Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 08-12-2020 - Tuesday evening

A bit of sadness in the village  recently. A chap under forty passed away. Mrs Owl said she knew him as a young kid. Sad.

Just as I was telling Kadilo about the Iron's new found consistency, they reverted back to their old ways at the week end. Should have been 5-0 up at HT. Finished up losing. What a shocker at Bolton?! Good to see some fans back.

Sad news about the guy. How did that happen? 

Bad night for us. Looked good for a half but never took our chances. Back down to earth but still improving. United getting knocked out of the CL as I write so not all bad ????

Love seeing your pics. Miss Isaan so much. Can’t wait to return once the nonsense ends. 

Skype the gf and see them all dressed up in their wellies as the cold nights set in. Love this time of year with the outside fire cooking the sticky rice. 

Spent an enjoyable last Xmas in Udon. It seemed to be taking off in Thailand with lots of school kids dressing up in Santa outfits. 

This year will be very different back in Essex with my folks. Have not had a Xmas with them for donkeys but in a strange way I’m looking forward to it. Will be very quiet but be nice to be there. 

What’s your plan for crimbo Owl? And the rest of you guys?.......

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

Another excellent post Owl, I always enjoy them.  Nice &  cold here at 16°C, gonna have a small fire outside, drink some coffee whilst our 'boy' does his doggie stuff.

Do you have any problems with snakes in your ponds? ????

There's one in ours that's been eating the frogs, & I worry that he or she ???? will scoff the baby pla nin.

Ah....Crimbo...how I'd love some homemade Christmas cake. My sister made one & brought it over 4 years ago. Delicious!

The shop ones here just ain't the same.

Brexit about done....? My gawd it's been a long time. Boris'll be able to waffle on about how well the Tories have performed.

I see Matty had a blub on the box over the err... injections.

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Sad news about the guy. How did that happen? 

Bad night for us. Looked good for a half but never took our chances. Back down to earth but still improving. United getting knocked out of the CL as I write so not all bad ????

Love seeing your pics. Miss Isaan so much. Can’t wait to return once the nonsense ends. 

Skype the gf and see them all dressed up in their wellies as the cold nights set in. Love this time of year with the outside fire cooking the sticky rice. 

Spent an enjoyable last Xmas in Udon. It seemed to be taking off in Thailand with lots of school kids dressing up in Santa outfits. 

This year will be very different back in Essex with my folks. Have not had a Xmas with them for donkeys but in a strange way I’m looking forward to it. Will be very quiet but be nice to be there. 

What’s your plan for crimbo Owl? And the rest of you guys?.......

The chap that passed on, had a long-term illness. Sounded like meningitis to me. But info very sketchy.

I've spent a couple of strange xmases down the years. Last one was in Lao about five years ago. It was very quiet.

My plans are to carry on as normal, but be sure to listen to Queenies speech (????) before retiring to bed full of reishi wine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Another excellent post Owl, I always enjoy them.  Nice &  cold here at 16°C, gonna have a small fire outside, drink some coffee whilst our 'boy' does his doggie stuff.

Do you have any problems with snakes in your ponds? ????

There's one in ours that's been eating the frogs, & I worry that he or she ???? will scoff the baby pla nin.

Ah....Crimbo...how I'd love some homemade Christmas cake. My sister made one & brought it over 4 years ago. Delicious!

The shop ones here just ain't the same.

Brexit about done....? My gawd it's been a long time. Boris'll be able to waffle on about how well the Tories have performed.

I see Matty had a blub on the box over the err... injections.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

We did have problems with snakes in the early days. Only seen one this year, although Mildred said she saw one climbing a ladder!!!

I think what I miss most is eating turkey sarnies for the week after Xmas. With pickle of course.

I had to laugh at that SAGE professor who let it slip about sterilisation. Was taken down from YT within minutes, but its saved with someone (I know who).

Boris! Never make a footballer!

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

How long has he been in Laos?

Did you drive up to collect him in the end - what about quarantine on the Thai side of the border?

He had been in Laos for 4 weeks. Only found out 5 minutes ago. I didn't collect him. I'm glad I stayed out of it TBH.

Edited by owl sees all

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

He had been in Laos for 4 weeks. Only found out 5 minutes ago. I didn't collect him. I'm glad I stayed out of it TBH.

So...he tried it on and it didn't work?

That reminds me of a funny story told to me by an Aussie expat mate over a few Leo's about his "kidnapped" Sister-in-Law...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

So...he tried it on and it didn't work?

That reminds me of a funny story told to me by an Aussie expat mate over a few Leo's about his "kidnapped" Sister-in-Law...

This 'family' news broke about 10 days ago. I was under the impression that he had 'just' been caught. Mrs Owl just informed me that he was detained 4 weeks ago. What do I know?!

