Securing uPVC Windows

UKJASE

Hey guys - we got burgled earlier in the week.  2 of our windows were opened using brute force and a metal tool of some sort.

We have strong looking, hinged uPVC windows that have a handle on the side, and open outwards.  The windows have four locking points, but one of the locks metal sheared off, and the other 3 simply gave way, by the looks of it, and the burgler climbed in.

The windows are similar design to the one in the google image i have attached.  

Any idea how i can make the windows more secure.  I was thinking of buying some brackets and simply screwing the windows shut from the inside.  I will paint the brackets white, and hopefully it wont look too bad.  The disadvantage of this though is that we wont be able to easily open the windows, without using a screwdriver to unscrew the bracket.  Some sort of quick release bracket would work nicer, though of course this could be released by a burgler if they smashed the window.

Any tips guys?

window1.jpg

If a burglar can break a window and get in, that just doesn't sound like a secure solution. There are at least 3 solutions to securing your windows:

1. Window bars. Easy to find at big hardware stores.

2. Roller blinds like from arc-windows-doors

3. Security screens like from winmasterthai, majestec

Most Thai's prefer the bars. They have a deterrent value and surely some thieves may decide not to tangle with them and go looking elsewhere, but be warned the fastening systems on some bars are too weak and you especially need something with strong fixings that can't be nearly silently pried right off with a crowbar.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Image result for image of internal window security barsinternal burglar bars is what we have.

Great if you need to get out the window in case of a fire,

stuff stolen that can be replaced or the family and i roasted...what a choice.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

You can have secure doors you can open don't be so silly, if you live in a fire hazard house then do something about it,  easy peasy. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You can have secure doors you can open don't be so silly, if you live in a fire hazard house then do something about it,  easy peasy. 

What happens if the fire is outside the bedroom door ? any house can catch fire,silly,

but if your possessions are more valuable than your life,OK up to you.

Bars on the windows are not going to stop anyone if they want to enter your property,

it will just slow them down, take a few tiles off the roof and they are in.

You would be better off with PIR alarms,and PIR security lights.

regards worgeordie

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What happens if the fire is outside the bedroom door ? any house can catch fire,silly,

but if your possessions are more valuable than your life,OK up to you.

Bars on the windows are not going to stop anyone if they want to enter your property,

it will just slow them down, take a few tiles off the roof and they are in.

You would be better off with PIR alarms,and PIR security lights.

regards worgeordie

Apologies I was silly posting silly. ????

I concur with your comments and that many property types can be fire hazardous.

My complacency is based on where I live and the house I live in where over 20 years there have been no break ins in and around our village area.

We had internal barred windows fitted when the house was built and IMO would be of some use as a deterrent. 

My house, although only 5 years old, is fairly unsecured and it does concern me somewhat.  The windows and doors are flimsy and could easily be forced.  Having said that, there has only  been one local break in that I know of in the last 5 years, and that was in an unoccupied house by a drunk local, who was nabbed by the local security people. Having said all that, to properly secure the windows and doors in my place would be an expensive option and I am reluctant to spend the kind of money needed to make it impenetrable, even if that were possible.  Its an individual risk assessment issue I guess and in the OPs situation, i would be inclined to put it down to bad luck and an isolated incident and not go to any further expense. Its a judgement call and a difficult one to be definitive about.  The advice above,  to fit CCTV and alarms is a good one and I may just go down that road.  Not that I'm sure how much of a deterrent they are, but they have the virtue of being cheaper to fit.  

20 hours ago, canopy said:

If a burglar can break a window and get in, that just doesn't sound like a secure solution. There are at least 3 solutions to securing your windows:

1. Window bars. Easy to find at big hardware stores.

2. Roller blinds like from arc-windows-doors

3. Security screens like from winmasterthai, majestec

Most Thai's prefer the bars. They have a deterrent value and surely some thieves may decide not to tangle with them and go looking elsewhere, but be warned the fastening systems on some bars are too weak and you especially need something with strong fixings that can't be nearly silently pried right off with a crowbar.

