Jomtien immigration office, the residence certificate price is ''tea money'' or not?

I am in the process to sale my car

so i need a certificate of residence from Jomtien immigration (Asked by the transport office)

I was in the IO today, fill the form, make the copies (Passeport, car bluebook) and give the 2 identity photos.

Then the lady at the counter 9 ask me 300 baths, give me a number and ask i come back in 1 hour.

1 hour later i am back, i have my residence certificate, but not any receipt for the 300 bhts payement.

So i ask politely for the receipt and the girl say to me ''no receipt deliver at theis counter''

i ask ''why'' and she answers if i want i give her back my residence certificate and she gives me back my 300 baths

and i need to go to my consulate to ask one.

So the question is, if it is in the immigration office tasks to deliver a certificate of residence

(And it seems it is because there is a form for it, a counter and some people works in it)

they need to has a price on the form (As it is for the visas, and it's the same in all the country

i remember i paid 100 bahts in Chiang rai for the certificate of residence) and deliver a receipt for the payement

or it's just an ''additional'' semi private service. offer by the immigration office (Using for that the public materials and

humans ressources but keep the money for themselves) and every office is free to charge his own price and the money collected is ''tea money''?

(I hope ''tea money'' is the good term to use, feel free to correct me if it's not, i know also the word ''black money'' or ''under the table'' but i

am sure you know what i mean)

What do you think about it?

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i guess it must be tea money, they give a receipt for the 1900 baht tourist visa extension

Yes i think so

but i am surprised since there is now a big sign in the office ''no tip''

and all about ''no corruption'' and so on, and all the ''crusade'' from the

BKK authorities about the war against corruption.

I mean it's not a dissimulated one here, like a bribe by an agent or something like that

everybody can see it, it's public. Big oud is not concerned about that?

When money is given in Thailand government offices/banks etc, all business that I have been involved with in Thailand, I have always, without exception, received a receipt. In my view if someone told you that no receipt will be given it would send up a red flare in my mind. If it were me I would have simply asked very politely, and without implying any wrong doing, to speak with a supervisor. I then would have asked politely for a receipt for my records. Again, without implying any wrong doing.  As for the amount itself, it seems in line with the service provided.

Edited by WalkingOrders
clarity
  • Like 1

Corruption is expected in thai culture.

Just pay up , and move on.

After all , it is their Country,  farlangs are visitors ..

Edited by elliss
  • Sad 1