Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Any advice on the cyber attack that Southern Water has been exposed to and leaked mine and many others personal details? 

As you know Owl, I'm a wizard at the old webmastering. So! I'll take a butchers and report back.

Easy 3 points coming up this w/e.  Could possibly lift the Owls out of the rel zone; if QPR and Stoke lose. Rangers at Foxes. Stoke have toughie at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

As you know Owl, I'm a wizard at the old webmastering. So! I'll take a butchers and report back.

Easy 3 points coming up this w/e.  Could possibly lift the Owls out of the rel zone; if QPR and Stoke lose. Rangers at Foxes. Stoke have toughie at home.

I'm apprehensive rather than confident Owl. They really hate us, not sure why though and they'd love to get one over on us. They have been losing but they've also been scoring goals recently.

The ground will be full of Wednesdayites all over, in with the home supporters and if they do beat us them Wednesdayites will smash the town up and cause a million pounds worth of improvements.

Plymouth and Leeds in quick succession after that game, I watch every game with bated breath, hoping for the best, fearing the worst. It's going to be touch and go I think but at least this manager has rallied us a bit, the last one was going to break all records for the worst season ever.

UTO & FTB.😉

As for Southern Water-well, just can't get my <deleted> breath with that company. At least they gave all affected a 12 month membership of Experian, hopefully that will offer some protection. 

• Like 1

"Didn't glue any of the 8 PVC pipe sections. Or use sealing tape." What is the reason for that? I would have thought gluing or taping are the norm, but then I know sweet eff all about this stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

"Didn't glue any of the 8 PVC pipe sections. Or use sealing tape." What is the reason for that? I would have thought gluing or taping are the norm, but then I know sweet eff all about this stuff. 

Good point Garry. Me and Mildred cut the female ends off the PVC sections a couple of weeks ago and glued on a male and female screw fitting on each end. On the day the team simply screwed them together, as the pump went down.

I have heard that some DIY farmers (include myself here) have glued the section together, only to have to cut them if they had to pull up the pump for whatever reason. Sometimes the PVC is used to hold it all together in the well, instead of a rope. In the US, they tend to use metal pipes with no rope. All sorts of ways to skin the cat.

I'm also not keen on those metal caps. At least not in the rural environment. They put the pipework - and often cables - under stress. Because the PVC, cable and anything else attached, will rise and fall as the water fills the pipe them gradually runs away, back down to water table level. Better, IMO, to allow this up and down movement. But that has to be factored in with the ground PVC. We will see. Will change my mind for the next one if I have to. Gonna do four in all.

Had a really bad sore throat for a couple of days, so not doing any more until tomorrow. Jest resting up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

As for Southern Water-well, just can't get my <deleted> breath with that company. At least they gave all affected a 12 month membership of Experian, hopefully that will offer some protection. 

Is Southern Water a foreign company? They should take better care of their customers.

Debbie Evans (UK Column) is always on about the terrible service she is getting from her water company. Poor water quality and raw sewage everywhere.

Nome of my family back in England and Wales would drink tap water. In fact even cooking with the water is a no, no.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good point Garry. Me and Mildred cut the female ends off the PVC sections a couple of weeks ago and glued on a male and female screw fitting on each end. On the day the team simply screwed them together, as the pump went down.

I have heard that some DIY farmers (include myself here) have glued the section together, only to have to cut them if they had to pull up the pump for whatever reason. Sometimes the PVC is used to hold it all together in the well, instead of a rope. In the US, they tend to use metal pipes with no rope. All sorts of ways to skin the cat.

I'm also not keen on those metal caps. At least not in the rural environment. They put the pipework - and often cables - under stress. Because the PVC, cable and anything else attached, will rise and fall as the water fills the pipe them gradually runs away, back down to water table level. Better, IMO, to allow this up and down movement. But that has to be factored in with the ground PVC. We will see. Will change my mind for the next one if I have to. Gonna do four in all.

Had a really bad sore throat for a couple of days, so not doing any more until tomorrow. Jest resting up.

Are you saying that you have lengths of PVC from the pump to the bore cap ?

If I understand what you two are saying, my bore pump has 50mm black poly pipe connecting the pump to the bore cap (50mm because of the available water and corresponding pump size) but it also has a stainless steel cable that attaches to the pump (lanyard)

The pump itself originally had a non return valve that held water in the poly when the pump was not running but it is no longer water tight and the water trickles back to the water table.

Its not a real problem, it just means that when the pump first starts it burps and farts a bit…

When the water gets to the bore cap it then connects to 50mm PVC and then to the individual irrigation runs that are 25mm poly.

The problem with using the poly from the pump to the bore cap is that when you lift the pump you need someone to walk the bore cap away so as to not kink the poly and if I understand what you’ve done you will need to hold the pump/PVC whilst someone unscrews the assembled lengths…?

Sounds heavy !

Some people use what’s basically a fire hose to come from the pump to the bore cap, apparently it’s easier to pull but it’s very expensive.

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is Southern Water a foreign company?

