Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

220942017_nov-Udongianttree.png.071941f6b5ee72064b23090ecdc24b13.png

The tall tree above, in Udon city:

I asked my wife if she knew where it was. She recognised it and also told me about the tree.

Apparently it's a rubber tree, but not the type you see on rubber farms. She said the sap is a lot harder/thicker than the usual rubber tree sap.

It's also protected, making it illegal to cut it down due to the type of rubber tree it is.

Are there any rubber tree experts out there to enlighten us further?

Btw Owl, aren't we still waiting to hear you spill the beans as you promised, about payment for the tractor?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I know quite a few on here are anglers. 

I'm not by the way although my Dad and brother's are. When I was a kid, Dad took us to his club's fishing waters and tried to teach us son's fishing (my dad has sadly decided to retire from fishing this year as he is in his late 80s). I did win 6 shillings in a fishing competition when I was primary school age, but I preferred sitting there and watching the birdlife than my fishing float - I'm still a birdwatcher.

Anyway, I wanted to recommend a BBC series to you which now available on YouTube called 'Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing'. There's 3 series of 6 × 30 minute episodes and a recent 1 hour Christmas special. Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse are two famous comedians in the UK, though they usually work with other people. Both have had heart problems. The premise is that Mortimer had a triple bypass and become a bit reclusive. Whitehouse, his longtime mate, who is a keen angler, invites Mortimer to join him to travel to different parts of the UK to try to catch specific fish. They just chat and fish. It's charming, funny and sad. The star of the programme though is the UK scenery.

Sure you'll like it. It's a very easy relaxing watch.

https://youtube.com/user/tram31000

If the link doesn't work then Google 'Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing'.

(S1 Epi3 near Buxton - close to my home - is my fav, STUNNING scenery...think there's a couple of episodes near Essex and Hertfordshire for you southern lads)

Thanks for that Brad.

Watched the Xmas special and a couple of the southern area episodes.

I lived quite close to Kings Weir for a while about 15 years ago.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Was gonna spill the beans anyway next Owl Log; but here goes. Yes! But!

Yes, but...on his way to pay you the money he owes he was dragged into a pub by a school friend he hasn't seen for years and was persuaded to put the entire amount on a horse that was a certain winner. It ended up being a certain candidate for the knacker's yard.

His long-lost school friend was never seen again. Same for your dosh.

Am I close?

P.S. Regarding the tree: Yang is Thai for rubber.

Edited by bluesofa
Addendum
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, but...on his way to pay you the money he owes he was dragged into a pub by a school friend he hasn't seen for years and was persuaded to put the entire amount on a horse that was a certain winner. It ended up being a certain candidate for the knacker's yard.

His long-lost school friend was never seen again. Same for your dosh.

Am I close?

P.S. Regarding the tree: Yang is Thai for rubber.

Just asked Mrs Owl about the tree. She says it is Na Yang, or Nayang.

Regarding the 12k. It is an interesting tale. Very  un-Thai-like. But a sting in the tail.

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2020 at 8:39 PM, owl sees all said:

People lost during 2020. All, in some way had influenced my thinking and made me what I am today.

Des O'connor
Alan Minter
Bobby Ball
Frank Bough
Albert Uderzo
Ray Clemence
Jack Charlton
Terry Jones
Harry Gregg
Kirk Douglas
Maurice Setters
Sean Connery
Chris Barker
Kenny Rogers
Peter Bonetti
Tim Brooke-Taylor
Stirling Moss
Eddie Large
Milly Small

Little Richard
Trevor Cherry
Tony Waiters
Don Talbot
Everton Weekes
Diana Rigg
Ian Holm
Frank Windsor
Trini Lopez

JJ Williams
Papa Boube Diop
Jill Gascoine
Peter Green
Eric Hall
Helen Reddy
Gérard Houllier
Norman Hunter
Bill Withers
Honor Blackman
Barbara Windsor
Willie Thorne
Dave Prowse
Spencer Davis
Julian Bream
Diego Maradona
Nobby Styles
Wayne Fontana
AT

Tommy Docherty just managed to sneak himself onto the 2020 list. I don't think there are many of those "charismatic" characters left in British football. He was no saint, but (like Bill Shankly, Cloughie, even Alex Furguson, IMO) added something to the "beautiful game".

Of course, none of these guys could have succeeded in our current #metoo/PC world.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A rubber tree? That knowledge poster said a Yang. Never mind. It's well documented on YT. Estimated at over 65 metres tall.

Was gonna spill the beans anyway next Owl Log; but here goes. Yes! But!

Can you post a link to YT above? I did have a look, without any luck.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:17 AM, Odysseus123 said:

That's a bluddy big tank!

I must say HP that that looks like a brilliant water system that you have installed-I showed your photo to a farmer friend who's comment was "Wow!"-quite an accolade coming from one of those preternaturally reticent rural types.

It is STILL raining here after almost a month-good Englishy rain and the earth is still soaking it up, I think about 800-1000 mils thus far..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I must say HP that that looks like a brilliant water system that you have installed-I showed your photo to a farmer friend who's comment was "Wow!"-quite an accolade coming from one of those preternaturally reticent rural types.

Well I’m almost speechless Ody, if he’d added how hansum I was I think it would be the greatest compliment of my life to date...

Thank you both. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Well I’m almost speechless Ody, if he’d added how hansum I was I think it would be the greatest compliment of my life to date...

Thank you both. 

Now...don't get frisky with me and me mate..china..

Leave that sort of stuff to the dark side????

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My searches just come up with the Ko Phangan tree - claimed as Thailand's tallest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCluq95VDug

Regarding your wife's comments - it doesn't seem to be a "rubber tree", but does have a resin that can be collected and used in various applications:

Dipterocarpus alatus... also known colloquially as the resin tree ... In Cambodia, the wood is much valued in construction and cabinetwork, when not exploited for its oily resin. Generally, resin is collected for the following uses: wood lacquering, draught-proofing of boats and traditional medicine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipterocarpus_alatus

I think you're right on that, regarding it not being used in the traditional sense of a rubber tree. (My wife did say it wasn't the type used on rubber farms.)

Even looking up ยางนา (yang na) from the wiki entry, google still translates it as rubber, (same as ยาง).

I looked in my larger Thai>Engrish dictionary but couldn't find ยางนา.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

On Lamphun Road at the condo where I used to live in Chiang Mai, it is lined with those kind of trees. Getting in the glass -fronted elevator facing the road, I didn't reach the top of the trees until I got to the tenth or eleventh floor.

They must be fairly hardy beasts, they've had decades of traffic fumes trying to kill them. About 2 metres diameter at the base.

I think the big ones are 200 years old at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

On Lamphun Road at the condo where I used to live in Chiang Mai, it is lined with those kind of trees. Getting in the glass -fronted elevator facing the road, I didn't reach the top of the trees until I got to the tenth or eleventh floor.

They must be fairly hardy beasts, they've had decades of traffic fumes trying to kill them. About 2 metres diameter at the base.

Thanks for that Lacessit. Absolutely fantastic area for big trees. I sent the drone over when you posted.

1559748390_LamptonRdChiangmai01.png.d00e65968d7e682842c0c3d91c74e497.png

I counted over 100. Think they must be numbered too.

1682337335_LamptonRdChiangmai02.png.5a57e6bd78c09998f9433acc9f5f3214.png

These ones pictured are at the other end of the road to your condo. I'm gonna recharge the drone and venture north.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1