Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

52 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I was in hospital with a broken leg in 2008 and people were coming in for cancers ops and going home 3 - 4 days later with instructions to come back for a check up in 6 months.

More than 50% diagnosed with cancer are dead within 5 years, according to NHS statistics.

My personal observations are the death rates are higher than that.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

One thing I’m curious about. Where would you stay if coming for just 3 months? Would you be renting a property or just staying in hotels?

We have a house here, we'd leave it empty for six months.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I came here for the cheap women, never thought much of the food.

Food for thought ????

... but something strange happened to me. I start to like Somtam Thai ... out of sudden, after many years not even touching it ????

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

After reading the details of this -- easy? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Need to leave every 60 days (AWFUL!). Need to show money (OK). Retired status probably OK with pension (OK). Issue of you plan to stay in a condo you own. They don't support that!

I asked for proof of some way to easily stay 6 months CONTINUOUSLY every year.

I appears not to exist.

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

Compare to Mexico. Show up with no visa and a western passport. Six month tourist card granted on the spot (for a fee).

I would be actually interested in retiring in two countries, six months in Thailand and six months somewhere else actually EASY like Mexico, living in my own condo for six months continuously in Thailand. Immigration clearly does not want people like that!

Actually, you only need to leave every 90 days.  Twice. 

So if leaving the country for two days every 9 months is too difficult for you to manage (health reasons, whatever) then you're correct, you would not want to use this method. 

(As for your contention that this isn't "continuously" living in Thailand, you're just playing childish word games.  267 of 269 days in country.)  

Day 1:  Enter Thailand.

Day 59:  Extend entry by 30 days.

Day 89:  Leave Thailand.

Day 90:  Return to Thailand.

Day 149:  Extend entry by 30 days.

Day 179:  Leave Thailand.

Day 180:  Return to Thailand.

Day 239:  Extend entry by 30 days.

Day 269:  End of cycle.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

78.7 is life expectancy at birth. Inclusive of all deaths in infancy childhood etc.

Life expectancy in US for a male already 60 years old is 83. 

And by age 70 it is over 85.

Yes, thanks for correcting that.  I was too lazy to go dig it up and I think my argument gets even stronger given your more detailed numbers. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Life expectancy of western people living in Asia is a lot lower than them living in their home countries.

Medical insurance is a vile disease spreading out from the USA, and destroying the world in the name of corporate greed. 

If you have statistics, please provide them. 

You obviously have a point of view about Thailand, and whatever it is, great.  But, you can't make claims like that without backing up the numbers. 

19 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

So if leaving the country for two days every 9 months is too difficult for you to manage (health reasons, whatever) then you're correct, you would not want to use this method. 

(As for your contention that this isn't "continuously" living in Thailand, you're just playing childish word games.  267 of 269 days in country.)  

Is that with a Single Entrance TV each time?

32 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You can see the racism and xenophobia in Thailand especially in Pattaya if they're not getting money out of you. If they are not they simply don't want us here.

Well, to my ears, that sounds the same as when a woman who is wearing a top with her surgically enhanced boobs almost falling out complains about guys staring at her boobs. 

I understand, some people love Pattaya, and I'm not trying to put anybody else's preferences down, but I've always viewed Pattaya the way you're seeing it now. 

Everywhere changes.  I go back to my old hometown and I don't even recognize it anymore.  Used to be that you knew most of the cops and firemen because you went to school with their children. 

But, it's different today.   Life changes. 

I don't understand where people want Thailand to be stuck in some fixed time when they remembered it to be better than it is today. 

Thailand has gone from semi-third world to a developing country and a major player in the SEA region.  Yeah, stuff's going to change.  People are going to change and evolve too. 

21 minutes ago, digibum said:

If you have statistics, please provide them. 

You obviously have a point of view about Thailand, and whatever it is, great.  But, you can't make claims like that without backing up the numbers. 

On ignore for having an offensive avatar.

7 minutes ago, digibum said:

Well, to my ears, that sounds the same as when a woman who is wearing a top with her surgically enhanced boobs almost falling out complains about guys staring at her boobs. 

I understand, some people love Pattaya, and I'm not trying to put anybody else's preferences down, but I've always viewed Pattaya the way you're seeing it now. 

Everywhere changes.  I go back to my old hometown and I don't even recognize it anymore.  Used to be that you knew most of the cops and firemen because you went to school with their children. 

But, it's different today.   Life changes. 

I don't understand where people want Thailand to be stuck in some fixed time when they remembered it to be better than it is today. 

Thailand has gone from semi-third world to a developing country and a major player in the SEA region.  Yeah, stuff's going to change.  People are going to change and evolve too. 