There are two theories as to why he was in Laos without documentation (so I'm told). One to buy cheap clothes to sell at the many weekly markets around here. And secondly, that he went to see a Lao lady he knew. I think personally it was to do with d---s.

This particular brother is not my favourite at all. Don't trust him; don't believe him. Good job he lives in Chaipoom. 

This reminds me of The Poison BinL stories of old.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This reminds me of The Poison BinL stories of old.

The Thai tell the most wonderful stories....ahem..

I try to teach my wife that there is really no need to do it here but 53 years of ingrained behavior has left its indelible mark.

The old BinL thread was probably the most honest thread I encountered on ThaiVisa..the Good,the Bad,and the Ugly.

But you are doing well,my friend.

Just one question-are you using a new lens or camera?

29 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm glad I stayed out of it TBH.

That's usually the best course of action for me. Don't get involved in the minutiae and everything goes through the wife.

I've had some family members come to me directly in the past asking for money and they always got redirected to the wife.

Too many times I'd ask about it later and it would turn out to be BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

The Thai tell the most wonderful stories....ahem..

I try to teach my wife that there is really no need to do it here but 53 years of ingrained behavior has left its indelible mark.

The old BinL thread was probably the most honest thread I encountered on ThaiVisa..the Good,the Bad,and the Ugly.

But you are doing well, my friend.

Just one question-are you using a new lens or camera?

Thanks Ody.

I use both a phone camera or Minolta Dimage. The minolta (can be used in SLR mode) has a 40 x zoom; and that's handy. If I try to zoom the phone the pics are awful. But for general snapping the phone is more suitable.

When I first inherited the phone, it was on energy-saving mode. I changed it to max output, some time later, and the pics seemed to improve. Don't know if that actually made any real difference. Could it be I'm getting the hang of holding the phone still?

Mildred's new phone (that's why I got her old one) takes better pics than either of mine, but I've yet to suss out how to transfer them to my computer.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks Ody.

I use both a phone camera or Minolta Dimage. The minolta (can be used in SLR mode) has a 40 x zoom; and that's handy. If I try to zoom the phone the pics are awful. But for general snapping the phone is more suitable.

When I first inherited the phone, it was on energy-saving mode. I changed it to max output, some time later, and the pics seemed to improve. Don't know if that actually made any real difference. Could it be I'm getting the hang of holding the phone still?

Mildred's new phone (that's why I got her old one) takes better pics than either of mine, but I've yet to suss out how to transfer them to my computer.

You need a charging cable for the phone which is also a data cable. Plug that into the phone , and the other end into a USB port on the computer. Open whatever file manager is on the computer, then go hunting in the phone for the pics. Once you have found them, it's usually just copy and paste into whatever folder you want.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 6:45 PM, owl sees all said:

Just a note on Stuart Pettman.

As I thought, he does live in Thailand. He packed in snooker about 7 years ago, but started playing again last year. He manages Hustlers* in Bangkok.

Cuemaster Jimmy White, no stranger to Thailand himself, played an exhibition pool game at the club in 2014, against Praa.

If I get a chance, I'll visit the club and try to get a chat with Stuart. A fascinating character, who has experienced the snooker life, with its highs and lows, and has came through smiling. 

Can even get a game of chess at the club.

* Hustlers Bangkok is located in the basement of Times Square:

https://www.hustlersbangkok.com

• Like 1

Owl

A video that maybe of interest to you:

While the whole video in itself is over 3 1/2 hrs long and narrated ( translated from french ) by the most boring voice you have ever heard it is full of interesting facts, and myths, about the great pyramids. One theory that the great blocks of stone used for the pyramids, some weighing in excess of 1,000 tons were actually cast , like concrete, not sculpted from blocks.

The ancient Egyptians , in the video, are given credit for discovery of many mathematical formulae, long before Archimedes and his buddies even existed, and the results can be seen in the pyramids themselves with measurements of exactly 1 metre used, with precision, in many places.

Scroll forward to around the 44 minutes mark for the mathematical discovery parts of what we now call millimetre, centimetre , metre and Pi .

The Golden Ratio is also mentioned and  starts at 54mins.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Owl

A video that maybe of interest to you:

While the whole video in itself is over 3 1/2 hrs long and narrated ( translated from french ) by the most boring voice you have ever heard it is full of interesting facts, and myths, about the great pyramids. One theory that the great blocks of stone used for the pyramids, some weighing in excess of 1,000 tons were actually cast , like concrete, not sculpted from blocks.

The ancient Egyptians , in the video, are given credit for discovery of many mathematical formulae, long before Archimedes and his buddies even existed, and the results can be seen in the pyramids themselves with measurements of exactly 1 metre used, with precision, in many places.

