Propane Tank Connectors

zapatero

I have a U.S.-standard-design refillable 5 gal. propane tank, for BBQ/cookstove use, that I would like to include with my household shipping effects. (Empty, of course.) Does anyone know whether the regulation-standard U.S. reverse-thread connectors on this tank would be compatible with LOS propane filling stations? Or, if needed, are adaptors available? Or, should I just not bother to bring it at all? (The main reason that I would like to keep it is that it has the latest safety features included in its design.)

Thank you very much for any thoughts,

~~~zapatero

I have used five gallon propane tanks in the US and there are at least two different left hand thread patterns used and they are both considered to be standard. The Thai tanks SEEM to have the same thread system as one of these although I've never tried an american regulator on a Thai tank(or visa versa). I have noticed that at Eagle Hardware (oops....I think they have changed names...are they now Lowe's Hardware or Long's Hardware?...in the US) had a good selection of propane tank accessories and adaptors and I think for cheap you could buy an adaptor to fit to the thread pattern that you don't have...then you should be covered for either of them.

Two things, though. Even "empty" propane tanks contain some gas and so they are often not allowed to be transported as they still pose a risk...maybe if sent surface...probably not air....and here in Thailand you usually swap tanks and not refill your own....but it might be possible to do this and if not then you could probably buy a larger tank and use it to fill the smaller one if you know how to do it....its not too difficult but inolves turning the large tank upside down and connecting it to the small tank with a straight pipe....then opening the vent on the small tank and then the valve on the small tank and then the valve on the large tank....when liquid propane squirts out the vent of the small tank you first close the valve on the large tank..and then the valve on the small tank...and then the vent.

Anyway I'm reasonably sure that really soon someone will come on and be astonished that I would recommend such a dangerous process be done at home by an amateur...but oh well....maybe some people shouldn't try doing this.....oh....by the way....did I say that you shouldn't smoke while doing this?...and it should be in a well ventilated place like the great out of doors?...if you didn't think of these things without my prompting then perhaps you shouldn't be refilling propane tanks....maybe basket weaving would be safer but watch out for those nasty cuts those fibres can impart!!

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Now I am not 100% sure about this but do have it on good authority that the "propane" we use in tanks back home for BBQs etc (in Australia, USA, etc) is not what they fill the tanks with here... apparently it is "butane" which burns hotter than propane does. So this also means that whatever you are planning to run off it will behave differently than it did back home.

I would also say don't bother bringing your gas tank as they are cheap as chips here and all your "safety features" (which I'm sure are lovely), you will soon realise are not part of the Thai mentality and there are plenty of other much riskier things you will expose yourself to in this country than worrying about obscure gas-bottle features. :o

Thank you for your thorough reply, Chownah. I followed your advice and went down to the local Lowe's, and indeed they do have a large selection of adaptors. The astounding revelation then occured to me, (I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes), that I don't know what I would be adapting *to* on the Thai end of things. But anyway, I bought a couple of generic fittings, and will see where that takes me.

Rather than filling it myself, in the past I have taken it to a local filling station and that has worked quite well. There are swappable refills here, but in general they look so bad that I have chosen to keep my own. Hopefully, the same approach might be available in Thailand. (Oh, and I did notice that the refill guy extinguished his cigarette before proceeding. Ordinarily, I guess that you only get to try the alternative once, before the gene pool gets decremented. The word must get around. <g>)

Petecooper, I'm no expert on this by any means, but I am wondering if you might be thinking of LNG as opposed to LPG (propane)? It has been my understanding that two different bottled gas fuels are used, by vehicles anyway, in Thailand; however propane is supposedly the most predominant(?)

Anyway, you may well be right, that I should just not bring the tank. But it is small compared with everything else, it will be empty, and will be transported by sea -- and I can just throw it away later if it doesn't work. But I'll still think about it some more...

Thank you very much for your thoughts, guys,

~~~zapatero

I don't know what I would be adapting *to* on the Thai end of things.

My idea was that since here in Thailand they use a left hand thread which seems to be exactly identical (from my observations only...not having ever measured them or actually verified this) to one of the two standard US fittings...and...since I don't know which one you have already...then...if you bought an adaptor so that your tank could accept either US standard and you would be able to accept the one they have in Thailand.

In a nutshell....your tank can accept one of the US standards and if you buy an adaptor then it will be able to accept both US standards and my opinion is that in Thailand they use one of the US standards so you should be set either way if you get the adaptor.

Communication can be so difficult for even the simplest things sometimes (at least for me!).

Petecooper, I'm no expert on this by any means, but I am wondering if you might be thinking of LNG as opposed to LPG (propane)? It has been my understanding that two different bottled gas fuels are used, by vehicles anyway, in Thailand; however propane is supposedly the most predominant(?)

Anyway, you may well be right, that I should just not bring the tank. But it is small compared with everything else, it will be empty, and will be transported by sea -- and I can just throw it away later if it doesn't work. But I'll still think about it some more...

I think you may find it simply cheaper to buy a tank locally. The thread issue is a biggie. Perhaps get in touch with Picnic Gas or similar to see what they use. There is also a BBQ place in Sukhumvit somewhere near Tenderloins Suk 33 I am told that would certainly know what gas and what fittings are used here.

As an aside, AFAIK In NZ both propane and LPG are available, propane being 100% propane, and LPG being a combination of butane and propane. There is some difference in the way the flame is tuned for each. But they are somewhat compatible. The majority of taxis in Thailand are running on LPG incidentally.

CNG and LNG are different again, being a combination of methane and some other heavier hydrocarbons, and this is what is used in NGVs and some cars; the difference of compressed and liquid being the amount of compression. You cannot mix run equipment on LPG and CNG; there are quite a large difference in between them, so they are not compatible. The tanks for CNG are running at much higher pressure and are a lot heavier.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of new items that I can add to the discussion.

I just spoke with my propane tank filler man and he told me that Worthington and Manchester are the two companies that manufacture all of the propane tank valves in the world. He further assured me that as a consequence my tank would work in Thailand with its existing valve connector. (I, of course, have no way to verify his statements, so I offer them FWIW; but he seemed to be absolutely confident.)

Secondly, he recommended that I bring the tank back to him before packing it and he would completely drain and purge it; and would then provide me with a legal certification that this had been done, by an authorized U.S. service center. So apparently this is a not uncommon practice, (but of which I was unaware.)

Anyway, I have still not decided whether to ship the tank, and am still considering everyone's points above. (Thank you again.) But I thought that perhaps these additional thoughts might be of interest to someone.

Best regards,

~~~zapatero

the valve on my tanks has "SMV TH" as the only thing I can see that might indicate a manufacturor....it also is marked PTT which is for a Thai company or gov't agency I think, but of course they could have this stamped on something manufactured by someone else.

I do think that the US and Thai stuff is compatible though...I'm just commenting....that's all.

Edited by chownah