to give an extra months worth to remove the shortfall.

Low and behold her daughter wanted a new motorbike so mum loaned her the money,now she is in a panic to get it all paid back by the end of the year so the bills can be paid.

At the end of the day it's damage control.????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The Mrs has come up with a solution. Hock the big farm to the bank. Get 500k. Pay off the debts, and next year, when we do the first euca tree cut, we can pay off a good part of the new debt.

That could work, if ...

You are sure there is no more debt being hidden from you. Loan shark interest can quickly multiply if a few payments are missed.

You are sure that Mrs Owl can resist visiting the Mango Lady when a new sob story comes from her family (gambling debts, car about to be repossessed, etc.),

Make sure that the bank loan conditions include an option to pay off (entirely or lump sum) early or you could be charged whole interest for the agreed period of the loan.

I hope everything works out well for you all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Surf and OMO were identical, they just went into different packaging. The same applied to Rinso and Persil.

The reason was a sales ploy called brand saturation.

Rinso and Persil were soap-based, Surf and OMO were sulphonate-based.

IIRC, at one stage OMO was doped with detergent particles stained with methylene blue, which the marketing gurus called blue beads of bleach. A total lie.

Always amusing to hear about housewives arguing the toss which brand was better, when the formula was the same.

The aforesaid were all Unilever products, I think FAB and tide were Colgate. It's now 60 years since I worked for Unilever, as a trainee chemist.

Sorry to hear about your financial travails, Owl. I guess trust has been damaged by the re velations.

Back in the day, in England. The first adds on TV, that I remember, were housewifee stuff. Washing powder, soaps and toiletries.

Think that's where ''soap-opera'' came from.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sotonowl said:

@owl sees all Saw these online Owl and thought of Mildreds displays. Way too expensive mind but a good idea none the less. Shouldn't take you too long to knock 10 or 12 of these up.

https://doxla.co/product/children-art-projects-kids-art-frames/?twclid=2-5j2assco668bg59mc5p6dposd

Interesting.

Don't want to make any dosh out of Mildred's art. Just want her to gradually hone her skills. Could help her immensely in the not too distant future.

If there was an 'art school' anywhere near, I'd try to get her in there. It would have to be a daily trip as being without Mildred at home would be unacceptable. But not so. And now, with the big money revelations, I'm sure my wishes would be squashed out of spite to me.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, chickenslegs said:

That could work, if ...

You are sure there is no more debt being hidden from you. Loan shark interest can quickly multiply if a few payments are missed.

Indeed, from what was written, this did not happen overnight, so I would distrust "quick and easy" fixes. From the amount mentioned, this is already well down the slippery slope right before the black chasm, so whatever happens now needs to be carefully planned (and understood by her!!), or this will be throwing the last of the good money after the bad and only hasten the demise.

But I am sure, with proper care, planning and sweat, there is a good way out.

I am sure, Owl, you know all this, even though things might look grim for the moment. Keep us posted, we wish you luck!

• Like 1