I'm not sure whether it's French owned or not Owl. Think Thames got in a pickle as well although that's gone a bit quiet. Shareholders taking their cuts and the money not being invested in infrastructure then going to the government with the begging bowl. Fact is all these companies either get ripped off by investors or workers depending whether they're publicly or privately owned.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

I'm not sure whether it's French owned or not Owl. Think Thames got in a pickle as well although that's gone a bit quiet. Shareholders taking their cuts and the money not being invested in infrastructure then going to the government with the begging bowl. Fact is all these companies either get ripped off by investors or workers depending whether they're publicly or privately owned.

Could well be owned by an 'investment' group. This all started under Maggie and (Sir) Tony carried it on. The biggest problem I see with it, is that different parts of a very complicated, and complex concern, is that different parts are subbed out to different firms. Finishes up that that virtually nothing is decided 'in house', under one umbrella. And the result is that one hand don't know what the other is up to.

The thing is, the customers are paying for these essential services. Sometimes they are bottom of the priority list. And as for the 'regulatory' bodies??

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 7:33 AM, sotonowl said:

Scottish and Southern Water are owned by an Ontario Teachers Pension fund. 

Many privatised companies in the utilities and rail sectors are foreign owned.

Indians Mittal own much of the UK steel industry.

The Chinese are into the ownership of UK wind farms and have a big stake in the new Hinckley B nuclear plant.

Buy British.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, champers said:

Scottish and Southern Water are owned by an Ontario Teachers Pension fund. 

Many privatised companies in the utilities and rail sectors are foreign owned.

Indians Mittal own much of the UK steel industry.

The Chinese are into the ownership of UK wind farms and have a big stake in the new Hinckley B nuclear plant.

Buy British.

Hinkley Point B Station, notice the lack of the "c" in Hinkley is in fact operational, I have worked on it prior to the start of Hinkley Point C station construction which you are referring to. The A station is being decommissioned now and had reactors 1 and 2. The B station has reactors 3 and 4. I wonder how many reactors C station will have although I'm not that interested I must admit.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Hinkley Point B Station, notice the lack of the "c" in Hinkley is in fact operational, I have worked on it prior to the start of Hinkley Point C station construction which you are referring to. The A station is being decommissioned now and had reactors 1 and 2. The B station has reactors 3 and 4. I wonder how many reactors C station will have although I'm not that interested I must admit.

Yes C. I did a small piece of work there myself. Osborn and Cameron went cap in hand to China for some funding. EDF (French) will operate the finished plant.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, roo860 said:

How's Oscar doing not seen any pics of him lately?

He is fine.

Oscar is the 'enforcer'. Anyone even thinks about coming thru the gate he is up, barking and ready for action. Robert is far more laid back in that respect. He just wants to play with any children in the soi.

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

But from the Owls up to the Swans it's close.

We'll probably lose the next one as well Owl, away to Ipswich but you never know. At least the manager has put us in with a chance now after all looked lost not so long ago.

What is that vehicle you thought was a bus, I can't make it out.

Is that the hat lady giving us all a wave.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sotonowl said:

We'll probably lose the next one as well Owl, away to Ipswich but you never know. At least the manager has put us in with a chance now after all looked lost not so long ago.

What is that vehicle you thought was a bus, I can't make it out.

Is that the hat lady giving us all a wave.

On form of the last 5 games, any two from Hudds, Brum and Blackburn would go down with Rotherham. Bristol city got out of the reckoning yesterday.

Yes! That bus. Strange one that. Hope I see it again to get a better look.

That lady was touching up her buddha and giving all the crew on the thread a ''hi there'.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

On form of the last 5 games, any two from Hudds, Brum and Blackburn would go down with Rotherham. Bristol city got out of the reckoning yesterday.

On closer inspection, Plymouth are in the drop mix also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

On closer inspection, Plymouth are in the drop mix also.

Quite. On some of the Owls fans forums I go on they were bemoaning the fact that as we'd started to win then so had the other teams just above us but what that does do inevitably is rope more teams into the battle, there's only so many points to go round.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 3:06 AM, sotonowl said:

Quite. On some of the Owls fans forums I go on they were bemoaning the fact that as we'd started to win then so had the other teams just above us but what that does do inevitably is rope more teams into the battle, there's only so many points to go round.

Brum are in deep poo poo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Brum are in deep poo poo.

Yes, I watched them last night against Middlesborough. The Tony Mowbray illness hasn't hasn't helped them at all which may eventually be their downfall. I think he's on the mend and I wish him well, just hope he doesn't rush back too quickly, take your time Tony.😂

I was fearing the worst when they held onto Stansfield and then signed Pritchard from Sunderland but it's not working for them yet, but things can change quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marty147 said:

I suspect that vehicle it is a mobile music bus that can be hired for your celebration.

Looks very similar to something I recently saw/heard at a local wedding.

They roll up to the venue and start blasting out their wares for everyone in the village to 'enjoy'.

The Thais love their bass!

The one I encountered was also bright red.

Music bus.png

Bang on the money there Marty.

Since that post another very similar has driven down the next soi to us. Pics later.

• Like 2