The week that was in Thailand news: Thai banks: The "Chang Principle" and "Leo Hypothesis"

rooster59

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

On one occasion a consular official in Penang stamped the observation page in my passport, the only page left

Asking for stamp at immigration to be placed on a used unfilled page  is a hit and miss affair at Survanabhumi but I ask any way.

I’m a newbie here (8 years), and have made a monthly transfer of funds from my US Bank to the New York branch of a Thai bank where I have a local account here. This month the transfer didn’t go through. The US bank executed the transfer but it was refused by the NY Thai branch. Went to my bank here and they said the NY branch changed their routing processes and I would have to contact them to fix it !?!? Still working on it.

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Actually he is not free to write what he likes every week- he lives in Thailand!

Everyone has a choice. That's the point.

Many expats from UK will have plans to return to UK in later years to take advantage of heaith services, free bus passes, education services for their dependants blah blah blah probably without contributing to UK all their working lives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I must be off the scale in your " Healthy Disrespect " scale then, I'm ex forces, ex civil servant who worked for a police force, no hard feelings though Rooster, someone has to keep the civvies safe from harm ???? That includes keeping the red hoards at bay in Germany, done my bit in NI and done flood relief in the UK back in the 70's while you were sunning your backside in Thailand. 

Enjoyable read this week, thanks.

And I have no idea how I haven't been nominated for POTY LOL ????

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I must be off the scale in your " Healthy Disrespect " scale then, I'm ex forces, ex civil servant who worked for a police force, no hard feelings though Rooster, someone has to keep the civvies safe from harm ???? That includes keeping the red hoards at bay in Germany, done my bit in NI and done flood relief in the UK back in the 70's while you were sunning your backside in Thailand. 

And I have no idea how I haven't been nominated for POTY LOL ????

I just can't help but ask: How would you know Rooster's backside was being exposed to the sun?

25 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

And I have no idea how I haven't been nominated for POTY LOL 

Edit.

Anwered the wrong post.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I just can't help but ask: How would you know Rooster's backside was being exposed to the sun?

Come come now bluesofa, he was a young man when he got here, probably had testosterone oozing from every pore ???? I unfortunately was a tad older but the effect was the same ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Come come now bluesofa, he was a young man when he got here, probably had testosterone oozing from every pore ???? I unfortunately was a tad older but the effect was the same ????

The oozing bit doesn't paint a pretty picture.????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Many expats from UK will have plans to return to UK in later years to take advantage of heaith services, free bus passes, education services for their dependants blah blah blah probably without contributing to UK all their working lives.

You mentioned the freedom to write not the freedom to clear off. When it comes to freedom of expression that does not exist here, especially on some subjects.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Actually he is not free to write what he likes every week- he lives in Thailand!

Yeah, the interesting stuff never gets discussed; people outside of Thailand don't care, and those in Thailand are, frankly, scared.

As a fellow "closet anarchist" this is A breath of fresh air to read well grounded, educated, and enlightening copy in stark contrast to the usual fare. This is the kind of astute "finger on the pulse" reporting which preempts the usual wisea$$es, trolls, career arguers, and the just plain ignorant. I've been building and establishing a new life here in Bangkok for the past seven years, and have been resoundingly successful and happy, but there is a bit of a vacuum as to what's going on behind the scenes, which your story fills quite nicely. I have been blessed with good common sense and resourcefulness and done well navigating banks, immigration, problems with phone and internet service etc. Said common sense tells me what in g0d's name  is ANYONE doing paying 6000 baht ($200 US) for admission to ANYTHING here? Those are typically inflated American expenses for such things as concerts etc. I don't go to concerts anymore. And why would anyone keep 250m baht ($8m US) in an ordinary bank account given dozens of more sensible alternatives such as money market accounts or mutual funds? I have $150,000 US invested in a high yield mutual fund at a well respected and vetted company (Vanguard) which pays dividends of appx $1100 US every quarter, and has yielded over $30,000 US in gains since March 2017. My common sense tells me not to keep any more money in the bank than necessary to fulfill monthly income requirements (65,000 baht/month) for retirement visa. I never keep more than 15,000 baht cash on hand in my apartment, and never more than 5000 baht on my person. Transactions are made by Bangkok Bank credit card when possible, and they send an immediate confirmation of each charge via SMS message. For any problems there is a particular manager at Bangkok Bank at Paragon who is superb, speaks great English, and has a great sense of humor. Thanks for a great piece of writing, a high point in my day. Wonder if I'll bump into you one of these days at FCCT? The first 5 pints are on me. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift
spelling
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Sorry to see 3 of you so sad.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

As a fellow "closet anarchist" this is A breath of fresh air to read well grounded, educated, and enlightening copy in stark contrast to the usual fare. This is the kind of astute "finger on the pulse" reporting which preempts the usual wisea$$es, trolls, career arguers, and the just plain ignorant. I've been building and establishing a new life here in Bangkok for the past seven years, and have been resoundingly successful and happy, but there is a bit of a vacuum as to what's going on behind the scenes, which your story fills quite nicely. I have been blessed with good common sense and resourcefulness and done well navigating banks, immigration, problems with phone and internet service etc. Said common sense tells me what in g0d's name  is ANYONE doing paying 6000 baht ($200 US) for admission to ANYTHING here? Those are typically inflated American expenses for such things as concerts etc. I don't go to concerts anymore. And why would anyone keep 250m baht ($8m US) in an ordinary bank account given dozens of more sensible alternatives such as money market accounts or mutual funds? I have $150,000 US invested in a high yield mutual fund at a well respected and vetted company (Vanguard) which pays dividends of appx $1100 US every quarter, and has yielded over $30,000 US in gains since March 2017. My common sense tells me not to keep any more money in the bank than necessary to fulfill monthly income requirements (65,000 baht/month) for retirement visa. I never keep more than 15,000 baht cash on hand in my apartment, and never more than 5000 baht on my person. Transactions are made by Bangkok Bank credit card when possible, and they send an immediate confirmation of each charge via SMS message. For any problems there is a particular manager at Bangkok Bank at Paragon who is superb, speaks great English, and has a great sense of humor. Thanks for a great piece of writing, a high point in my day. Wonder if I'll bump into you one of these days at FCCT? The first 5 pints are on me. 

So now you're no longer a closet anarchist having 'come out'  on TV?

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I can confirm that my backside has never been exposed to the sun in the 70s or any other decade for that matter. 

Besides in never go out in the sun, being like the locals I shun it until 4pm. 

Rooster

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

In 1990 I was living in Bangkok in cheap Klong Toey apartment. Incredibly two Mormons were trying to convert the locals (and I don't mean to a different type of gas).

I shut the door in their faces once I'd stopped laughing.

A week later I was talking about it to another ferang who lived in the same building. He reckoned they had since been nabbed by immigration for working without a work permit,

Praise the lord!

I usually take the P out of religious people. 

In the case or Mormons I take the second M.

Rooster

• Haha 2