Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Spoke to a monk at the Buddha and he said they had gradually been cut down in the last decade. He spilt the beans on what they do. The trees cannot just be cut. But a dead one can be. The people who want the tree down inject something into the base. The tree gets sick. Leaves fall off, and for a small donation the appropriate authority pronounces it dead; and records it as such. Cutting then gets underway. Being Thailand; this explanation sounds quite reasonable to me. Sad as it is.

That is sad, but as you say, it's basically par for the course.

Business and money are more important than heritage.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

. He spilt the beans on what they do. The trees cannot just be cut. But a dead one can be. The people who want the tree down inject something into the base. The tree gets sick. Leaves fall off, and for a small donation the appropriate authority pronounces it dead; and records it as such. Cutting then gets underway. 

Don’t be giving the missus any ideas now, I’m sure they can extend that to ferangs for a small fee. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'll take that on board Kadilo. Seen two of my farang pals come to sticky ends here. But my wife is different!

Right at the mo' she is out visiting buddha places to get the lottery nos for next time (16th). Not just any old buddhas, but those with special powers.

If she finally gets lucky I could become expendable. But, on the upside, I might get a extravagant sent off. Have to show the villagers how much I was missed.

As opposed to how far the bullet missed by.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

I'll take that on board Kadilo. Seen two of my farang pals come to sticky ends here. But my wife is different!

Right at the mo' she is out visiting buddha places to get the lottery nos for next time (16th). Not just any old buddhas, but those with special powers.

If she finally gets lucky I could become expendable. But, on the upside, I might get a extravagant sent off. Have to show the villagers how much I was missed.

I’ve only recently realised that there were Premiership Buddhas, I thought they were all the same, silly me. 

One if the ones my gf goes to see you have to book weeks in advance. 

Be interested to know more of the stories re your friends sticky ends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

I’ve only recently realised that there were Premiership Buddhas, I thought they were all the same, silly me. 

One if the ones my gf goes to see you have to book weeks in advance. 

Be interested to know more of the stories re your friends sticky ends. 

I have put the stories on TV before. I can do it again but it's sad. Both very sad. And after all these years; 6 in Mark's case and 3 in Ren's, I still don't know anything like the whole story on either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I have put the stories on TV before. I can do it again but it's sad. Both very sad. And after all these years; 6 in Mark's case and 3 in Ren's, I still don't know anything like the whole story on either.

I vaguely remember you mentioning them but an update would be good. 

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As opposed to how far the bullet missed by.

My wife said she missed me; never even noticed the arrow. Sure she will try again. Have to be alert with these ladies

There is a story about my uncle. I'm his favourite nephew, and he has no children or wife. He is getting on a bit. And! He is a multi-millionaire.

Nothing like the thought of riches to focus these Isaan lasses minds.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

1559748390_LamptonRdChiangmai01.png.d00e65968d7e682842c0c3d91c74e497.png

Great picture.

It must make a hell of a racket on the rooftops when they all shed their "helicopter" seeds.

We have just 2 trees nearby and I collected at least 50 seeds from my small garden last time we had a windy night.

Inline image

Nearby is about 500m away

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I think the Mrs has gone over Sawang Dan Din way; AT's area.

They do rocket launching over there. It's all ladies. I never saw a guy there when I observed a few years back.

First the customer has to go to see the special person (not sure he is a monk) to tell him your desires. Lottery win, riches, fertility, death to cheating b/f (or g/f) or sick hubs (to put him out of his misery naturally), more (or less) sex, lose weight etc. He writes down some stuff on a bit of paper. Then it's over to the main compound where the paper is attached to the rocket with an elastic band; along with other's bits of paper.  It's only 1000 baht a pop.

And up the firework goes. Clapping and stomping takes place. Ever so lucky way to spend yer money.

Market forces: A pure case of supply and demand. Bullshi!t is in demand, therefore it's supplied.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Last week Mrs Owl and a team went to the special buddha where they cast the nails into the stream. I pointed out that if readers fancied an easy 6 million they should go for curvy numbers. Lottery numbers last time:

Curvy or what?!

247154 needs some pointy bits in there Owl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

You don't know just how close you are to my army number, a couple more needed for the full issue of 8, so 3/4 of the way there, obviously not in the right order either but impressive none the less. ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sotonowl said:

You are right of course fellow Owl. But 1, 4, and 7 are definitely a no no.

The point I was trying to make to the Mrs was; it would be difficult to see/interpret zeros, eights and threes with four inch nails. 

I think the monks should bend a few up.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

You are right of course fellow Owl. But 1, 4, and 7 are definitely a no no.

The point I was trying to make to the Mrs was; it would be difficult to see/interpret zeros, eights and threes with four inch nails. 

I think the monks should bend a few up.

'I think the monks should bend a few up.'   Is that some sort of euphemism, given the reputation they have for deviancy?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HighPriority said:
On 1/3/2021 at 8:21 AM, sotonowl said:

All these little quips about football that you all keep dropping in, are they just designed to keep that TBL's away?????

Football !

I was wondering what they were on about...

I think we're on the same page here!

I'm allergic to sport.

At school I was always the last to be picked for football - I always thought 'drawback' was a football term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I was so poor at football, I always played in the position of left-back, but in my case left back in the changing room. 

I played semi-pro until retiring at 42. Went on 5 years too long. Injuries during that spell catching up on me now.

• Like 1