Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 11/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, owl sees all said:

It's great to see a post from someone that appreciates football and maths.

Yes, the area of a circle. My dad, before we covered it in school, would tell me pi is 22 divided by 7. Of course, that is an approximation, but near enough for most general uses.

As you say, the area of a six inch diameter circle would be pi x R2 = 28.278 sq inches. The method I refer to would be D2 x 0.786 (rounded from 0.7855) would give 28.296. Using a further decimal place; 0.7855, would give 28.278.

Great stuff! And there is more. If this thread is a bit quiet one day, we could indulge further into math's mysteries.

If you would like a closer approximation to pi on a calculator just remember the sequence 113355 and divide 355 by 113.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup , in a can !!

But I seem to remember you boiled the can in water before opening and pouring on the custard, was pretty darn good !!

Can’t imagine microwave getting the same results .

Yes, there’s something to be said for traditional home cooking... ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Well, what can I say? Up where I come from (Sheffield) we had a potted dog which was actually potted meat or beef spread if you're a southerner. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum but here goes,

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/268542-potted-dog-where-do-we-get-the-name-from/

That's just how I roll.

Sometimes the police don’t catch on if I do this...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, grin said:

If you would like a closer approximation to pi on a calculator just remember the sequence 113355 and divide 355 by 113.

Yes indeed grin!

The 22/7, in an earlier post, was derived through calculations by Archimedes, and the 355/113 some years later by a Chinese chap who used a multiple-sided polygon approach.

Fascinating stuff.

It's funny. My girlfriend loves her brown rice as I do and she says it's more expensive in Thailand than Australia. Yet the farmers get a small amount. How does that work.

On the war stories topic they had a free day on an ancestry site for war records so I looked up my grandfather. I had heard he had got in some sort of trouble in the the first World War for running off with a friend and some ladies in Singapore. The records showed he'd been in New Guinea and then on through Asia and then he left abruptly. Not sure if the story is true or why he was in New Guinea and Asia in World War I. Training I suppose or on the way somewhere. The interesting part was that the records showed that 30 odd years later he had changed his date of birth so he could join World War II and he had some years in Europe..this time he left with his honour intact. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It's funny. My girlfriend loves her brown rice as I do and she says it's more expensive in Thailand than Australia. Yet the farmers get a small amount. How does that work.

On the war stories topic they had a free day on an ancestry site for war records so I looked up my grandfather. I had heard he had got in some sort of trouble in the the first World War for running off with a friend and some ladies in Singapore. The records showed he'd been in New Guinea and then on through Asia and then he left abruptly. Not sure if the story is true or why he was in New Guinea and Asia in World War I. Training I suppose or on the way somewhere. The interesting part was that the records showed that 30 odd years later he had changed his date of birth so he could join World War II and he had some years in Europe..this time he left with his honour intact. 

My old grandad signed up for a Yorkshire regiment but was refused on age grounds , he was born Dec 1899 .

So he popped over to Lancashire and signed up there , lying about his age obviously.

Imagine that ?, it would have been like fighting for the other side ????

( obviously I am joking in that last sentence and I have nothing but admiration for any person from any county that participated in any wartime action ).

Okay, that’s the last of my war stories, I promise ????????

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 12:30 AM, faraday said:

As Bamberr Gascoigne would say:

"Your starter for 10, what is the name of Jack & Jill's dog?"

IMG_20201201_215644.png

I have no idea, though I’m certain it’s something inappropriate... ?

Dick ? Fannie ? Squirrel humper...?

• Haha 2

The battery on that old Merc looks like it came out of an old Panzer.

Never heard of Stuart Pettman. I am watching the snooker on Eurosprot what's on at the moment, Champion of Champions I think, should finish this weekend.

Keep dropping the football comments in Owl, it'll keep that TBL away with a bit of luck, those comments are like garlic is to Dracula to him.

How you get on with the Golden Ratio?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

The battery on that old Merc looks like it came out of an old Panzer.

Never heard of Stuart Pettman. I am watching the snooker on Eurosprot what's on at the moment, Champion of Champions I think, should finish this weekend.

Keep dropping the football comments in Owl, it'll keep that TBL away with a bit of luck, those comments are like garlic is to Dracula to him.

How you get on with the Golden Ratio?

I think you are right about the battery. Note the engine.

Stuart wrote a book about snooker some years ago. I wonder if anyone has read it? I'll try to get hold of a copy. World ranked in the 20s a few years ago.

Imagine The Irons winning the EPL. Up there with Ipswich, Forrest and Leicester as shocks. Liverpool and City and Chelsea are finished as contenders for 20/21. Don't fancy The Blades to do top 4 either.

Ah yes! The golden ratio. Is it not near Chiang Mai? No of course not; silly me. Getting me goldens mixed up.

• Haha 1

1011161863_bandungbigtree02.png.9e0998a06c11a0ef37e323741049f0f1.png

We have some similar looking trees near here, much taller than any others around. They produce these large "helicopter" seeds - about 15 to 20 cm in length. After a windy night we might find 40/50 or more in our garden, even though the nearest tree is at least 250m away.

Dipterocarpus Alatus Seed Isolated On White Background. Stock Image - Image  of green, fall: 73725257

The tree is Diptocarpus alatus. I believe the local name is Yang or Yang Na.

Edited by chickenslegs

18 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

1011161863_bandungbigtree02.png.9e0998a06c11a0ef37e323741049f0f1.png

We have some similar looking trees near here, much taller than any others around. They produce these large "helicopter" seeds - about 15 to 20 cm in length. After a windy night we might find 40/50 or more in our garden, even though the nearest tree is at least 250m away.

Dipterocarpus Alatus Seed Isolated On White Background. Stock Image - Image  of green, fall: 73725257

The tree is Diptocarpus alatus. I believe the local name is Yang or Yang Na.

Yes! That's the one.

1387512277_bandungbigtree03.png.7b81a2c7f6ba0dabc7cb1ad6767bdd63.png

Just a note on Stuart Pettman.

As I thought, he does live in Thailand. He packed in snooker about 7 years ago, but started playing again last year. He manages Hustlers* in Bangkok.

Cuemaster Jimmy White, no stranger to Thailand himself, played an exhibition pool game at the club in 2014, against Praa.

If I get a chance, I'll visit the club and try to get a chat with Stuart. A fascinating character, who has experienced the snooker life, with its highs and lows, and has came through smiling. 

Can even get a game of chess at the club.

* Hustlers Bangkok is located in the basement of Times Square:

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

It’s a lovely thought Owl but realistically not gonna happen. Top 10 would be an achievement but we can dream. 

All they need is a bit of consistency.  Down the years I've seen them smash Leeds 7-0 when Revie's team were top doggies. Hit Carlisle for 5 (don't laugh) when they were top of the league. Also seen them crumble to lesser teams though. Spurs hit them for six at Upton Park a while back. Bunked off school to watch that shameful display.

Moysee has it all sorted. A much underrated manager, who will make The Irons as solid at the back as they are exciting going forward.

They are no push-overs anymore.

• Like 1