If they fail a good large German Shepherd dog that you feed only cooked meat to is the best deterrent. Why cooked meat, there are some nasty types that throw baited raw meat over the fence.

it seems there are no easy options.  if someone wants to get in pretty badly then they can either crowbar a window, crowbar a door, smash a window and then open it, or come through the roof space after removing tiles.  nothing is going to be 100% secure.

i put some cameras up yesterday, and will get a full system installed next week.  i put some camera CCTV warning stickers on the gate, so hopefully anyone checking out if we are home will see those and may be put off.  the cameras are quite large so hopefully can be easily seen.

I also bought some cheap metal brackets from DIY shop yesterday and will probably screw my windows shut for the moment.

i dont like those bars for windows as i find them unsightly.  plus we have 20 plus windows, so would be a big job.

to get in last week he used a crowbar and got under the lip of the window and prised it open.  If i could attach something along that lip that would stop him getting his crowbar beneath the window and thus not being able to prise it open, then that would be a great addition too, but i am not too sure what i could attach that could not be easily prised of by him before prising the window - but i will keep thinking

Thanks for help and ideas so far guys ????

I have sliding internal security grilles on all my uPVC windows. I don't much like living behind bars, so when I'm in residence (which is most of the year) they stay open and I have an unobstructed view out. If I'm away overnight or go back to the UK then they all get closed and double padlocked. It only takes a matter of minutes to secure the place like Fort Knox. I've got the same thing on the uPVC patio double-doors. The village where I live is gated and has 24 hour security and we haven't had a burglary in over eight years, many houses (especially when the owner is Thai, it seems) don't bother with window bars at all. The OP may feel the need to keep them locked all the time, but at least in the event of a fire you can get out quickly.

s-l300.jpg

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Just have one window were burglar bar has a lock. Doesn't need to be visible from outside.  We had this system in Africa. 

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Looking round my house it seems to be mainly made of concrete.... does concrete burn ?

Put up 10 cameras round my place...CCTV sticker on every window and door...make sure you place the recording device in the loft out of sight as unless your also recording to the "cloud " they would simply steal the recording.

Also got one of those small cameras circa £35 in main living area that you can set times when you want it to send you an SMS if any movement or noise within its view. 

It wont stop the determined professional thief but may put of the amateur...

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Looking round my house it seems to be mainly made of concrete.... does concrete burn ?

Maybe only the roof joist for the false ceiling under the steel and ceramic roof. Bedding, mattresses, curtains and furniture  burns well also. Mostly smoke inhalation danger from stuff inside your house. However most people in house fires perish from smoke rather than burns

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Do you have a sofa ?, if yes, just look on Youtube how

they burn, and if the flames don't kill you the toxic

fumes will.

regards Worgeordie

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Do you have a sofa ?, if yes, just look on Youtube how

they burn, and if the flames don't kill you the toxic

fumes will.

regards Worgeordie

Yeah, some sort of cane/rattan thing, if that was on fire (at the other end of the house) I have 3 other doors I could exit if the front door is not accessible.

15 minutes ago, maprao said:

Maybe only the roof joist for the false ceiling under the steel and ceramic roof. Bedding, mattresses, curtains and furniture  burns well also. Mostly smoke inhalation danger from stuff inside your house. However most people in house fires perish from smoke rather than burns

Had a quick peak through the man hole... no wood up there.... does plasterboard burn ?

We got broken into about 8 years ago they used a shovel to pry open the window buggered the frame doing so, we installed the bar system but you have to drill all the way through your wall and have a blind end on the out side, otherwise they or him or her can kick them in, 

having a timer on tv + connected to lights going off at various times can help depending if it was just a chance break-in. 

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah, some sort of cane/rattan thing, if that was on fire (at the other end of the house) I have 3 other doors I could exit if the front door is not accessible.

Ok you don't need to worry,but others might not be so lucky.

regards worgeordie

If you're not willing to secure your house like a prison, you can get some dogs. Should be 3 or more, and not only small ones. Burglars sometimes try to poison the dogs, and come in when they died, that is why you need many. Just having them around the house will keep most burglars away. And it's good for keeping snakes out too ????

Get a dog with a really high protective instinct, like a German Shepherd, Dogo Argentino or a Rottweiler and give him free roam of the house while you’re away. It will take probably a year or two for the dog to develop that protective sense if you get a puppy. Alternatively an alarm system and infrared cameras in combination with motion sensors that trigger lamps that rival the sun coming up will help, too.

Archived