Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

37 minutes ago, faraday said:

Owl, if you banged your head hard & you're feeling under the weather, then go & have an X-ray. Please.

Love the big tree in Udon, what sort is it?

Of course you're not selfish not wanting Mildred to go back to school. It's lovely having them at home.

Hope the weather was good for your holiday; you went to Ireland to see that nice Dr Dolores didn't you? 

I'm not sure what tree it could be. There seems to be a few like that one over the salt flats near me. I'll take some pics next time I'm going that way. That one in Udon is the tallest tree I know of. Although there is a Chilean Pine (monkey puzzle) in Holten (Holland) that is absolutely huge. I'll try to find the pics of that. Of course, our US friend would say that these are small compared to theirs.

While Mildred has been off school, we were doing an hour or so tuition every day. We went back over old ground in the maths. Especially working out land areas, and converting them into rais. Just basic stuff really. But it does incorporate Pythagoras and the area calculation of different shapes.

One interesting thing I discovered recently. If a circle is drawn, and a square placed exactly both in the inside and on the outside. The outside square is exactly double the area of the inside one. And with that information we can say that the area of any circle with diameter 'D' has the area of D2 x 0.786. Fascinating! Milly thought so too. I'll speak to her again on this in a few years time.

The lady you refer to was in Germany, setting up an alternative to the WHO. So I didn't catch her. Later!

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

One day?

Well,I jolly well hope so!Still the Top End is rather marvelous too...it's quite an adventure up there.

Wine country..

DSCN0312.JPG

DSCN0462.JPG

Don’t go talking about wine you’ll upset TBL !!

It seems that football (soccer ????) and wine are not at all agreeable to him ????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

And with that information we can say that the area of any circle with diameter 'D' has the area of D2 x 0.786.

You're going to have to explain that a bit better Owl. Let's say we have a circle with a 6" diameter. We know the area of a circle is calculated by using Area= pi R squared. So this would be A= 3.142 X 3 x 3   which would be A = 28.278 square inches.

How does your formula compare, or am I missing something?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

It seems that football (soccer ????) and wine are not at all agreeable to him ????

He didn't care for Isaan either. He couldn't understand why anyone, who had a choice, would choose to live there. Strange bloke, didn't like football or wine? I wonder if there was any other blokey stuff he didn't like.????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sotonowl said:

You're going to have to explain that a bit better Owl. Let's say we have a circle with a 6" diameter. We know the area of a circle is calculated by using Area= pi R squared. So this would be A= 3.142 X 3 x 3   which would be A = 28.278 square inches.

How does your formula compare, or am I missing something?

It's great to see a post from someone that appreciates football and maths.

Yes, the area of a circle. My dad, before we covered it in school, would tell me pi is 22 divided by 7. Of course, that is an approximation, but near enough for most general uses.

As you say, the area of a six inch diameter circle would be pi x R2 = 28.278 sq inches. The method I refer to would be D2 x 0.786 (rounded from 0.7855) would give 28.296. Using a further decimal place; 0.7855, would give 28.278.

Great stuff! And there is more. If this thread is a bit quiet one day, we could indulge further into math's mysteries.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HighPriority said:

It does seem a shame that TBL is no longer with us. He brought a 'hard hitting' edge to the thread. Very opinionated. And that's good.

I've often thought of PMing him to get him back. Still thinking about it.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Triathlons! Phon Phisai style. I'll enter. Swim across the Mekong. Touch a Lao lady's hand. Swim back. On the bike to Nong Khai. Short time in Mindy's bar*. Back to PP. Start the run to Fao Rai. Die of heat exhaustion on the way back.

My daughter was World Triathlon champ. Took her title in New York many moons ago. 

* Paid for by the organisers'.