In Pattaya most of the surgically enhanced boobs you see will be attached to the front of lady boys.

They complain if you DON'T stare at them!

Pattaya is where many of the single men who are new to the LOS come for women. When some of 'em  find one they move out into the sticks and make Pattaya their target for scorn and contempt.

Probably 'cos they wish they were still single again.

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

They did not come here because of a lack of stupidity, they came for warm weather, cheap prices and good food.

I came here for the cheap women, never thought much of the food.

Cheap women included in cheap prices.

That you never thought much of the food does not exclude you from lack of stupidity in fact traveling half way around the world for cheap women demonstrates an abundance of it.    

11 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Nope.  Just one METV.

Be forewarned that people  have had trouble being allowed in doing what you propose. Not everyone but it has happened. Even with a valid METV.

The third entry in particular would be vulnerable to accusations of living here as by then you'd be at the unofficial 180 day point.

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

Anyone that defines this as "easy" especially considering the expectation that you will be staying at HOTELS if you're really not going to be is living on another planet than I am. I'm talking about the idea of doing that year after year like retirement extensions. Your scenario may be OK for a limited time but indefinitely it's a major pain.  Thanks for sharing though. Nothing easy.

Also, so sorry, but using that visa as you suggest to actually basically LIVE in Thailand for large parts of the year, YEAR after YEAR, would almost definitely catch the attention of immigration sooner or later. Such as being denied entry at the airport with the old you come to Thailand too much and tourist visas are for REAL TOURISTS not as scheme to live in Thailand line. That's obvious to me. So you don't really have an answer. 

There is the Elite visa of course,

It's quite costly of course and there is no guarantee problematic changes won't occur later such as quite possibly the expansion of the health insurance requirement to Elite card holders that are obviously using it to LIVE in Thailand. Which really is not the actual intention of that visa and it's super easy for immigration to figure out which people are using it for that. Or they could apply it to all Elite people if they want.  Also if anyone thinks that the Elite organization is providing any kind of guarantee against possible future immigration policies, well, they are NOT!

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Like barings for example?

You remember one bank failure in Asia in over twenty five years yet you ignore the many hundreds of banks that have failed in Western countries over that same period.......that's odd!

I wasn’t sure if I would come back this winter. The 24 h to report where you are every time you move your ass for some days. And the new insurance requirement for O-A visa on top of all normal little ever day stuff like corruption and all other issues that has been discussed here on TVF, had made me quite reluctant.

But when I left, I did get a reentry permit as an easy way back. And after spending 8 month and finally November in Europe….. I kind of had enough of dark cold and rain. I’m on my second year of my O-A visa and I had my reentry permit payed. So, I just got my normal insurance covering me until spring (not needed by law, just common sense). And went back.

Not sure I will come back again after this time, I have been on O-A visas for many years. Spent summers and for the last couple of years more than that back home. Having the best of 2 worlds. Never staying longer on either place to get really sick of it.

But if I would like to come back next winter on a new A-O visa I would have to buy the stupid insurance they demand for that visa, for the whole duration of the visa.

My normal insurance is way better than the sh..t they want you to buy, but not cheap. I won’t pay that kind of money for many month’s not being in Thailand. I still like Thailand have many friends here (Thai and farang) but this might be my last winter here. At least until they change the rules they have now. IMHO this tis insurance demand they have added for the O-A visa can’t have anything with insurance to do. If so, it would apply to all kind of visas. The easy way to sort it would be to add 100 THB as an insurance tax on all international flight tickets to Thailand.

The multiple entry tourist visa was mentioned (see below). But it has a lot of requirements.  For me the that you must have a hotel booked makes it useless. If I stay on in one place, I rent a house after I have seen it. If moving around I don’t plan for 5-6 month ahead. So, next winter will probably be the first one I don’t spend my money in Thailand since many many years. But if they insist in making it difficult what can you do. I really feel for all you who have invested a lot of money, maybe getting kids here and so on. Understand you must have a hard time now. I’m lucky I can just go to some other country.

