Close to 5m passengers expected at AOT airports from Dec 26 to Jan 5

snoop1130

Close to 5m passengers expected at AOT airports from Dec 26 to Jan 5

By THE NATION

800_f32cfa5ea328351.jpg

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) expected a total of 4.93 million passengers passing through its six airports, from December 26 to January 5, increasing 2.29 per cent from the same period last year, AOT president Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said today (December 20).

AOT operates Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Don Mueang International Airport, Phuket International Airport, Chiang Mai International Airport, Mae Fah Luang – Chiang Rai International Airport, and Hat Yai International Airport.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is expected to see 2.27 million passengers during the period, up 0.93 per cent from last year, while Don Mueang Airport will see 1.33 million passengers, up 3.26 per cent.

Phuket Airport is expected to welcome 720,000 passengers, up 8.73 per cent, while 406,700 is expected for Chiang Mai Airport, up 0.35 per cent.

The passenger number of Hat Yai airport is expected at 100,000, down 13.64 per cent, while up to 100,000 is forecast for Mae Fah Luang – Chiang Rai International Airport, up 4.94 per cent from the same period last year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379678

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-20

13 minutes ago, djayz said:

Hope the immigration dept. have every booth at the airport occupied for these 5mil. tourists. There's nothing worse than arriving at your destination after a long flight only to see hundreds (thousands?) of people ahead of you in the queue. 

It's over 12 days and five airports. On a 12 hour day thats 1433 passengers an hour. At five minutes each to clear Immi, that's 119 booths over 5 airports. i.e. 24 booths at each to have little or no delay. Plus they'll be working many more hours than 12. Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

So, that will be 100,000,000,000 baht of otherwise completely unnecessary cash being carried by passengers purely to comply with the 20K rule. What a joke.

They said passengers. not Visa Exempt or Visa On Arrival. Not everyone has to carry cash to gain entry and not everyone will be a tourist. If you are a tourist, you still need money or are you expecting 5m begpackers?

Why is it a joke? You'll injure yourself knee jerking like that. Do you have insurance?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

They said passengers. not Visa Exempt or Visa On Arrival. Not everyone has to carry cash to gain entry and not everyone will be a tourist.

The percentage of Thais and permanent residents is probably quite low, so most of these people would have to carry 10k/20k if they follow the official rules.

9 hours ago, djayz said:

Hope the immigration dept. have every booth at the airport occupied for these 5mil. tourists. There's nothing worse than arriving at your destination after a long flight only to see hundreds (thousands?) of people ahead of you in the queue. 

The report doesn't mention tourists and doesn't differentiate between domestic flights, international flights, and transit passengers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

More numbers plucked from the sky no doubt; would love to see the truthful and correct figures after these dates broken down into specific groups of traveller's.   Sadly it ain't gonna happen as only distorted numbers matter in the Land of Liars !

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, donnacha said:

So, that will be 100,000,000,000 baht of otherwise completely unnecessary cash being carried by passengers purely to comply with the 20K rule. What a joke.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

The percentage of Thais and permanent residents is probably quite low, so most of these people would have to carry 10k/20k if they follow the official rules.

Over the years, I’ve welcomed hundreds of guests, family and friends to Thailand. To my knowledge, not one has been asked to show any proof of funds. Of the reports that we read about here on TVF, most of them are newbies - dodgy if you ask me. 
I’m most assuredly not a fan of IO’s but at the same time they have a job to do, even if they can’t do it well. It seems to me that they would query a visitor that raises suspicion; normally through repeated visits in a short period of time. 
If any of the members here personally know of anyone that has been scrutinised, ask yourself first as to why that might be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loong said:

The report doesn't mention tourists and doesn't differentiate between domestic flights, international flights, and transit passengers.

tourist (n) a person who is traveling, especially for pleasure

Neither did I differentiate between domestic and international travellers. Based on the fact that the report focuses on the "holiday season", I simply assumed that the vast majority of people will be travelling for pleasure, thus making them domestic or international tourists. 

What exactly was the point of your comment? 

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Are you the immigration police? Why are you on this site? Are you spying on expats? You obviously hate us. 

