Which Colour Wires to connect ???

dinga

1 minute ago, johng said:

Yep I've never seen a shuko socket in Thailand  so why on earth are they selling equipment with Shuko plugs on them which has an earth  that would not be connected to "earth" using the "normal" Thai socket so totally useless and potentially very dangerous !    T.I.T

I'm guessing it's some sort of EU or WTO or anything else requirement to provide / sell safety compliant appliances, the fact that it's not a safety requirement here (as far as I know) just makes a mockery of the whole thing ???? 

No doubt someone in the know will put us right in a while ????

14 minutes ago, johng said:
53 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

@Crossy Afternoon all, the Mrs finally got back, we moved the fridge and the photos are attached.

Hopefully there is enough info for you.

IMG_20191219_123858.thumb.jpg.f57152cfe169d6c30258455178988b46.jpg

IMG_20191219_124007.jpg

Yep I've never seen a shuko socket in Thailand  so why on earth are they selling equipment with Shuko plugs on them which has an earth  that would not be connected to "earth" using the "normal" Thai socket so totally useless and potentially very dangerous !    T.I.T

Agree. The only  Shuko sockets I  have ever seen here are nice  blue  exterior ones such as for connecting a  caravan or  camper van. Weather proof . Finding a matching plug is  like finding hens teeth but they do accomodate the standard appliance Shuko plug. In Indonesia Shuko style is standard and has been for decades. Although the ground is not guaranteed to  be connected.

31 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm guessing it's some sort of EU or WTO or anything else requirement to provide / sell safety compliant appliances, the fact that it's not a safety requirement here (as far as I know) just makes a mockery of the whole thing ???? 

No doubt someone in the know will put us right in a while ????

It's more likely that there was no safety requirement in place for equipment sold in Thailand.

The Schuko plug was supposed to be outlawed when the new Thai standard TIS166-2549 (2006) plug was introduced in 2008. Of course the manufacturers made noise and the ban was cancelled (or deferred indefinitely).

TIS166-2549.jpg

41 minutes ago, johng said:

I asked the Tefal Company why my product purchased in Thailand was fitted with a Shuko plug. A check on the serial number revealed unauthorized distribution which would make any local warranty claim  difficult. My product left the Chinese factory in a batch destined for Europe. 

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's more likely that there was no safety requirement in place for equipment sold in Thailand.

The Schuko plug was supposed to be outlawed when the new Thai standard TIS166-2549 (2006) plug was introduced in 2008. Of course the manufacturers made noise and the ban was cancelled (or deferred indefinitely).

TIS166-2549.jpg

So what do you make of my distribution board Crossy ?

33 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So what do you make of my distribution board Crossy ?

OK.

I see a solitary and rather thin green wire on the earth bar at the top. This suggests that none of your outlets are actually grounded, if the outlets really have 3 wires attached it's time to find out where they go.

I do NOT see any form of earth leakage protection device, these are important to your safety if you have electric water heaters or outdoor lighting/outlets.

I see 6 wires on the neutral bar and 8 outgoing live wires suggesting there are borrowed neutrals somewhere.

AND I see a very worrying white wire that seems to be connecting to the first and last breakers. I have no idea whatever why it's there.

Do you rent or own this place? (to determine the way forwards).

EDIT There are a couple of points where it's not entirely clear where wires actually go if you could confirm the counts and directions that would be handy.

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

wiring-a-plug.jpg

main-qimg-efea07d110087cd2558e45f219f97a

Canada

north-american-mains-plug-and-wiring-she

c02f01a80c5d8b43ba4aaa7bbe1d71b1.jpg

@VocalNeal.   Lovely and substantial looking plug, although I can't see that I've seen many like that around, otherwise I would buy them.

As for the wire colours, you forgot some that are quite regularly found here: – white for neutral and black for live (just to confuse matters). And I have to say that when I have opened up the occasional appliance, or indeed a "power board/power strip", there are even more colours and certainly not connected where they should be.

The standards here are appalling.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

OK.

