Unresponsive Laptop on TV

KhaoYai

Just recently, if I've been on the forum for longer than say 30 minutes, my laptop becomes unresponsive.

The first thing that I notice is that when typing, the letters start arriving on the page a few seconds after I've actually typed them. Then pages take a long time to change and eventually my laptop completely freezes. I cannot even close it down in the normal way and have to hold down the power button to close it. During this time I can hear my hard drive working away all the time whether I'm doing anything or not.

Just recently I also get an annoying little pop up advertising thing in the bottom left hand corner of my screen. I can click that off but it returns if I change pages. Firefox is set to prevent pop ups.

This doesn't happen on any other site although TV is the only one I spend much time on. I'm running Windows 10, using a Firefox Browser and I've cleared my cache recently.

I've tried clicking on the 'Support' tab at the top of the page but it doesn't work. 'Activity', 'Browse' and 'More' work but not 'Support'.

Any thoughts?  Be gentle - I'm not the world's best at tech.

Run a good anti-virus program -I use Avast and it's free for the standard program. Run smart scan first , then full virus scan and then a boot time scan.

Install cc cleaner and do a full cleanup of your pc and use the registry cleaner as well. 

You can use this to see what is loading up at startup - disable anything you don't use to make it faster.

Finally run malwarebytes as a final cleanup for malware, phishing programs and the likes. 

How full is the laptop hard disk ? If it's over 80% try offloading stuff you don't need to an external disk - this recommends 25% !

https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/

Hopefully that will sort out any gremlins you may have developed over the months. 

yes, I do fix my multiple computers often so it will work for you too.

your computer install extra file somewhere and you have to get rid of it.

start from control panel--open to see all installed programs and if you see something fishy uninstall it.

second approach is more simple and is the best--find recovery option in control panel and recover your software to factory setup.

Prolly you browser needs to dump cache

Install and run the following from Snapfiles

Kaspersky free AV

Bleach Bit

Malwarebytes

Superantispyware

Spybot Search Destroy

The last you need to immunize before running and will take awhile to complete.

Delete all items that return in searches.

Rootkit is possible.

For TV site install UBlock, privacy badger. See that any script running is not unresponsive. Check your extensions are quality and not too many.

Google: reset Firefox. It's simple. Under about see you are updated to latest rev

Above poster provides a great tip. Open the programs window from control panel. Have a look. Only standard programs should exist. If you used an installer program or got the OS installed illegally here in Thailand they always load all sorts of <deleted> on the PC. Remove all suspect programs.

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Run a good anti-virus program -I use Avast and it's free for the standard program. Run smart scan first , then full virus scan and then a boot time scan.

Install cc cleaner and do a full cleanup of your pc and use the registry cleaner as well. 

You can use this to see what is loading up at startup - disable anything you don't use to make it faster.

Finally run malwarebytes as a final cleanup for malware, phishing programs and the likes. 

How full is the laptop hard disk ? If it's over 80% try offloading stuff you don't need to an external disk - this recommends 25% !

https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/

Hopefully that will sort out any gremlins you may have developed over the months. 

Excellent suggestions, exactly what i use keeps nasties away!

QUOTE from OP: Just recently I also get an annoying little pop up advertising thing in the bottom left hand corner of my screen. I can click that off but it returns if I change pages. Firefox is set to prevent pop ups.

Same thing here, and I am travelling through Portugal - I have absolutely no need for these annoying pop ups (in Portuguese!!!).

And it happens only with TV Forum, so no virus or ad infection.

If this continues, it will be a reason for me to not visit this forum again.

2 minutes ago, Victornoir said:
328/5000

OP, you probably have a virus.

As said before, Avast is effective, but especially in prevention.

In curative, I advise you to install Malwayrebyte (free trial 15 days) and run a full scan. Then you can uninstall to keep the benefit of free for future use.

Strange that I have the exact same - multiple - symptons.

And like the OP, only with TV Forum.

I'm not into conspiration theories, but.......

Guys, thank you for your replies. I have Malwarebytes installed and I'll run the other checks suggested. As I said earlier I'm no techie but I would have thought that if I had a virus or something, the problems would not be limited to the TV site??

I was hoping for a reply from admin but there's time yet.

To be honest, whenever I've had problems in the past, I've found that a re-install of Windows is just about the only way to fix it. Fortunately my copy of W10 is legitimate so I won't have a problem - just a pain in the proverbial.

Can't help thinking these problems are more 'site related' though.

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

...Can't help thinking these problems are more 'site related' though.

