Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just read on the Post that the storm hit Danang then veered North,so Mr Owl might get some rain after all.

That is just so good. Hope you are right.

I'm not on my knees praying, cause they are still sore from earlier on.

Jedi works in mysterious ways.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Pump up the jam. Where the feet are stomping and the bodies swaying. Y'know what I'm sayin'.

now you got me in the mood.  gonna go for a ride in my .........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I'm only jesting about the Ozzies.

My mum went to Oz to see two of her brothers, and their families. some 35 years ago. She was 72 at the time and decided to go on a camel trek across Australia. The upper age limit was 70 years old. But she forgot her real age and guessed at 68, when pressed, to get on the trip. This was done without the knowledge of her brothers. When they found out she had gone off on the 30 day excursion, they were horrified, and notified the trip organisors.

She never really forgave them. Often referred to them as 'those Ozzies', although born in Essex.

I know you're just "stirring" "taking the p! ss"

I like your mum's style Mr owl.

You might enjoy this little musical interlude.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Well FFF, you have certainly opened a can of worms.

I've been teaching Mildred some cockney rhyming slang. Apples and pairs, dog and bone, that sort of thing. We like it, in a joking way, but Mrs Owl doesn't. She says it is ugly.

You forgot one Owl ...

Trouble & strife!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I know you're just "stirring" "taking the p! ss"

I like your mum's style Mr owl.

Not at all FFF.

Considering there are just a few million people in Australia, their athletes have conquered the world in many sports.

I've great respect for some of Australia's athletes; Dawn Fraser*, Ms Goolagong, Rod Laver, more recently Shane Warne and their distance swimmers. A group of world beaters; Ian Thorpe, Grant Hackett, Glen Housman** and Kieren Perkins. Too many to mention. Not as enthusiastic about their politicians; especially Brundage. 

Ned Kelly's spirit lives on; needed more than ever in these tyrannical times.

My mum took no nonsense from anyone. No sisters, but seven brothers. Irish father; London mother. Passed away aged 84, in the same month as my wife, 13 years ago. That's why I find myself here. We all have a tale to tell though.

* Harshly treated by a nasty politician.

** Cheated out of the world 1500m record.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Not at all FFF.

Considering there are just a few million people in Australia, their athletes have conquered the world in many sports.

I've great respect for some of Australia's athletes; Dawn Fraser*, Ms Goolagong, Rod Laver, more recently Shane Warne and their distance swimmers. A group of world beaters; Ian Thorpe, Grant Hackett, Glen Housman** and Kieren Perkins. Too many to mention. Not as enthusiastic about their politicians; especially Brundage. 

Ned Kelly's spirit lives on; needed more than ever in these tyrannical times.

My mum took no nonsense from anyone. No sisters, but seven brothers. Irish father; London mother. Passed away aged 84, in the same month as my wife, 13 years ago. That's why I find myself here. We all have a tale to tell though.

* Harshly treated by a nasty politician.

** Cheated out of the world 1500m record.

We struggle a bit in Tennis now though we had a good result in the recent US Open. They took away a lot of the  tennis courts and built apartments so for the average person there's not many places to play.

It's funny seeing how some portray the Aussie slang. Just finished an interesting series, though slow to start, called the Leftovers. Voted best series of the last decade by many in the States about what would happen if a whole lot of people just disappeared. The third series was set partly in Australia and though it wasn't too cliched there were lots of blokes eating tucker and having a coldie and fair dinkum shielas. Like if the English were portrayed saying 'Cor Blimey' all the time.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

We struggle a bit in Tennis now though we had a good result in the recent US Open. They took away a lot of the  tennis courts and built apartments so for the average person there's not many places to play.

It's funny seeing how some portray the Aussie slang. Just finished an interesting series, though slow to start, called the Leftovers. Voted best series of the last decade by many in the States about what would happen if a whole lot of people just disappeared. The third series was set partly in Australia and though it wasn't too cliched there were lots of blokes eating tucker and having a coldie and fair dinkum shielas. Like if the English were portrayed saying 'Cor Blimey' all the time.

Struth ruth Ashleigh Barty is the current world number one women player.Uru.Any decent rain Mr Owl?