I see a solitary and rather thin green wire on the earth bar at the top. This suggests that none of your outlets are actually grounded, if the outlets really have 3 wires attached it's time to find out where they go.

I do NOT see any form of earth leakage protection device, these are important to your safety if you have electric water heaters or outdoor lighting/outlets.

I see 6 wires on the neutral bar and 8 outgoing live wires suggesting there are borrowed neutrals somewhere.

AND I see a very worrying white wire that seems to be connecting to the first and last breakers. I have no idea whatever why it's there.

Do you rent or own this place? (to determine the way forwards).

EDIT There are a couple of points where it's not entirely clear where wires actually go if you could confirm the counts and directions that would be hand

Thanks for your feedback sir, sounds a bit worrying to me especially as I know diddly squat about electricity, I only rent the place but I have brought this up with the landlord before when he visits from Europe, maybe I should get a proper electrician to have a look and advise me. 

In your opinion is it dangerous ?

We have lived in the place for 5 years +, the hot water comes from an external 80 litre immersion, that feeds all taps and both showers through plastic pipes so should be okay.  Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

6 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

In your opinion is it dangerous ?

With a storage water heater and plastic pipes I would say "no, but needs improvement".

Do you have 3-pin outlets? If so, pop one off the wall (care) and see how many wires are on the back.

The lack of (or minimal) grounding needs addressing and adding some earth leakage protection would be extremely wise.

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

Shuko outlet:-

Steckdose.jpg

You can actually get adaptors (ok could I've not seen them for a while) and outlets that fit Thai back-boxes, but in reality the best fix is to cut off the plug and fix a local 3-pin.

If you post a photo of the board with the lid off we can hazard a guess if you have a rod, often they are buried under concrete. Do your 3-pin outlets actually have 3 wires connected?

Lazada has these adapters: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ZAVMj. I bought one of them for use with new appliances until I get around to changing the plug.

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With a storage water heater and plastic pipes I would say "no, but needs improvement".

Do you have 3-pin outlets? If so, pop one off the wall (care) and see how many wires are on the back.

The lack of (or minimal) grounding needs addressing and adding some earth leakage protection would be extremely wise.

Thanks, I need to get someone to have a look and advise me accordingly, I don't even know how to remove a facia and look at what's behind it, many thanks for your input. 

31 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks, I need to get someone to have a look and advise me accordingly, I don't even know how to remove a facia and look at what's behind it, many thanks for your input. 

The facia plates just clip on to the back plane, that holds the actual sockets, so you can safely and reasonably easily leaver them off with a screwdriver or blunt knife.

Cover plate clipped to backplane 

A2506C86-65DD-4973-B0BE-6EB37CA745C4.jpeg.1b7899d95c962d48a568ce6afc787bf7.jpeg

backplane with a couple of sockets 

DD562D7C-7183-4527-B09A-127748A2AC44.jpeg.f0692dba0ef075bc58d3a819b8d024e4.jpeg

backplane and cover plate

FB2C0889-7048-47C5-BDA6-95D09475DCB4.jpeg.35b8077e038003dafe3d87c1482c1ee5.jpeg

4 hours ago, johng said:

They are easy enough to find and install if you want, I did.

7D5CC582-8BF2-473E-951C-440F5F0D5FFF.jpeg.5bcbd44391e1d05c76e500428ccc4728.jpegC1E0DA8E-84FF-40FE-B4B0-1DA81D14736F.jpeg.98b1852fda36891d6bbe2a1c37c87909.jpeg

You can also make extensions cables with your choice of plug, I happen to have Shuko sockets on one wall so use Shuko plugs.

B24248E9-5F12-46C7-81DD-CA45ED998EBB.jpeg.eb652685d2b2b0da2dc248c0f33668e2.jpeg

Thanks for all the comments and advice, but I retire defeated (used the connectors and a 3-prong plug). 

Turned on the power......nothing. 

Bl**dy Otto has been consigned to the rubbish bin, and I'll go shopping for a better kettle (with a reasonable length of electrical lead) tomorrow.  

Archived