Ext Marriage - Income

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

I understand your point, but my income is clearly shown as an International transfer receipt, so it is clearly not from illegal stay/work. 

The fact money is deposited outside country would not make work here legal without a work permit however so without pension or some such paperwork it could be suspect.  We are living in a big brother world and it is likely to get even more so in the case of money tracking.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Go to an agent, if you can find the right one, it will save you a lot of hassle, and is not, as some think, illegal.

I think this is the best option, as it will give you a year to sort everything out. You don't have to use a Phuket agent, can shop around.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:45 AM, youngster30uk said:

...Being British and no Embassy letters anymore, I took my Thai Bank statements for the last 12 months, showing monthly income well in excess of 45,000 transferred from overseas

. I thought this would be sufficient...

If I understand you correctly, you showed your bank evidence of inward foreign remittances to your Thai bank account, ie money coming into your account, but no evidence of earnings, ie income, and you had not bank letter.

Incoming money is not the same as income and without evidence of income and with you living in Thailand all year round, it is not unreasonable for the immigration official to wonder whether you are perhaps working illegally in Thailand. Any document you can produce to dispel this suspicion should help your application.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

I understand your point, but my income is clearly shown as an International transfer receipt, so it is clearly not from illegal stay/work. 

Incoming money ≠ income

8 hours ago, seajae said:

can you get a tax certificate to show you paying tax on the money or even  payment advice slips, I used to use my tax certificate before doing the money in the bank method to confirm my earnings

I have often wondered similarly ?

Would (issued in Australia for example) an “Income Tax Assessment Notice” issued by the Aust. Tax Office be accepted as proof of Income ?

Interesting to hear thoughts.

John

Edited by JG27

30 minutes ago, JG27 said:

I have often wondered similarly ?

Would (issued in Australia for example) an “Income Tax Assessment Notice” issued by the Aust. Tax Office be accepted as proof of Income ?

Interesting to hear thoughts.

John

Proof of income is Embassy letter if available or 12 months of deposits into Thai bank with letter from bank for nationalities not able to obtain Embassy letters.  Other documents may or may not be accepted as supporting proof if asked (normally any reasonable paperwork is accepted).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seajae said:

can you get a tax certificate to show you paying tax on the money or even  payment advice slips, I used to use my tax certificate before doing the money in the bank method to confirm my earnings

Perhaps Thai tax paid on the the funds transferred into the country would work since that is allowed for extensions based upon marriage.

I considered that after the embassies stopped issuing proof of income. But was relieved when the police order was issued allowing proof by doing the transfers.

1 hour ago, JG27 said:

That could probably be used for proof of the source of your income but not for proof of your income. Income has to be transfers into a Thai bank.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Proof of income is Embassy letter if available or 12 months of deposits into Thai bank with letter from bank for nationalities not able to obtain Embassy letters.  Other documents may or may not be accepted as supporting proof if asked (normally any reasonable paperwork is accepted).  

Not in Phuket. I had the bank statements and  bank letter, it is not accepted

22 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Not in Phuket. I had the bank statements and  bank letter, it is not accepted

As I have written before you will need to some proof of the source of your income to satisfy them.

They may want that as proof you are not transferring the funds from here and then sending it back to here to use as proof. Not saying you are doing that just some advice.

When I did my extension in August here they asked proof of the source of my income. I had originals and copies with me incase it was needed.

On 12/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

I would guess that is at Phuket immigration. The have decided on their own not to accept monthly transfers for an extension based upon marriage. If you have proof of the source of the income such as pension statement it might be accepted.

I did mine using transfers into my bank in August at the office here in Ubon.

My friend here in Nakhon Sawan wanted to change from retirement to marriage extension but was told by the head IO that monthly transfers would not be acceptable for marriage extensions in the future so don't bother. I thought they just couldn't be bothered with the extra work involved with the change of extension but maybe she was telling the truth. This was a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

My friend here in Nakhon Sawan wanted to change from retirement to marriage extension but was told by the head IO that monthly transfers would not be acceptable for marriage extensions in the future so don't bother. I thought they just couldn't be bothered with the extra work involved with the change of extension but maybe she was telling the truth. This was a few weeks ago.

