Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

12 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Better value in Vietnam, tourists are voting with their feet, the greedy Thais made their own bed. They thought it would never end!????????????????????

Two weeks ago we took a couple of friends visiting from overseas to Da Nang in Vietnam

The hotel where we stayed was almost full of Koreans I asked about five couples had they visited Thailand

There responses were all to the effect of Thailand is a nice place but too expensive, Vietnam is better value

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Last time I took a walk along Beach Road (a few months ago), a woman of questionable repute offered herself to an Indian guy for 700 baht (loud enough for me to overhear).

If that lot really is Pattaya's last hope, all hope is lost.

Are you sure it was a women?  ????

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I love to discover and visit the middle of nowhere ;

I love to cycle long distances on red roads , not knowing where I'll arrive ;

I did so many journeys like that in all the provinces in the north of Thailand ;

As I did other beautiful journeys on my MTBike in Vietnam, always alone , during years  1990 to 1996 ...

To people like you and me ... there is no thought that brings inner peace and a smile like "there is no one on this planet who knows where I am, what I am doing. I am the captain of my own ship."  Like you. I traveled the world alone, before computers, before smart phones ... when all you had was your wits, and a strong body to carry you to the next amazing adventure.  And I also toured the East Coast of the USA alone, with only a bicycle, a tent, and stove that burned gasoline.  Some of the best days of a good life ... for sure.

The authorities continue their adolescent and inane denials. Vietnam is a better deal. The baht is too high. Blah blah blah. Total BS. 

Thailand has literally destroyed the Golden goose of tourism. Hopefully Prayuth and the incompetents in the army will one day be held to account for devastating the lives of millions of Thais. Continuous ranting about the evils of foreigners, combined with inane visa policy, hostility toward tourists by the government and immigration, the refusal to address anything of importance, and the stunning indifference has left Thailand a shell of what it once was. The high spending Indians and Chinese do not come here. Very few. They have a dozen good reasons to avoid Thailand.

The Thai people may tolerate this heinous army, but tourists find them repulsive. As do most ex-pats. This situation is going to get alot worse. The Thai people are in for a world of hurt. I do hope they take out their frustrations on the army and do not buy into their fake narratives and childish deflection. 

Until about 5 years ago my wife owned and managed a massage shop in Pattaya. Now she's a pretty battled-hardened business lady and can handle difficult customers, drunks, local police etc., but the one thing that always struck fear into her heart was a group of Indian guys arriving at the shop. They would want to view the girls, check out the rooms and even test the mattresses. Then haggle for a large discount. They put as much effort into negotiating for a massage as I put into buying a new car. During the massage there would be loud talking and even the occasional phone call. The icing on the cake would be an ocassional ฿20 tip, presented to the girl with great relish...

In the end she stopped accepting Indian customers altogether and just said the girls were booked up.

You can imagine her dismay on arriving in the UK some 4-5 years ago and encountering the large 'minority' population...

How on earth does anyone know SPENDING by nationality?

Its entirely made up and using an odd survey if tourists..

Do the bars and girls give a breakdown of which country the cash came from <deleted>?

Do any of us know how much we soend on holiday? Do we record the info with ToT?? 

Can we believe a survey of indian , chinese, euro tourists at the airport claiming thb10k a day each??? Yeah okkkaaayyy

2 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Until about 5 years ago my wife owned and managed a massage shop in Pattaya. Now she's a pretty battled-hardened business lady and can handle difficult customers, drunks, local police etc., but the one thing that always struck fear into her heart was a group of Indian guys arriving at the shop. They would want to view the girls, check out the rooms and even test the mattresses. Then haggle for a large discount. They put as much effort into negotiating for a massage as I put into buying a new car. During the massage there would be loud talking and even the occasional phone call. The icing on the cake would be an ocassional ฿20 tip, presented to the girl with great relish...

In the end she stopped accepting Indian customers altogether and just said the girls were booked up.

You can imagine her dismay on arriving in the UK some 4-5 years ago and encountering the large 'minority' population...

I have seen this and every word of this is true ... the WORST ... If I see a group in a shop ... I just keep walking ... 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

But sending your mother, daughter, sister, girlfriend, or wife, to a southern Thai province, to work in the sex trade. is perfectly acceptable.  ????

Officialy they all work in restaurant or traditionnal massages

then the ''face'' is saved for the family at the village 

it's the most important (With the money influx)

beside this most of them come here by themselves

nobody ''send'' them in the sex trade market

but as you probably know already the majority are single moms

with a poor education, so they don't see a lot of ways to make some big and quick money 

even if most of them are not really succesfull nowadays

Haha!

Good. Thais have been making it VERY, VERY DIFFICULT for white people to stay medium length amounts of time, and make it a pain in the butt for retirees. Thais decided they can just supplant Europeans, English, aussie, and north Americans with Chinese and Indians. It is how elementary school children would reason.

I can stay in Vietnam for a year for $185usd. And I dont need to tell them where I am or report after 24 hours. And I certainly dont need to report if I go up to Bangkok for a few days. It is absurd. 

And Thais are getting worse and worse every year and nastier and nastier. They really dont like farang anymore. 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Last time I took a walk along Beach Road (a few months ago), a woman of questionable repute offered herself to an Indian guy for 700 baht (loud enough for me to overhear).

If that lot really is Pattaya's last hope, all hope is lost.

700 bahts on beach road is not so cheap, i have few offers at 500 or 600

but it's one of my walking place by night and the indians ask 200\300 max each

(They are usualy 3 or 4 guys, probably sharing the same room)

and they are not all from India, a lot come from Bangladesh and Pakistan, but they look similar.

