Exclusive: Less than half of all Americans want Trump ousted post-impeachment - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

Exclusive: Less than half of all Americans want Trump ousted post-impeachment - Reuters/Ipsos poll

By Chris Kahn

2019-12-19T215558Z_3_LYNXMPEFBI22P_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-IMPEACHMENT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally in Battle Creek, Michigan, U.S., December 18, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Less than half of all Americans say President Donald Trump should be removed from office following his impeachment by the U.S. House of Representatives, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Thursday, presenting a challenge for Democrats who will seek his ouster in a U.S. Senate trial.

The national online survey, conducted in the hours after the House voted along party lines on Wednesday to charge Trump with abusing his office and obstructing Congress, found that the rare and highly contentious act by lawmakers has done little to change minds in a divided country.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the top Democrat in Congress, had been initially hesitant to bring impeachment charges against Trump because she was concerned there would not be enough public support.

Her party then sought to build that support through public hearings on the allegations that Trump withheld military aid for Ukraine and pressured its president to investigate a political rival, Joe Biden, before Wednesday's historic impeachment vote.

When asked about the specific impeachment charges, 53% agreed that Trump abused his office and 51% agreed that he obstructed Congress.

Some 42% of respondents - most of them Democrats - said Congress should carry out its ultimate sanction and remove the president from office, as the Senate has the power to do.

Another 17% said Trump should be formally reprimanded with a congressional censure, 29% said they want the impeachment charges dismissed, and the rest said they did not have an opinion.

Trump, the third president in U.S. history to be impeached, now faces an impeachment trial early next year in the Senate. The Republicans who control the chamber have largely supported Trump throughout the House proceedings. The leader of the upper chamber, Senator Mitch McConnell, has said there is no chance of the president being convicted.

The public has remained sharply divided on impeaching Trump, who has denounced the impeachment hearings as a witch hunt and an illegal attempt to oust him from office.

Overall, only 44% of the American public said they approved of the House's handling of Trump's impeachment, while 41% disapproved.

And when asked how the impeachment left them feeling about the president, 26% said they are more supportive of Trump now, while 20% said they are less supportive, and 48% it has not changed their view one way or the other.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online, in English, throughout the United States. It gathered responses from 1,108 people between Dec. 18-19 and has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 3 percentage points.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn, editing by Ross Colvin; editing by Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-20
  • Sad 1

Trump should move to Canada where the system is far more forgiving of its erring politicians.

Several Prime Ministers and provincial Premiers have indulged in blatant corruption or sexual assault or drunk driving or common assault (yes!!), but none was ever brought to any kind of political retribution.  (Most of them even went on to win subsequent elections.) 

All sailed gaily on into well-padded retirement (well ... er....one of the guilty ones still holds centre stage in Canadian political life.) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

As an outsider,

I wonder where the limit is (if there is one) for the followers of Mr. Trump to consider

"This is acceptable"

to 

"This is too much". 

Most of us are well aware of limits, and probably do not believe that Trump has crossed the line of a "High Crime or Misdemeanor worthy of impeachment. For goodness sake, even Clinton hadn't done anything bad enough, IMO, and it was just a witch hunt by the GOP to remove him, IMO.

Far as I'm concerned there hasn't been a president in my adult life time ( except Carter ) that hasn't done some bad stuff along the line. Only ones bad enough to be impeached, IMO, were Reagan and Bush the younger, and no one even tried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why do you call people that do not want their President kicked out of office “followers”?

I don’t follow this President anymore than I followed that last one. 

What do you see his biggest crime being?

"Followers" may be not a good translation. 

I refer to the ones who "admire" him. 

He is lying frequently, I suppose that's not a crime. 

Is his telephone call to be considered as a crime? 

We will never know, as there will not be an impartial judgement on it :

Guilty for Democrats, Not guilty for Republicans. 

• Haha 1

So President Trump has joined the rare club of the Impeached.

Way to go Donny boy.  I bet the late night entertainment industry will miss you when you are gone. I just hope the Democrats will find a better leader than Obama was.

He is a good speaker, but a bit of a dud as the leader he was forecast to be.

A lot like Trudeau of Canada. Mr. Black face, Sh*tface, Two face, or Mr Carbon Tax is not liked by many as well. My Opinion anyway.

Geezer

• Like 2