Thai Tourism: "Half of foreigners" don't pay their hospital bills; director points finger at three nationalities

webfact

21 hours ago, Seismic said:

Seriously, Adding insurance to your exotic overseas trip is not that expensive. I doubt it will put a dent in tourist numbers, after all scams, ripoffs, unsolved crimes, and the huge numbers of sick buffalo's do not seem to have done much to those numbers.

I agree, and if buying holiday insurance in their own country the Baht rate become irrelevant.

ASEAN workers are eligible for the Thai univetsal covet  if they have work permits. They have to pay an annual fee of about 2000 baht and the all health care is free (or 30 baht) same as for Thais. 

So no I don't think that is the problem.

I do think Vachira's admin and billing practices/capacities needs a critical look. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

How to deal with this issue:

1. Add 100 Baht to each plane ticket.

OR

2. Make it difficult, bureaucratic, nonsensical, stupid and unintelligible in order to make every visitor angry.

Which do you think will be chosen?

Totally agree with you. If they added a medical surcharge to each ticket, I am sure that this would quickly get back the money for the rather large amount of unpaid hospital bills. I think that they would also have enough to treat the tourists for free. End of problem.

I have to wonder how they get away without paying their bills because every time I have gone to hospital, I had to pay at least half up front before they would treat me.

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I agree wholeheartedly that anyone who uses a hospital should pay their bill, I think a major point is being overlooked. Tourism generates billions of dollars for the economy. Tourism is also by all accounts other than TAT in sharp decline. That number may well reduce further if every tourist has to pay out for an insurance policy, which may or may not cover problems they encounter. Maybe they should weigh the 448 million baht against the potential tens of billions they might lose.

Thais who travel to continental Europe (Schengen visa) need to show insurance. It is compulsory all over Schengen even for "socalled free movement" for EU citizens. Why should Thailand pay for medical treatment of e.g. French or German tourists?

Maybe it isn't possible but I would have thought Thailand, and any other country for that matter, states that entry into that country, particularly as a tourist, is dependent on valid travel and accident insurance. If they don't have it on arrival, they have to pay the going rate - too expensive - too bad!

Edited by ChrisKC
added comment

1 minute ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Its only OA Visa holders that are being required to get compulsory Health Insurance from the Cartel of companies Listed!!

Yeah, And ?

The article is illustrating the bills are being racked up by all foreigners and ends the article with " but the time may well be coming when all tourists will have to have travel insurance when visiting the kingdom. ".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisKC said:

Maybe it isn't possible but I would have thought Thailand, and any other country for that matter, states that entry into that country is dependent on valid travel and accident insurance. If they don't have it on arrival, they have to pay the Thai rate - too expensive - too bad!

and that stops people skipping out on their bill how ?

Edited by Don Mega

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

A Chinese could easily 'sneak out without paying', as staff might mistake him for a Thai citizen (with Thai ID, permanent address, job, etc.). But for a French or Russian tourist it would, IMHO, be much more difficult.

I can spot a Chinese person at 300 meters easily

I find it difficult to believe that hospitals will let you leave without paying. If a process was put in place whereby patients had to have their CC swiped on entering the facility it wouldn’t be a problem. Any claims against insurance policies could be sorted out post treatment.

Certainly at the private hospitals where we live a nurse will walk you around to the cashier to pay after the treatment/consultation is complete.

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I agree wholeheartedly that anyone who uses a hospital should pay their bill, I think a major point is being overlooked. Tourism generates billions of dollars for the economy. Tourism is also by all accounts other than TAT in sharp decline. That number may well reduce further if every tourist has to pay out for an insurance policy, which may or may not cover problems they encounter. Maybe they should weigh the 448 million baht against the potential tens of billions they might lose.

You tink too much. And what about the double pricing applied to foreigners? Oh. Forget that. Again, you tink too much.????

to all readers....im married to my thai wife for 20 years now. my wife entered germany 1999 and was covered through my public german family health insurance the first she set foot on german soil.

now im retired and we are living in thailand but no public family health care , why ?? only available for public servants.

wbr

roobaa01

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

to all readers....im married to my thai wife for 20 years now. my wife entered germany 1999 and was covered through my public german family health insurance the first she set foot on german soil.

now im retired and we are living in thailand but no public family health care , why ?? only available for public servants.

wbr

roobaa01

And ?

Thailand public health system is available to foreigners if they qualify.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Are you serious? What would they do, call the SWAT Team?

They (some embassies) can't even produce a piece of paper that confirmes your yearly income. Pathetic personell (IMO), they're here on a paid vacation.

hahaha, butthurt much !!

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Chalermpong said that the leading reasons tourists sought treatment at Vachira were after injuries during water sports, motorcycle accidents and attack by animals. 

presumedly feral dogs that the powers that be are grossly negligent in controlling and checking. all bite require rabies shots in addition to wound care

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And ?

Thailand public health system is available to foreigners if they qualify.

my viewpoint why is thailand not opening its health system to foreigners, who are legally married

to a thai supporting the family. of course the foreigner would need to pay contributions for example in germany being on pension about monthly euros 150=thb4500 on every euro 1000 pension. i think that would be fair.

wbr

roobaa01

Edited by roobaa01

41 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

and that stops people skipping out on their bill how ?

They won't be "skipping out" or getting a full bill if they are properly insured will they? And without valid insurance they will be denied entry.

21 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

That's an average of 50,000 baht for each foreigner. Land of Lies?

I had a chat with a Thai doctor from Sapphasit/Ubon R, but he said something totally different.

The majority were from neighboring countries like Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. 

A minor correction to the figures: It is 50% of hospital patients who leave without paying so out of the 9,000 mentioned the average bill would be just under 100,000 Baht. Note to myself not to ever use this very expensive hospital. 

22 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

How to deal with this issue:

1. Add 100 Baht to each plane ticket.

OR

2. Make it difficult, bureaucratic, nonsensical, stupid and unintelligible in order to make every visitor angry.

Which do you think will be chosen?

Just make sure those butterheads have insurance, no more

arguing. Everyone should have a decent international insurance when visiting other countries, even Im covered by EC membership In EC countries, I have additional insurance. God sake what is the problem with people? Just common sence!

• Like 1