Talking about 'Die of heat exhaustion', I see there are two reports today about people collapsing and dying while running in a half-marathon and also a health campaign run:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1194485-run-for-health-campaign-proves-fatal-for-two-men/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1194489-senior-disease-control-official-dies-while-taking-part-in-run/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Talking about 'Die of heat exhaustion', I see there are two reports today about people collapsing and dying while running in a half-marathon and also a health campaign run:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1194485-run-for-health-campaign-proves-fatal-for-two-men/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1194489-senior-disease-control-official-dies-while-taking-part-in-run/

Heat should always be considered. And that's only in a sprint (compared to HP's ironman). 

I reckon HP's tri', would need to start in the night. But! As they say in the French FL, 'If you're thinking of dessert don't cross the desert'.

Just take some water with you. And drink a small amount every few minutes.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Heat should always be considered. And that's only in a sprint (compared to HP's ironman). 

I reckon HP's tri', would need to start in the night. But! As they say in the French FL, 'If you're thinking of dessert don't cross the desert'.

Just take some water with you. And drink a small amount every few minutes.

No ironman here Owl, ironman (and women, but not your daughter obviously...) are obsessive <deleted> with a decent serve of OCD thrown in for good measure !

????

Edited by HighPriority
Felt like editing ????????‍♂️
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It's great to see a post from someone that appreciates football and maths.

Yes, the area of a circle. My dad, before we covered it in school, would tell me pi is 22 divided by 7. Of course, that is an approximation, but near enough for most general uses.

As you say, the area of a six inch diameter circle would be pi x R2 = 28.278 sq inches. The method I refer to would be D2 x 0.786 (rounded from 0.7855) would give 28.296. Using a further decimal place; 0.7855, would give 28.278.

Great stuff! And there is more. If this thread is a bit quiet one day, we could indulge further into math's mysteries.

I still wasn't getting it Owl, but I do now. I couldn't get my head round it until I divided your answer of 28.296 by 0.786 = 36. It was only then I understood the D2 you wrote was actually D squared, I now understand.

As far as other maths mysteries? Would you mean things like the golden ratio????? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

If TBL is having a sneaky visit, he will be sad to read these comments.

Well..participation is on a voluntary basis..yes?

As I recall he  tossed his rattle out of the pram and departed in high dudgeon.

I have always liked high dudgeon as a dessert and equated it with "spotted dog" at my school,rather like rhubarb and custard or the accursed sago pudding....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

“ Spotted dog “ ?

Brits know it as spotted dick !! ( and no that’s not an euphemism for .... um .... a spotted dick ????) but a suet and dried fruit pudding often served with custard .

Here :

044C9806-4887-4C8F-B46E-B888DDFFBB29.jpeg.d2689a2b46fc6648cac36c7fbe3e31e4.jpeg

As they say, “ the proof is in the pudding “ ????

Ha..ha..ha..

For some reason or another it changed to "spotted dog" in the colonies.

These things do happen as you now..

Gawd...in a can?

Well....it's probably like 'Tom Piper' sponge pudding as

in the Scouts I loved the stuff.

It's hard to believe that my grandfather lived on this cuisine (bully beef,McConaghey's stew,apple jam and Tom Piper for 3 years..1916-1919.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup , in a can !!

But I seem to remember you boiled the can in water before opening and pouring on the custard, was pretty darn good !!

Can’t imagine microwave getting the same results .

Yes..boiling the can as in the video.

Please don't  believe that the video is a commentary on British cuisine..British pluck and courage more like..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOr8OtpctpE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

People seem to think of Issan as village life. I have been to Issan many times but never been to a village. Just the towns and cities.

My wife's village is 38km to the nearest 7/11.

No stores or restaurants.

Quite different from the towns and cities, which is always a relief to get to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ha..ha..ha..

For some reason or another it changed to "spotted dog" in the colonies.

These things do happen as you now..

Gawd...in a can?

Well....it's probably like 'Tom Piper' sponge pudding as

in the Scouts I loved the stuff.

It's hard to believe that my grandfather lived on this cuisine (bully beef,McConaghey's stew,apple jam and Tom Piper for 3 years..1916-1919.

Spotty dog  - I couldn't eat a whole one:

Museum of London | free museums in London | things to do ...

• Haha 1