Inconsistent Dates and Times

JetsetBkk

What is the point of having a date and/or time that shows the day of the week but not the date?

I know when November the 11th was. It was one day after November the 10th and one day before November the 12th.

But I don't know when Thursday was. Was it the 12th, 13th, 14th?

And why don't you always show the time? Why be so inconsistent?

442638309_DateInconsistency.jpg.72e004234c6be4252f6b832c91fd5f15.jpg

Really not the brightest kind of date/time display.

At least adding the date/time as shown on hovering over the post date stamp would be an improvement (there is more than enough space for that).

datestamp.jpg

I would always use a "min/hours/days/month/years) ago" added by a "clear text" date/time)

5 min ago (Wed Nov 20, 2019, 2:07 PM)

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It means Thursday of the past week or the current week if is Friday or after.

Last Thursday was the 14th.

Thanks, Joe. I know what it means, but I think it's a daft way of doing it. In the image I posted, the first post was on the 11th and I simply wondered when the following post was, as the date and time weren't displayed. It was a surprise to find it was 3 days later. But when looking at the posts, you might think the two posts followed each other within minutes. 

And why is the time not displayed after a few days? Why should we not be interested in the time just because the post is a few days old? It really doesn't make any sense to me other than programmers doing stuff just because they can.

So I was commenting that it would be more useful for people to understand the timing of posts if all posts showed the date and time in the same format.

Some times are even displayed as "Just now" or "A moment ago" or some such words - I can't remember exactly what they are. I'm sure the programmers thought they were being really clever to use such phrases. But IMHO, they weren't.

BTW, I just noticed - after reading the comment by KhunBENQ - that hovering the mouse over the date does show the full date and time. Is that new? But would be better to have the full date and time displayed always, IMHO.

8 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

BTW, I just noticed - after reading the comment by KhunBENQ - that hovering the mouse over the date does show the full date and time. Is that new?

I can't tell. But probably not new.

I worked for many years in SW test and so have an "instinct" :smile:

And more to find (CTRL + Right Click) :smile::

paste.jpg

On 11/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I worked for many years in SW test and so have an "instinct" :smile:

That's a good spot! I worked for over 30 years in software from machine code programming of microprocessors to  software engineering, s/w manager, engineering manager/director. There is so much on this web site software that I would change to make it more logical, more clear. But people would say I'm just nit-picking.

Being "nit-picking" is, of course, a distinct advantage when developing software, and when writing the test specifications for the software that other people develop.

Here's another nit-pick: hover the mouse over the "Posted" date on 3rd April. Is it 3rd April or 4th March? Answer: never use numbers for months when the format is unclear.

I like it the way it is now because I often do not know today's date but I know that today is the current day and yesterday is the last day before today.

Also, I rarely know the current time and "one hour ago", for example, gives me an approximate idea how recent the post is, although one hour sometimes seems longer than at other times.

Archived