If it were site-related, would not everyone running Windows 10 and Firefox have the same problem? I use Chrome and therefore cannot verify it on my PC.

Let's hear from others who use Windows 10 and Firefox.

40 minutes ago, Maestro said:

If it were site-related, would not everyone running Windows 10 and Firefox have the same problem? I use Chrome and therefore cannot verify it on my PC.

I use windows 8 and firefox.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 AM, KhaoYai said:

Just recently, if I've been on the forum for longer than say 30 minutes, my laptop becomes unresponsive.

How much memory do you have on your laptop? The symptoms you mentioned makes think that could be the problem.

Go to task manager to see how much you are using. 

Some suggestions - after running virus scans and checking both hard disk space and memeory usage.

Adblock/Addblock Plus/Disable Flash/Disable background sync/Hardware acceleration/ and check all other site settings in firefox (I use Chrome so cant help there).

Ps - make one change at a time. Try it and if no difference then put it back and move to the next one. If you change everything at once you may cause other problems, but have no idea if only 1 or 2 changes solved the problem.  Try different things one at a time until you find the one that fixes it. 

On 11/24/2019 at 2:50 AM, ubonjoe said:

How much memory do you have on your laptop? The symptoms you mentioned makes think that could be the problem.

Go to task manager to see how much you are using. 

Looking at my C Drive - 856gb of 915 free,

Looking at Task Manager........see graphic, I have no idea what it means - good or bad. I mote its saying Firefox is very high but how would I change that? Total memory use at the time was around 66%.

PC1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've run Malwarebytes and several other malware/virus checkers - nothing.  I still (purely from a novice point of view) feel that the problems I am having are related to thie website.

Today, I spent around 1 hour on other sites, checking my email etc. etc. - no problems. Move over to TV and 30 minutes later I'm having the same old problems so had to shut down and restart.  Last night I was streaming television on Sky Go for about 3 hours - no problems. The problems I first mentioned definitely only happen after I've been on TV for a while.

I have other problems following a recent Windows upgrade (as always!!!) so I think the easiest way of sorting this out is to do a re-install,

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Further to my posts above. I am now using a different laptop and having exactly the same problems, I can't help thinking its connected to the amount of advertising on Thai Visa - some of which takes a while to load.

Mamma mia! Use a different Browser! How difficult can that be?

On 11/23/2019 at 10:59 AM, Maestro said:

Same for myself on desktop pc Windows 7 with the latest FireFox 71.0 64bit

To be fair same happened on older FF 66

It usually occurs after 30 min or so on TVF

Just gets slower & unresponsive.

Only TVF & does not affect any other open tabs etc

I have found only way out is to close the tab & even that is a delayed reaction

Not a big problem but it is obvious

On 12/18/2019 at 1:47 PM, Eindhoven said:

Mamma mia! Use a different Browser! How difficult can that be?

Just today I see this long running thread.

I have W10 1909.

I use latest Firefox with Noscript add-on (some learning curve).

Recently stumbled upon "uMatrix" extension for Chrome.

Both very helpful. uMatrix was a surprise find.

I never use any third party virus scanners, malwarebytes etc.

And I doubt that such problems are general types of virus.

Browser specific at best. Websites are packed with scripts that could go berserk.

A total of 600 MB memory and more by Firefox is not unusual.

I prefer Firefox but if there is any kind of problem I just copy/paste the URL to Chrome and see whether it's better there.

And before going to hell I would even use Edge.

And what I saw when browsing over the thread:

don't bomb your house just to kill a cockroach. :biggrin:

On 11/23/2019 at 7:45 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Waste of time. It's all exclusively TVF. I have the same problem which never happens on a different website.

I upgraded from a tablet because TVF is unusable on a tablet, but since the announced something or other last Friday my large laptop which had been working perfectly is now becoming as slow and hard to use as the laptop was. Seems the upgrade or whatever it was has not made TVF function better, but worse. Certainly didn't stop the pop up obscuring the screen, but at least on the bigger screen it's easier to ignore.

Don't discuss ways of blocking ads on here as that will get the thread closed.

Most of us probably know the reason for the problem but forum rules means we can't discuss it.

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

don't bomb your house just to kill a cockroach. :biggrin:

AKA  don't reinstall the operating system just because one (Thaivisa) website has some crazy non responsive scripts.

I'm using Firefox ( Win XP Pro )

and find that only having 2 Thaivisa tabs open at a time considerably lessons the chance of system lockups !

Archived