More foreign English teachers set to be hired as Thais aim for better than basic English

webfact

14 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Another problem is that they aren’t allowed to teach English, lessons are forever interrupted by events and activities, special day or weeks lot to meaningless tests.

You're suggesting they shouldn't spend more time learning how to carve fruit? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

could be hired next year ; could is not a guarantee its a maybe or passive action. WILL is a positive action.

Will they be REAL teachers, who have a degree in education with specialty subjects of English Communication, or tourists who can speak more English than a Thai government official?

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

who either speak English badly or with incomprehensible accents.

It's not just them;
I remember meeting a London Englishman who pronounced sunday or monday like that: sundaille, mondaille, ...

It will therefore be necessary to find teachers of English native English with the pronunciation of Oxford and nothing else;
Australians, New Zealanders or English-speaking Canadians who are native English are excluded?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, champers said:

BP reporting that the Phillipines Embassy has been consulted with a view to bringing in more Filipino English speakers as teachers.

The problem with Fillipino teachers is their grammer is terrible. 

I know many many Fillipino 'teachers' in Bangkok...all good friends of mine....but they have no qualifications to teach.

If the Thais really want to have children learn and speak English they must check that the said teacher has the correct(not fake) certificates of education.

• Like 1

It would be difficult for the Thais to improve their English if they don't have the culture or the opportunity of using multiple languages in their daily lives unlike the Malaysians or the SIngaporeans. Here's a trilngual song in English, Chinese and Malay with a conversation in Tamil, an Indian language:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strawpanda said:

I'm a British native speaker of English with an MA in TEFL. I do a lot of academic proofreading for non-native speakers/teachers of English doing MAs, PhDs etc. Some of them are very good, some less so, but there's definitely an important role for native speakers, though they're not going to work for peanuts.

I would definitely work for walnuts. 

• Thanks 1

Easiest way is to have Immigration, interview who they think would be Outstanding Applicants as Retiree's renew their Class O Visa's for 2020 year. If they Qualify give them free renewable Visa's as long as they Teach, an Income and Family Medical/Dental. Would not have responsibility to get Applicants here from their home Country, would already be Knowledgeable Thai Culture and Laws plus be settled here!

Education System wants Help … Then They need to get off their A**es and look what's here now! Real English... No accents to confuse students. Offer Basics in Return you will have your Answers!!! fulfilled!!!

• Like 2

I'm on marriage rather than retirement extension so I am able to get a work permit and I get on well with village kids. I'm sure they'd love to have me spend a few hours in school with them.

Part of my task in Saudi Arabia was, what they termed, 'English Enrichment' so I have experience to offer. Just give the school the budget and me the chance.

One of the main problems over the years has been the fact that too many places hire unqualified staff.  Just because someone is a native speaker does not make him (or her) a teacher.  I have also often heard so called "English teachers" in places like coffee shops and some department stores...Oh my goodness, it is actually criminal what some are getting away with.  There are more than a few bad apples in this barrel.

41 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Native speakers are from Australia the UK and the USA and Canada People from the Philippines are not native speaking To then English is their second language If you want improved  English then hire people from a native speaking country as listed above otherwise you are only going to learn "Pass the sugar"

Oh! How sweet.????