Are they really to make it easier for farrangs

Parsve

16 hours ago, Parsve said:

Maybe it is as you say, but it have never happen to me before, and neve in any of the about 60 other countries I have visited.

It is normal in China. Everyone has to show ID to travel by bus or rail. It's no big deal but, both yes and no to being more big brother!!!

Also when the bus crashes and burns you to a crisp, your corpse will be easier to verify. ????

Edited by Expat Brad
Typo
  • Like 1

Interesting. Not once have I been asked to show ID when buying a bus ticket at stations all over the country (I always buy them in person). Once a ticket seller in Khorat asked for my name, I said "David." Ticket printed with name "Dayvict." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

Agreed. Simples !!

Of all the hotels I have used on my recent road trips, only one has asked for my passport, and the lady at the desk had no idea how to read it, she went back a couple of pages and then pointed to a stamp which said 2017, she could not understand any of the rest of it.

I carry a copy of my passport always.  Most times the copy is accepted.  You can be asked for your passport at any time so many of us long-term residents always have a copy available.  There has been a ton of discussions on TV about always carrying your passport or a copy.  My passport resides in my safe until the original is specifically required.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RedPill said:

mmhhh ... I just recently went several times to BKK with the bus (from Pattaya) to get some papers organized.

Not one time did I have to show a passport/id to buy a bus ticket?

Is that a new thing?

I don't believe it's a new thing. But maybe a seat reservation is something else. Online booking is a piece of cake,though.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Of all the hotels I have used on my recent road trips, only one has asked for my passport, and the lady at the desk had no idea how to read it, she went back a couple of pages and then pointed to a stamp which said 2017, she could not understand any of the rest of it.

Next time try a proper hotel, and the chance for showing your passport will increase by a few 100%. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

How are you supposed to know what paperwork to give when a lot of the IOs have different rules?

Well you get off your <deleted> bum and go to local immigration office  in your  area and ask them.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I've travelled from Pattaya to Loei on Nakonchai buses many times. Never been asked for ID, just the fare.

As much as I dislike intrusive government questions, this does make sense in these trying times......sadly

OP, out of interest - what bus company was it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

That's how it started in China. Now they know your exact location, can look into your cellphone, can punish you for jaywalking by denying you entry to transport, etc. etc.

Sure, just give what they want, do what they ask. Never mind individual freedom, it's overrated anyway.

Get some help I think if you think that of being in Thailand, are you a prisoner of Thailand can you not just leave.

Or maybe your just a  person whose paranoid of wherever you live.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bullie said:

That's how it started in China. Now they know your exact location, can look into your cellphone, can punish you for jaywalking by denying you entry to transport, etc. etc.

Sure, just give what they want, do what they ask. Never mind individual freedom, it's overrated anyway.

Are you sure about all that?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Get some help I think if you think that of being in Thailand, are you a prisoner of Thailand can you not just leave.

Or maybe your just a  person whose paranoid of wherever you live.

At what point does the ability to leave become denied ?

Check your History, Cambodia, Vietnam, Germany, Russia, currently China.

Now memorize these words "PAPERS PLEASE"

42 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

copy.jpg.dfb95dc5b3dd99167d57294d5460169a.jpg

I wouldn't be bit surprised if something else was wanted at our yearly extension process.

Every other year or so over fifteen years of getting yearly extensions in Maesot and now Sukhothai, officers have been told by their head IO office in these cases CM to ask for something else in addition to the list of papers required.

Hence the " Others as requested by the officer " so carrying on blaming your local IO office if you must, there having to do what there told too.

That's the reason my Mrs rings them up before we go to ask " is there any additions to what we presented last year ", usually works. ????

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't get your point I can go in and out any country if I want.

San Pedro Sula in Honduras is nice place to go, 

No you can't lol.

If you are American you are not allowed to travel to NK.

If you are Chinese and your social security score is low you are not allowed to buy plane tickets and get a passport.

If Vietnam thinks you owe taxes you are on the exit blacklist and not allowed to leave.

If you are a young filipino women they have the right to block you from traveling outside of PH.

.... The list goes on forever.

You are narrow minded and naive, not everyone is free to travel. Things can change rapidly fast here into being as worse as china: https://thediplomat.com/2019/11/the-coming-political-restrictions-on-chinese-outbound-travel/

Come down from your high horse, everyone worried here is worried for good reasons, the ones who aren't are the naive dumbasses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Come down from your high horse, everyone worried here is worried for good reasons, the ones who aren't are the naive dumbasses

OK thanks I guess your American and lacking in common sense and education, many of my American friends don't think like you or would not agree with you.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Edited by Kwasaki