Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

What new laws are being introduced constantly to make it harder for “Farang” to retire here.

Not really laws but "changes":

The TM30 debacle.

The insurance debacle.

Banks making it harder to open accounts for foreigners (like in China).

Increasingly ridiculous paperwork requirements at immigration.

Trying to charge 1000 baht for home visits.

Thai embassies around the world reducing the number of types of visas that they will process.

Increasingly unfriendly immigration officials at the airports and land crossings.

Refusing to tackle the currency issue and claiming to have tried to tackle it with fictitious activities.

Amphoe offices refusing to issue yellow tabien baans.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, GeorgeCross said:

seriously what the hell did they expect?! they pull the welcome mat away and wonder where all the people went.

And they are not exactly making us ex-pats feel really welcomed by the way they are messing around with conditions which in the past were not necessary.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:44 PM, GeorgeCross said:

thats the busiest week of the year you are not supposed to find ANY rooms there by now!

My brother and his wife are coming to Samui for first 2 weeks in March, they booked through an agent in England. I went to check out the accommodation which they have reserved an found it entirely unsuitable and situated on the road. I tried to change for them to get what they were told to expect, that is near the beach, but i am told that they are fully booked.

the Russians were going to the do the same plus the Chinese as well.now they hope the Indians  do the same.my friend  said pattaya was quiet holloween,now he is up nth and he says it is very quiet as well no tourist and the expats who live up there not going to the bars in town

20 hours ago, kellio said:

It's becoming more and more obvious everyday from an expat living in Pattaya on and off for almost 20 years, that the current governing Thailand regime is making it more and more difficult for foreigners (Who I'll refer to as farangs) to stay here for extended periods or to retire here.
New laws are being introduced constantly or are put forward almost daily and all appear to targeted the white skinned while other laws are being introduced just as quickly to make it easier for other Asians such as the Chinese and Indians to come and stay here.

I don't and have never had a racial bone in my body but the reasoning behind all this is unfathomable in that the Chinese for example, spend all their money on package deals before they leave China so upon their arrival in Thailand, travel around in Chinese owned tourist buses and stay in Chinese owned hotels and eat in Chinese owned restaurants.
They rarely spend any money here at all except maybe to buy a souvenir or 2 from Chinese owned stalls or souvenir shops.and never venture out unless in groups organized by the same Chinese owned travel agencies.
They wander around following the guy with the little flag on a stick with necks on swivels and never break that line regardless of traffic or red light traffic signals.
As a result, they are constantly causing traffic jams and holding up the life supporting vehicle traffic delivering food and other essentials to the rest of the populace.
I've actually seen them step in front of emergency vehicles like ambulances with red and blue light flashing and sirens on full volume accompanied by other such vehicles like fire brigades and police just in case they break the line.
On the other hand, they are now allowing Indians to come here with little or no security checks and there's now talk of them allowing and introducing laws that don't require the Indians to even have passports and are subsiding air fares so they can travel here return for as little as US$100.
I was told a few weeks ago that that the government is going to increase the allowable number of Indians permitted to 10 times the current number.
The Indians are as bad if not worse than the Chinese as they completely ignore local culture and laws. 
They will loiter about or wander around in groups of no less than 4 and more often 10 or 12 and are usually all males with rare exception. 
They hang around street corners or on footpaths blocking all other pedestrian traffic and will not move to let others pass regardless of how politely they are asked. 
If you're in a lift and wanting to get out while there are Indians wanting to get in, brace yourself for a tussle because they will not let you get out before they charge in.
They will also walk down busy streets and sois abreast of each other, sometimes 6 at a time regardless of traffic and the constant abuse from drivers who are obviously and mostly Thais going about their everyday business or jobs, so once again disrupting and annoying everyone who comes here except themselves.
They will also walk across busy streets "duck fashion" one behind the other also adding to the congestion.
They to have little money and it's not uncommon to see 6 or 8 of them sitting on bar stools with a single bottle of water or beverage between them and 6 straws.
This is annoying bar owners so much because farangs who do have the money are not going into these bars because all the seats are taken and many bar owners are now banning them from bars altogether.
The number of new Indian restaurants being opened in Pattaya is staggering buy many are not selling food.A friend recently shared his experience in visiting 4 Indian restaurants in close proximity to each other before they found one that actually sold food.
The staff in the others made lame excuses like "Sorry Sir. The chef has failed to arrive today" or, Sorry sir but we are writing a new menu and it's not completed yet"

So, now they are going to the beaches and taking all the free seats there while ogling the Thai girls and farang alike who are also getting really annoyed.
I'm not suggesting for one moment that all Indians who visit Pattaya will act in the above manner and nor am I suggesting that all Chinese will either but the vast majority who visit for a short stay, do as any expat living here will testify..  
Why on earth the government is condoning all this I have no idea and but all the above combined with the new restrictions being introduced and the strength of the Thai baht play a major role in why expats are leaving Pattaya and others are not taking their place and I'm sure the same applies elsewhere.
PS. To any moderator considering this to be a bit too racial, it is not written as such but is simply the truth and should be allowed so others can comment and add their opinions.