The ''working girls'' on beach road are very tired from these guys, but unfortunately now they are

almost the only customers on this spotm they don't have a real choice,

Desperate times.

When Indian people started visiting Pattaya in larger numbers I seem to remember the Thais couldn't stand the sight of them, remarks about their personal hygiene was quite the norm. They had it quite easy when the brits were there in droves to overcharge

How can we knock Indian people for being careful and looking after their money rather than throwing money away as we do.

Sadly Pattaya is finished. Come to Cambodia.

I was in Pattaya in June 2018 and visited my friends beer bar what was loaded with about 20 girls around 10.30 PM. Then 3 Indians entered, within 1 minute all 20 girls went on their 'lunch' breaks leaving only one girl behind at the bar for serving the drinks. Those ordered 1 coke with a 2 glasses and straws.

My friend already had a sign:
NO Africans
NO Arabs

ARE ALLOWED on these premises.

I came back this year in February and the sign said:

NO Africans
NO Arabs

NO Indians

ARE ALLOWED on these premises.

27 minutes ago, Jona100 said:

How on earth does anyone know SPENDING by nationality?

Maybe with the money changed in all the exchange desk

the data about the foreign currencies changed end at the bank of Thailand

so they know on a monthly basis (Or by year) how much indians rupees have been

changed against thai baht in the country.

And with the data collected by immigration, they know also how many

people from India are coming each month or year

the rest is just mathematics

First off I like Indian people and especially Indian food. Many Indians I have met work very hard.

AS mentioned in another thread, Pattaya doesn't represent good value for money anymore.

I feel from experience the natives were rude, unfriendly, money grabbers.

So to all the new foreigners from India, China, Russia etc. your welcome to the place.

I will be spending my hard earned money in a country where the people are friendly.

Good luck.  I watched an Indian tourist first butt into a line at KFC to order a rice bowl probably the cheapest item on the menu.  He then refilled his water bottle from one of the complimentary pitchers.  Wonder where he is spending the other 9900 baht lol.

32 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Maybe with the money changed in all the exchange desk

the data about the foreign currencies changed end at the bank of Thailand

so they know on a monthly basis (Or by year) how much indians rupees have been

changed against thai baht in the country.

And with the data collected by immigration, they know also how many

people from India are coming each month or year

the rest is just mathematics

Not even close to accurate.

I've never before visibly witnessed the lack of tourists in Pattaya as being so low as they are now. The ToT media definitely has it all wrong as even the numbers of Chinese & Indian tourists are dropping off ........... the so called "High Season" looks doomed to failure in town. If it wasn't for the big malls Pattaya would be a ghost town & even these excellent facilities are not very busy most days, but do pick up at weekends with mostly Thai's ......... however, the large "foot halls" in Terminal 21 & Central are really popular with everyone & good value. I think the competition for food & drink in town has been lost by local restaurants & bars now ........ I'm sure many tourists avoid eating at their hotels too ...... fact. Everyone is trying to save money now due to the strength of the Baht ................. something must give soon as Thailand is heading for a economic crisis, which appears not too far off in my eyes .......... sad fact.

Well one BIG reason Indian Tourist are so cheap and seemingly with out holliday dollars is because of their INSTANCE to almost only eat Indian food in Pattaya...

If any of you guys have noticed Indian food is damm expensive in Pattaya .....Just a simple bowl of lamb curry some Nan bread a drink and tip and your pushing 300 baht easy.....And the Indians have a spread when they eat....I can only imagine how much all that cost...

Start multiplying the meals and the days and its no wonder they have no money for any thing else....

I very rarely see farangs eating Indian food and I very rarely see Indians eating any thing but Indian food....  

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The authorities continue their adolescent and inane denials. Vietnam is a better deal. The baht is too high. Blah blah blah. Total BS. 

Thailand has literally destroyed the Golden goose of tourism. Hopefully Prayuth and the incompetents in the army will one day be held to account for devastating the lives of millions of Thais. Continuous ranting about the evils of foreigners, combined with inane visa policy, hostility toward tourists by the government and immigration, the refusal to address anything of importance, and the stunning indifference has left Thailand a shell of what it once was. The high spending Indians and Chinese do not come here. Very few. They have a dozen good reasons to avoid Thailand.

The Thai people may tolerate this heinous army, but tourists find them repulsive. As do most ex-pats. This situation is going to get alot worse. The Thai people are in for a world of hurt. I do hope they take out their frustrations on the army and do not buy into their fake narratives and childish deflection. 

Anybody getting the impression that Mike doesn't like the Army?

13 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Well one BIG reason Indian Tourist are so cheap and seemingly with out holliday dollars is because of their INSTANCE to almost only eat Indian food in Pattaya...

If any of you guys have noticed Indian food is damm expensive in Pattaya .....Just a simple bowl of lamb curry some Nan bread a drink and tip and your pushing 300 baht easy.....And the Indians have a spread when they eat....I can only imagine how much all that cost...

Start multiplying the meals and the days and its no wonder they have no money for any thing else....

I very rarely see farangs eating Indian food and I very rarely see Indians eating any thing but Indian food....  

From what i can see in the city

most of the indians restaurants in Pattaya are empty

i really wonder were all these indians guys eat everyday? 

I see a lot of them with cheap 7\11 food, but everyday?

I've seen five Indians share a single coke at a nightclub. There are going to need 20 Indians for every 1 farang police, immigration, and government have driven out of Thailand. 

once upon a time I spent about 1.5 million baht in Thailand per year. Now I spend 1.1 billion dong in Vietnam in the same period. I prefer Thailand but I don't want to be anywhere I am not welcome. 

Archived