Not correct. Just nonsense from an ill informed officer.

Why would they single out extensions based upon marriage and not retirement as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

They have been saying that most of this year already.

Not the same as saying it will not be done next year.

Hi Joe

To me this seems pretty clear, it says that my Thai Bank book and bank statements are acceptable after all.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-re-confirms-embassy-income-verification-letters-not-required-after-american-expat-given-30-days-to-leave-thailand-74367.php

I dont know why, but on other threads there are people arguing about this now. I want to ask your take on this before I rush back to immigration and wait several hours to be seen before they say no again.

thanks

10 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I dont know why, but on other threads there are people arguing about this now. I want to ask your take on this before I rush back to immigration and wait several hours to be seen before they say no again.

I saw that article in the news late yesterday.

I am not sure if it is true or false info.

The volunteer website still only mentions proof of income from an embassy. http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

Letter from Embassy/Consul Certifying over THB 40000 month. (Max 6 months old),
Supporting documents of the income may be requested by the immigration officer.
Copy bank book name page and last 2 months transactions.

After that it only mentions the 400k baht in the bank option and then proof of income from working here legally.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I saw that article in the news late yesterday.

I am not sure if it is true or false info.

The volunteer website still only mentions proof of income from an embassy. http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

After that it only mentions the 400k baht in the bank option and then proof of income from working here legally.

I am going by this part

“Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application].

“This is fine to prove your income,” Lt Col Udom said.

Regarding the “second checklist” handed to the American man at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town, Lt Col Udom admitted, “This document is an English version [of the full list in Thai] that is handed out to foreigners, but it is just a brief version.

“This document is used only by volunteers here to explain to foreigners what is required. It is not an official document. It is just only a brief translation,” he repeated.

“This [English version] can easily lead to misunderstandings. We will find better translation soon,” Lt Col Udom assured.

5 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I am going by this part

All I know is that the immigration officers at Phuket immigration have been saying only a proof of income from a embassy or the 400k baht in the bank option is allowed.

Perhaps the Lt Col is not aware of what his people are saying.

Seems he is saying that he now does know, but he doesn't know why and he has told them

“I don’t know what happened. I am not sure who is concerned with this case, but please come to the second floor of the Phuket Immigration Office to discuss this directly with the correct immigration officers,” Lt Col Udom said.

Lt Col Udom assured that officers at Phuket Immigration have been reminded that the income verification letters are no longer needed for some nationalities.

“I told them today to be careful about the details of this part,” he said.

Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application].

I think I will go a bit later, and ask the volunteer on the door, what he knows, it is his group that were responsible for the English translation document

On 12/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, youngster30uk said:

Anyone offer any advice, or are there any options?

Fly to Saigon, buy yourself a 1 year multi entry non-o for $200 from the Thai consulate.

No financials, signed copy of her ID card, house book, wedding cert, your passport, a completed application, 2 photos and a hand written letter from wife in Thai asking them to give you a VISA.

Dead easy, no queues, no hoops.

Downside is you need to cross the border every 90 days.

Upside, you never need to do a TM30, and you can stretch the stay to 15 months with a final entry a day or two before the VISA ends.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Downside is you need to cross the border every 90 days.

For many people that is very big downside. Not everybody wants to have to leave the country every 90 days.

Why do it if you can meet the requirements for an extension of stay.

I have just been to Phuket immigration just now. No one was aware of this news. The Volunteer was very helpful, he got the immigration 'Supervisor' for me, who took the print out of this news, spoke to a few people there, made a few phone calls, and came back and told me that I can make an application based on income without the embassy letter. I did not make the application yet, just confirmed this news, will make my application on friday

• Like 1