New insights into IBS

snoop1130

New insights into IBS

by Monique Jhingon

thomasville-nc-thomasville-ob-gyn-endometriosis.jpg

Digestion is a process that should happen automatically and quietly, like a soft humming in the background. Something we should not have to pay much attention to.

This can sound like an alien concept to those that suffer from chronic digestive issues. When you are dealing with abdominal pain, chronic heartburn, bloating, gas, chronic diarrhoea or constipation or reactions to food, it’s more like loud noise; a persistent discomfort that affects your ability to fully be present and feel at ease. In the worst case you may literally be planning your life around your digestion. IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is one of the common causes of chronic digestive distress. An estimated 7 to 21% of the population suffers from this functional gut disorder that is characterised by many of the symptoms described above, the main ones being chronic diarrhoea or constipation or bowel movements alternating between the two as well as abdominal pain or discomfort (1).

To date, an IBS diagnosis is arrived at through a tedious and time-consuming process of exclusion of other gastrointestinal diseases, which is not only a frustrating process but costly as well. A colonoscopy is usually part of the investigative process and while it’s a relief when colonoscopy results come back clear, you end up walking away without a solution to your problem and possibly the suggestion that it may all be in your head. Some important new areas of research in IBS are starting to throw some light on this common condition and more importantly they are presenting us with exciting new diagnostic tools and treatment strategies (2).

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/health-and-beauty/new-insights-into-ibs/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand

We've been researching how oxalates damage the health for more than 10 years and highly recommend this article: https://www.kevinstock.io/health/health-dangers-of-oxalates/

Interesting too that one of the comments lower down the page talks about IBS symptoms disappearing after eliminating all high and moderate oxalate foods.

Here's the comment:

Lynnesays:
January 7, 2019 at 12:47 pm
I have always been susceptible to kidney stones. In addition, the last 2 years I have suffered horribly with IBS including fecal incontinence. I had a long flight scheduled and fasted in preparation to avoid any accidents. You guessed it – became very dehydrated and developed kidney stones. Seeking relief from the pain/hoping to prevent future stones, I researched and stumbled across the Harvard oxalate content in foods spreadsheet and eliminated all high and even moderate oxalate foods. Surprisingly, in LESS THAN A WEEK my IBS symptoms disappeared. (took a while to pass the kidney stones but no pain or symptoms there after about 2 weeks). Vulva pain, which I was told was “normal for your age” has also disappeared, a salivary gland that was always swollen shrunk to normal (turns out oxalates can cause salivary stones as well) and I was able to discontinue my ADD medicine. Losing weight as well! I “slipped” over Thanksgiving and became very ill very fast. Wheat is the worst for me as are potatoes. Whenever I am tempted to “cheat” I think of the pain of passing those stones. If that doesn’t work I remember two words: “fecal incontinence.” Thank you so much for your blog and advice! I feel so bad for all the folks needlessly suffering from kidney stones, IBS and other issues when simple dietary changes could change their life! (Link to spreadsheet listing oxalate content in dozens of foods)

I am a neuro-scientist who has made a long term study of IBS. A hypothesis that explains how all the symptoms are caused has been developed, and also diet and lifestyle therapies that remove the symptoms.

You can access my research at www.ibsexplained.com 

Now retired, living in Thailand, I will be speaking at a Medical Conference in Chaiyaphum next July. Topic is 'Brain-Gut Interaction'. Abstract & Bio attached...

Abstract_Bio_2020_Dobson.docx

I developed IBS-D after Salmonella poisoning here in Thailand. I had chronic diarrhea every single day for over a year. It was horrible. 10-15% of Salmonella poisonings result in IBS-D. 

I followed the FODMAP diet and it took 18 months but now I am back to normal.

Thank you everyone for your information.  

Archived