Yes. I'm from CI6. I mean, MIA, no, that's not right, I'm from the Stasbucks, Ermmm....

I hate nobody. I dislike fiction presented as fact. I'm against slanted views presented by western media that are swallowed by the gullible and repeated as truth.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

He’s a high Baht apologist.  Always takes the side of ChiComs and the Cha-Cha regime.

When did I ever comment on the baht except to say baht v yuan is on the same ship as any other currency?

Maybe I understand the Chinese and the Thai Government better than most here?

You say that like it's a bad thing?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) expected a total of 4.93 million passengers passing through its six airports, from December 26 to January 5, increasing 2.29 per cent from the same period last year, AOT president Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said today (December 20).

A person will surely be very happy to read this, Khun Piphat!
Do not forget that however the statistics are made by incompetents and are generally corrected upwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

When did I ever comment on the baht except to say baht v yuan is on the same ship as any other currency?

Maybe I understand the Chinese and the Thai Government better than most here?

You say that like it's a bad thing?

All negative—all the time.  So tell us ChiCom, why does the Baht rise higher than any other currency in SE Asia vs the USD?  You seem to have all the answers direct from Beijing...

And how much do they pay trolls like you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2019 at 12:24 AM, donnacha said:

Keep close watch on your money while they count it!!!

• Haha 1

Nitinai Sirismatthakarn should have a word with the immigration chiefs at the airports. 

If the immigration would revamp their antiquated medieval system, do away with the TM6 as proclaimed months ago, then dear Nitinai, Thailand could handle much more than just that. 

Next step would be to park all those usually unused aircraft from the apron facing the terminals to a parking position somewhere further away. This would allow faster turn-around. Recent domestic flights on WE/TG resulted in using bus gates (on arrival and departure) and both bus rides were an interesting tour around the airport. Together with getting on to the bus and walking from the bus into the terminal the in/out of Bangkok airport took longer than the flight time between Udon Thani and Bangkok.

Needless to say that possible half of all finger docks were empty and not blocked by any other aircraft (early afternoon, that was). 

Go figure! 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, Gweiloman said:

Over the years, I’ve welcomed hundreds of guests, family and friends to Thailand. To my knowledge, not one has been asked to show any proof of funds. Of the reports that we read about here on TVF, most of them are newbies - dodgy if you ask me. 
I’m most assuredly not a fan of IO’s but at the same time they have a job to do, even if they can’t do it well. It seems to me that they would query a visitor that raises suspicion; normally through repeated visits in a short period of time. 
If any of the members here personally know of anyone that has been scrutinised, ask yourself first as to why that might be. 

What you say makes perfect sense if you are dealing with raised within the constraints of your own culture and background. Unfortunately Thais do not make perfect sensefrom the perspective of being outide of their culture and development; and you cannot realistically attribute their reasoning to logic, they function on impulse, and normally only on impulse - little if any actual thought required, other than in those who are above average intelligence, which by definition, does not include most Thais.

I'm not Thai bashing, I'm not bashing anyone; but I grow weary of folk who have been raised within a different culture and yet still try to understand what these people do on the basis of their own (usually westernised) culture. It just doesn't work. Thais have their own self-developed culture, and it is to that culture that you must look when trying to understand the things that they do. So if you wish to understand the motivations behind the minds of most IO's, do not look to a non-Thai culture for help. Which make life difficult because I accept that the reasoning and motivational differences between the Thai culture and (for example), my own, are potentially large enough to make what seems perfectly sensible to a Thai appear primitive, under-developed and often just plain stupid to you or I. In reality, neither culture is better, and the Thai culture has developed in accordance with what the country management have determined is appropriate for their population, and I understand that their motivations for the decisions they made may appear to you and I to be unworthy and venal. It is what it is.

Thais are still grappling with how to change their national culture without appearing to admit being subservient to a more westernised culture. That will need to continue for a goodly number of decades more. It ain't over yet and it will continue to be a painful and demeaning process for them, because of - the culture they were brought up in and the lies they've been told in order to keep them subservient and undemanding. This is the major failing of a short-sighted policy by one of the shaping forces in Thailand, you probably know who that was, same as I do.

Edited by ParkerN