Scroll forward to around the 44 minutes mark for the mathematical discovery parts of what we now call millimetre, centimetre , metre and Pi .

Thanks Andy. I'll watch the vid later. 

You are bang-on-the-money about the pyramids. They are a great mystery and hold all sorts of secrets.

I see in the news that an American astronaut has suggested that humans may have evolved from aliens. Maybe the aliens knew stuff that enabled the pyramids to be constructed.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks Andy. I'll watch the vid later. 

You are bang-on-the-money about the pyramids. They are a great mystery and hold all sorts of secrets.

I see in the news that an American astronaut has suggested that humans may have evolved from aliens. Maybe the aliens knew stuff that enabled the pyramids to be constructed.

Yes, the video brings to light many questions that remain unanswered, for example how did the ancient Egyptians manufacture vases and statues from rock harder than granite ??

David Icke maybe has the answer ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, the video brings to light many questions that remain unanswered, for example how did the ancient Egyptians manufacture vases and statues from rock harder than granite ??

David Icke maybe has the answer ?

Ickeee has many answers. Some of his words, written decades ago, are coming true.

I met a professor a few years back who was insistent that the dimensions of the Egyptian Pyramids stopped matter decaying if it was precisely place within. We were sharing a bottle of single malt at the time and I've forgotten a lot of what he said.

He went on to say - as far as I can recall - that barren ladies would conceive if they had sex in exactly the right spot inside the pyramid. Probably at a special time too. Which might explain the mummies. Fascinating stuff.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Ickeee has many answers. Some of his words, written decades ago, are coming true.

I met a professor a few years back who was insistent that the dimensions of the Egyptian Pyramids stopped matter decaying if it was precisely place within. We were sharing a bottle of single malt at the time and I've forgotten a lot of what he said.

He went on to say - as far as I can recall - that barren ladies would conceive if they had sex in exactly the right spot inside the pyramid. Probably at a special time too. Which might explain the mummies. Fascinating stuff.

Yes , some of it is a little far out for my brain to comprehend but interesting all the same.

The video shows some of the dimensions , tunnels 68cm square stretching for tens of metres yet perfectly straight and with tiny variations in tolerances for example, used in the construction of the pyramids and how they would be difficult to replicate with today’s technology and machinery available .

I recommend you watch the whole thing, but maybe not in one go ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Scroll forward to around the 44 minutes mark for the mathematical discovery parts of what we now call millimetre, centimetre , metre and Pi

Firstly, I'll admit so far I've only watch the clip listed above.

However, I'm not sure how to follow this.

I'm not saying saying the Egyptians didn't discover a way to define the metric units, but the video claims:

"Centuries later these discoveries were taken out of secret coffers and renamed."

"They were presented as recent discoveries and the French appropriated them "Made in France""

Yet according to wiki:

"A new unit of length, the metre was introduced – defined as one ten-millionth of the shortest distance from the North Pole to the equator passing through Paris, assuming an Earth's flattening of 1/334."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_metre

Or is this an incredible coincidence that two naturally occurring items like a drop of water and (part of) the earth's circumference, one could be multiples of the other, even though by exactly a thousand million?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, I’m half way through and find the video makes a lot of claims  !!, from in which exact order parts were constructed to what tools and forms were used when no trace of either remains.

I’m up to a part about how statues and vases were made from a rock harder than granite !!

Some of the theories in the video may seem a little far fetched but compared with the alternatives are still worthy of attention.

Some food for thought!!

I've just finished watching the complete documentary - a marathon three and- a-half hours.

It was very interesting, but I have no idea of whether this is some sort of conspiracy theory or not.

The last half-hour was spent showing how the Egyptians spread their concrete casting and metric system around a lot of the world.

The thick plottens.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've just finished watching the complete documentary - a marathon three and- a-half hours.

It was very interesting, but I have no idea of whether this is some sort of conspiracy theory or not.

The last half-hour was spent showing how the Egyptians spread their concrete casting and metric system around a lot of the world.

The thick plottens.

Yup, am in the last 20 minutes now.

I agree , very interesting and certain to cause some controversy .

On 12/14/2020 at 11:14 PM, grin said:

Had not heard of a lady getting the max there.

She was Russian, Inoff the Red.

Can OSA explain why so many great snooker players come from Essex:? Rocket Ronnie, Steve Davis, Stuart Bingham (all World Champs), Ali Carter, Barry Hawkins and a few others I have forgotten.

1 hour ago, champers said:

She was Russian, Inoff the Red.

Can OSA explain why so many great snooker players come from Essex:? Rocket Ronnie, Steve Davis, Stuart Bingham (all World Champs), Ali Carter, Barry Hawkins and a few others I have forgotten.

Don’t forget about Joe Johnson, one of Bradford’s finest !!