Can you email this to me or paste it in my dropbox account?  I can probably read it on Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening.

16 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

If only they could decide to spent their little money elsewhere

everybody should be very happy and grateful to them

I was in niagra falls for a few days, the place was jammed with Indians and Asian tourists, mainly Chinese, affluent, well dressed and spending huge! The businesses there were grateful for their business. 

You would never see this class of tourist in pattaya.

11 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

My brother and his wife are coming to Samui for first 2 weeks in March, they booked through an agent in England. I went to check out the accommodation which they have reserved an found it entirely unsuitable and situated on the road. I tried to change for them to get what they were told to expect, that is near the beach, but i am told that they are fully booked.

You can't be real

seriously, you live in Koh Samui

and you are not able to find and reserve a nice hotel room for your brother's family holiday?

????

Not just Pattaya.  Been around Sukhumvit, Pratunam or even KhaoSan lately? Yes, there’s the odd family or couple ... but the huge majority are groups of four of five men.
Ironically, as far as Pattaya’s concerned Indians will eventually kill the very atmosphere they go there for.

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Haha, but they don't, they look for ways to freeload. 

Atleast they don't beg like western begpackers. 

Seen these western begpcakers  in Thailand/Vietnam/Philippines. Ultra shameful, fly from developed nation and beg in these countries.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:53 PM, akda said:

Atleast they don't beg like western begpackers. 

Seen these western begpcakers  in Thailand/Vietnam/Philippines. Ultra shameful, fly from developed nation and beg in these countries.

They certainly do at home. They also drive around selling peanuts at restaurants. Perhaps you need to refresh yourself to the topic title.  

Some off topic posts have been removed also replies.

If you want to talk about visas and such please do so in the Visa forum this topic is about:

Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

On 11/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, Dimple said:

Catering to Indians to bolster a wrecked tourist sector isn’t really sounding like the ‘last hope’ more like desperation, bordering on panic,

But if you say it loud enough, and long enough, the people will believe.  ????

On 11/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, DannyCarlton said:

If you think Prayut & Co. are the root cause of corruption in Thailand, you are so wrong. They are just the foot soldiers.

Exactly.

Seems there are still expats trying to diagnose all the changes in Thailand that they don't like and prescribing solutions. Does anyone really believe it is all an accident due to ineptitude? All that is going on is a deliberate policy, where it ends I don't profess to know, but doubt that it will be somewhere widely appreciated by the expat community.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

7/11's and Family Marts a more busy than bars and restaurants here.  ????

The number of 7\11 in Pattaya has literally exploded in Pattaya 

i don't have the exact data but i wouldn't be surprised if it was

at least X2 in the last 10 years.

Could explain why a lot of bars and restaurants are now often empty.

The few Family mart shops do not seem to be too busy in comparison.

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

7/11's and Family Marts a more busy than bars and restaurants here.  ????

sure are. they are a revolving door, or should i say beeping?

people seem to be living off the cheap junk food thats sold there with little nutritional value, ok the bananas are healthy.

i even when started going there for a beer. if they put seats outside its all over, mikey.

imagine the dent these places could make with a tapped keg outside for people walking in and out of the store. they would make a killing. it would be leveraging the traffic base they already have without much outlay (except for street space lol).

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

The number of 7\11 in Pattaya has literally exploded in Pattaya 

i don't have the exact data but i wouldn't be surprised if it was

at least X2 in the last 10 years.

Could explain why a lot of bars and restaurants are now often empty.

The few Family mart shops do not seem to be too busy in comparison.

Huh?   '...few Family Mart shops...'   There seems to be plenty of them.  I think there are at least 5 or 6 of them in a relatively short stretch from Centara Grand Mirage Resort down to the end of Naklua Soi 16 by The Palm--including 2 that are literally next door to each other separated only by a narrow road.  They all seem to be doing fine.  

The one closest to my condo was recently torn down and we thought, oh no.  But, it was rebuilt bigger and with a larger parking lot in a short time.  That seems to be a recent trend with both Family Mart and 7-11--some of the new ones are set back from the road with bigger parking areas.  

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Huh?   '...few Family Mart shops...'   There seems to be plenty of them.  I think there are at least 5 or 6 of them in a relatively short stretch from Centara Grand Mirage Resort down to the end of Naklua Soi 16 by The Palm--including 2 that are literally next door to each other separated only by a narrow road.  They all seem to be doing fine.  

The one closest to my condo was recently torn down and we thought, oh no.  But, it was rebuilt bigger and with a larger parking lot in a short time.  That seems to be a recent trend with both Family Mart and 7-11--some of the new ones are set back from the road with bigger parking areas.  

It seems you have missed the end of my sentence '' in comparison''

the number of 7\11 is far superior at the number of Family mart

it's obvious in all the area soi bukkhao\second road\beach road

and all the small streets between.

I am sure the exact numbers are available somewhere but i am

already pretty confident in what i say only with an eyes observation on the ground

As i am not really very busy at the moment, i am going to count them this week end

just out of curiosity to compare both numbers in this area

Archived