Required Document in detail

1. A completed and signed visa Application form (Click here to download) Children must have their own visa application and the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must sign the form on the child's behalf.
  2. An original Passport with a validity of at least 6 months. Containing at least two empty visa pages.
    Copy of passport on A4 paper size, do not cut or alter the copy.
    Page with your face and information on it.
  3. Two photographs, size approximately 3cm. x 5cm. Front facing and not older than six months. No photographs.
  4. Copy of reservation tickets, showing arrival and departure dates for Thailand.
  5. A bank statement showing deposit account (CASH ONLY) with an amount of at least 57 000 SEK (200 000 baht) in the past 6 months.
  6. An employment certificate in English from an employer mentions the applicant's job position, salary, the purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date when the applicant is expected to return to work. For self-employed, Please submit the business license or business registration indicating the applicant's name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status in English from the school, college, or university. In the case of unemployment, you are not eligible to apply for this visa.
  7. copy of the hotel/Accommodation reservation in Thailand. (showing your name, date of arrival and departure and full address of hotel reservation) OR if the applicant stays at a friend's house, please submit a letter of invitation, a copy of the friend's ID card or passport and a copy of house registration or leasing contract.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, Gweiloman said:

For me, the deal breaker will be mandatory health insurance as I have a pre-existing condition (3 stents). I can easily self insure the coverage needed and will definitely not purchase the insurance packages currently laid out. 
I find the other requirement (800/400k) reasonable, especially when compared to the requirements of western countries. Stuff like 90day and TM30 is a hassle but not deal breakers.
With the exception of Malaysia, the other affordable ASEAN countries lack far behind in terms of infrastructure, facilities and food offerings. 

Talking about Malaysia, the MM2H scheme gives a 10 year renewable visa; you can buy and own a house; medical insurance law waived if cannot obtain and most people speak English. Just a pity everything closes at 7 pm!!

pennine

38 minutes ago, pennine said:

Talking about Malaysia, the MM2H scheme gives a 10 year renewable visa; you can buy and own a house; medical insurance law waived if cannot obtain and most people speak English. Just a pity everything closes at 7 pm!!

pennine

...closes at 7 pm.....

Not in and around KL. Of course if you talk about towns like Taiping, Muar etc, that’s no different from Nakhon Nowhere. 

Just astonishing the number of people into self torture and masochism in Thailand, I mean <deleted>!! I spent a bit of time in Thailand in the 90s...wasn't too bad, ut it got progressively worse each time I would go back...around 2002 and 2003 was still tolerable...just, couple years later, 3 dead friends, and I had a gun in my face twice, Thailand was clearly losing any appeal, specially factoring in the total arrogance and contempt the majority of Thais treat the dumb Farang, occasionally with the veneer of a smirk...About ten years ago, I re-discovered Philippines after a period of visits in the mid 90s...The new Phils, under Prez Duterte really appeals to many Foreigners, as the economy is booming and Phils is easily the easiest and cheapest country to live with the friendliest people in Asia, this is a fact...anyway you want to dice or slice it...Visas are real easy, 6 months at a time for tourist visas, extended to 3 years, then u leave for a day and reset again...there are various long term visas available, at a fraction of cost of a total scam gov like Thailand...and health care is as simple and straightforward as it can get...so <deleted> get stuck in a hole like Thailand...how dumb, ignorant and plain lazy anyone has to be...jeez...thn again, it stops this country from getting flooded by those types...

2 hours ago, pennine said:

pennine

If you can't afford the financial limits for a Thai "Retirement" Visa, then you're not going to be able to afford MM2H 

It is a nice touch them waiving the Medical Insurance (IIRC you need to set aside monies so effectively self insure), here's hoping Thailand will do something similar.

1 hour ago, Kaitangsou said:

Just astonishing the number of people into self torture and masochism in Thailand, I mean <deleted>!! I spent a bit of time in Thailand in the 90s...wasn't too bad, ut it got progressively worse each time I would go back...around 2002 and 2003 was still tolerable...just, couple years later, 3 dead friends, and I had a gun in my face twice, Thailand was clearly losing any appeal, specially factoring in the total arrogance and contempt the majority of Thais treat the dumb Farang, occasionally with the veneer of a smirk...About ten years ago, I re-discovered Philippines after a period of visits in the mid 90s...The new Phils, under Prez Duterte really appeals to many Foreigners, as the economy is booming and Phils is easily the easiest and cheapest country to live with the friendliest people in Asia, this is a fact...anyway you want to dice or slice it...Visas are real easy, 6 months at a time for tourist visas, extended to 3 years, then u leave for a day and reset again...there are various long term visas available, at a fraction of cost of a total scam gov like Thailand...and health care is as simple and straightforward as it can get...so <deleted> get stuck in a hole like Thailand...how dumb, ignorant and plain lazy anyone has to be...jeez...thn again, it stops this country from getting flooded by those types...

Whereabouts in PI are you living?

I personally think Manila is a horrible place, but do like the VIsayas (Davao, Cebu, Bohol etc...) & Palawan (especially Coron).

7 hours ago, saengd said:

You remember one bank failure in Asia in over twenty five years yet you ignore the many hundreds of banks that have failed in Western countries over that same period.......that's odd!

Many hundreds of banks failing in western countries,find that hard to believe,any links?

Archived