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

We do say 'Cor Blimey' a lot in London and Essex. I think in rebellion to religion. Up north they say 'toodle pip' a lot. Or 'Aye up'. In Scotland they are always on about 'that's me away', when it's their turn to buy the drinks.

Used to work with a Glaswegian, travelled a lot with him.

Had the 'hard as nails' shell, but underneath, a really gentle guy. Many of his utterances, are not repeatable on this, apparently, family forum. :crazy:

Wales, well it's :

" there we are then"

Which I still use, & Mrs F says also. ????

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Struth ruth Ashleigh Barty is the current world number one women player.Uru.Any decent rain Mr Owl?

Rain!!!!!!!!!

Nothing! Or as I might say to a fellow Essex lad; 'sweet eff a'.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Not at all FFF.

The art of "stirring" and "taking the p! ss" is a fine art used to help people (the target) not to take things too seriously.Once the ground rules have been established great fun can be had in lightening the load.Taking things too seriously leads to stress and depression.I've also explained my expectation theory which is expectations are the only cause of anger or rather when those expectations are not fulfilled.I try to avoid using "all inclusive" words like "only" without clarifying the boundaries,but I can't find one case of anger that doesn't have an expectation as the root cause though I've been looking for one for thirty years.Knowing this doesn't stop me from getting angry but helps to reduce it's duration.

Sorry Mr Owl it's started raining here again luckily we had a break from it this morning so we could cut grass for the cows. 

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The art of "stirring" and "taking the p! ss" is a fine art used to help people (the target) not to take things too seriously. Once the ground rules have been established great fun can be had in lightening the load. Taking things too seriously leads to stress and depression. I've also explained my expectation theory which is expectations are the only cause of anger or rather when those expectations are not fulfilled. I try to avoid using "all inclusive" words like "only" without clarifying the boundaries, but I can't find one case of anger that doesn't have an expectation as the root cause though I've been looking for one for thirty years. Knowing this doesn't stop me from getting angry but helps to reduce it's duration.

Sorry Mr Owl it's started raining here again luckily we had a break from it this morning so we could cut grass for the cows. 

Yes! Bang on the money FFF.

In Isaan there are a series of levels, that any farang, thinking of settling down, should be aware of happening to him;

1 taking advantage

2 taking liberties

3 taking the pi$$

4 taking you for a c--t.

Mostly I hover between 1 and 3 but have been higher on occasions. My good friends Ren (Danish) and Mark (Ozzy) got to go to level 5. But they are no longer with us.

Still no rain!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I woke to our first rain since March or early April this morning, we were gifted 4.8mm by Huey, he then followed up with a further 1mm.

I had a rainwater tank installed this week, finished Friday, but of course whilst the tank is completed the plumbing connections are not... ????

The first pic shows a hansom man and his new tank, the second is taken prior to the roof being installed.

F96EDDA7-3ED3-4017-BDBF-1BDFC9A1646C.jpeg

D0D804CA-6BF2-42FC-B155-F724F852BA59.jpeg

Looks like a hansom man wearing his Blundstones with a stubby!Tap Dogs anyone?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I woke to our first rain since March or early April this morning, we were gifted 4.8mm by Huey, he then followed up with a further 1mm.

I had a rainwater tank installed this week, finished Friday, but of course whilst the tank is completed the plumbing connections are not... ????

The first pic shows a hansom man and his new tank, the second is taken prior to the roof being installed.

F96EDDA7-3ED3-4017-BDBF-1BDFC9A1646C.jpeg

D0D804CA-6BF2-42FC-B155-F724F852BA59.jpeg

Great stuff HP. How are you gonna fill it?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps he's going to stand on those steps and fill it after twenty bottles of Leo?

He might have to import the Leo because I pretty sure those photos are in Oz.Not sure where though the trees look like Blackbutt trees which grow on the east coast but it looks like he's wearing a westcoast eagles shirt with King Gee stubbies.

• Haha 1

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

He might have to import the Leo because I pretty sure those photos are in Oz.Not sure where though the trees look like Blackbutt trees which grow on the east coast but it looks like he's wearing a westcoast eagles shirt with King Gee stubbies.

Ah, I stand sit corrected.

• Like 1