Securing uPVC Windows

UKJASE

The bars on windows are secure enough to detour the average crook. But you must make sure that you can get out if needed, 

in other words don’t weld them shut. 

Many people have died because they couldn’t get put during a fire. 

The saddest stoty I read in Los Angeles the mother and father got out the front door and they went to the toddlers window to get them out .... they couldn’t the bars off and it was a fatality...

for wooden windows, they have something like this.

It is screwed in the wood with specials one way drive screws.

However PVC windows and posts are different and not solid as a wooden window is.

Dont know if they have a like wise system for PVC windows.

SecuStrip Plus voor naar buitendraaiende ramen 1500 mm

15 hours ago, Guderian said:

I have sliding internal security grilles on all my uPVC windows. I don't much like living behind bars, so when I'm in residence (which is most of the year) they stay open and I have an unobstructed view out. If I'm away overnight or go back to the UK then they all get closed and double padlocked. It only takes a matter of minutes to secure the place like Fort Knox. I've got the same thing on the uPVC patio double-doors. The village where I live is gated and has 24 hour security and we haven't had a burglary in over eight years, many houses (especially when the owner is Thai, it seems) don't bother with window bars at all. The OP may feel the need to keep them locked all the time, but at least in the event of a fire you can get out quickly.

s-l300.jpg

Something that can be opened will be opened...

Not safe at all in my opinion.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:20 PM, worgeordie said:

What happens if the fire is outside the bedroom door ? any house can catch fire,silly,

but if your possessions are more valuable than your life,OK up to you.

Bars on the windows are not going to stop anyone if they want to enter your property,

it will just slow them down, take a few tiles off the roof and they are in.

You would be better off with PIR alarms,and PIR security lights.

regards worgeordie

Totally agree - the wife watches some nightly Thai “village gossip” show on national TV there are frequent reports of locals burning to death or being dramatically rescued from houses with window bars.

We have sliding bars in the bedroom but what good is that if the wife never hangs the keys on the hook I installed - they never learn.

Meshtec International Co., Ltd. established by Peter Taylor along with Andy & Dave Edlin. We are the innovative designers and manufacturers of High Tensile Woven Stainless Steel Security Screen Systems for doors, windows, barrier screens and balustrade fencing systems for both residential and commercial applications globally. Privately owned & managed Meshtec has offices, dealerships and licensed distributors in Asia, North America, Europe And Africa. Independent manufacturers such as Crimsafe , Majestec , Supascreen , Invisiguard , Secureview , Guarda and Clear Guard all use genuine Meshtec Security Mesh.

Industries
Building Materials
Company size
201-500 employees
Headquarters
Chiangmai, Thailand
Type
Privately Held
Founded
Specialties
High Tensile Stailess Steel Woven Mesh, Security Doors & Windows, Baulstrade , Fencing, Patio Enclosure

I have just added these brackets to the windows for now.  If i want to remove them in the future i can fill the holes i hope and will look ok.  The uPVC window has metal in the frame, so i screwed them in with self tapping screws and i think it will make the windows a lot more difficult to prise open.  I will get some sort of emergency hammer too for each room, in case of fire, so the windows can be broken.  I put one at top of the window and one at the bottom.  I guess i could put more for extra safety, but i have tried opening these windows now from the inside, and with a good shove they dont move at all. Total cost - about 10 baht a window ????

A little ugly i know - but i think i prefer this to bars

One problem though - it means we cant open the window at all (this is ok in the bedrooms as we never open those windows), but any ideas for something similar that will still allow us to open the windows in the lounge on an evening?

window_lock.jpg

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Meshtec International Co., Ltd. established by Peter Taylor along with Andy & Dave Edlin. We are the innovative designers and manufacturers of High Tensile Woven Stainless Steel Security Screen Systems for doors, windows, barrier screens and balustrade fencing systems for both residential and commercial applications globally. Privately owned & managed Meshtec has offices, dealerships and licensed distributors in Asia, North America, Europe And Africa. Independent manufacturers such as Crimsafe , Majestec , Supascreen , Invisiguard , Secureview , Guarda and Clear Guard all use genuine Meshtec Security Mesh.

Industries
Building Materials
Company size
201-500 employees
Headquarters
Chiangmai, Thailand
Type
Privately Held
Founded
Specialties
High Tensile Stailess Steel Woven Mesh, Security Doors & Windows, Baulstrade , Fencing, Patio Enclosure

Have you an office in Pattaya?

Archived