Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

25 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

It's the insurance stupid 

I am now just a suitcase away from leaving for good 

This is what I am aiming for - been running down bank and brokerage balances, can invest in SET if I want via HK broker. Never bought property because I never had visa security and now don't even with retirement extension IMO. the key thing to understand is that Thailand thinks you have the opportunity to "go back your country" and don't care if you don't. They don't care if you are forced to "go back your country" in January at 85 years old, wearing shorts and flip flops, with no money and nowhere to go. Understand this: those who are fooling yourselves about this, stop.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, digibum said:

So, if I had an American friend who had a friend that worked at ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and that guy believed the US should get rid of all immigrants, that's the official policy of the US government? 

Purely just one example. Take it or leave it. You need to make up your own mind, but after over 2.5 decades + here with having family, mine is at the level of there is a weeding out process of most foreign expats wanted.   

49 minutes ago, digibum said:

So, if I had an American friend who had a friend that worked at ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and that guy believed the US should get rid of all immigrants, that's the official policy of the US government? 

Agreed,

A lot of the immigration guys do not think that deeply. Sure, they take the opportunity to make a fast buck if they can, it's normal standard procedure for them. It's ingrained in Thai society. A lot of them are simply reading from a government order or script. There is nothing more sinister in it than that.

I do believe xenophobia has risen in Thailand and very much so. However, it starts at the top of government and filters its way down. This behaviour is also reflected in the way they parade foreigners on TV , many of which are for minor offenses. You then have a general public who believe everything and anything they read or see on the Thai news, in between soap operas, and there you have it.

Outside of Bangkok, most of the schools and rote learning schedules are outdated and abysmal and so is the standard and level of teaching. Don't forget, the government never wanted the vast majority of Thais to be informed and educated, it suited the hierarchy and their agenda. It is great to deflect internal problems by simply blaming foreigners every time something goes wrong.

I think people are leaving for a culmination of many reasons and events . Sure a percentage were borderline stayers on pensions and fluctuations in the baht and the new restrictions with health insurance etc has tipped them over the edge. However, a large percentage are moving on because they are sick of the stupidity, the state sponsored xenophobic attitudes, the constant changing of the rules and the new nonsense locking up 800K for five months and then keeping at least 400K in the bank for no other reason than that they say so, and lastly and most important.............IT JUST ISN'T FUN ANYMORE LIKE IT USED TO BE and other places are providing that ' FUN ' factor and ' VALUE FOR MONEY '. At least be friendly, polite and civil when accepting our money, we are not asking you to bow and scrape, just to use a standard level of expected service..........they even manage that ' basic ' rule in the UK, for all its faults!

I have a good business opportunity that has arisen for me back in the UK and I will know very shortly if my offer has been accepted and I am taking it and I have no problems affording to stay here. It has however, become mundane and no fun. I have been here in total now over 25 years. We have land, houses and property and cars all paid up years ago. Well, the car is new, more or less.

I have had a few problems of late from my ' other half ' and so expected the usual ' I am staying here to look after mum ' when I said I would be gone for prolonged absences of three months plus and only be returning here ' on holiday '  so I was quite taken aback when she said ' I wish to come as well ' Fortunately, the two year visa is still valid so no worries there for now. I will cross future bridges when I come to them.

3 hours ago, digibum said:

IMHO, if you are going to retire overseas, you need to plan like you're going to retire in your home country, except you're doing it in Thailand where the cost of living is lower. 

Life expectancy of western people living in Asia is a lot lower than them living in their home countries.

Medical insurance is a vile disease spreading out from the USA, and destroying the world in the name of corporate greed. 

21 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

You are free to think what you wish but without creditable documentation we just do not know. In my case, after 8 years, I cannot meet the new demand for medical insurance. Even if I could get a policy, anything to do with my pre-existing heart condition would not be be insured so that cost would not be paid to a Thai medical bill.

The same problem re medical insurance requirement  is about to hit Brits who have retired to Germany, Austria, Spain etc. Tks to Brexit. You think Thailand immigration is awkward. 

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Adult human lifespans have been the same for the past 3,000 years.

(Excluding death by war/violence)

How do you arrive at that conclusion, I am puzzled at how you come to it??

The very reason the increased the pension age in the UK was because we have an ageing population that is living longer. That is the same story in many affluent countries around the globe.

Also, with medical advances, educational progress and understanding, healthy attitudes and diets plus exercise etc, it is plain to see that people are no longer dying of diseases and illnesses that they used to.

World statistics also show vast differences in life spans in different countries and continents depending on the wealth or poverty of a country, access to medicines, diets, and all the rest of it.

17 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

As an advocate for truth and clarity, I have a responsibility to the naive to bring a touch of reality to the fantasy that Thailand is the best place on earth...

If that upsets people like you...a Thai apologist...then my message is getting through...makes me happy when people like you complain...☺

What the hell is a "Thai apologist"? I live here 7 months and go home for a while. I defend where I live but I dont defend Thailand as a whole nor the people. Most of the time I am left speechless by the sheer stupidity of Thai society but I choose to spend time here because I like it. The problem with people like yourself is that you leave the country and then you cant drag yourself away from a forum like TV. I see your name on banal comments on almost every thread. I only comment when I have something to say or to wind someone up. You my friend must sleep by your computer or smartphone and have alarms blaring in your home when someone starts a new topic so that you dont miss out on it.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Life expectancy of western people living in Asia is a lot lower than them living in their

home countries. 

That wouldn't surprise me but I seriously doubt you have any data to back that assertion up, right? So if you don't it's only a guess. 

Also Asia is a lot of specific countries with different environments. 

7 hours ago, saengd said:

Perhaps the one good thing that will come out of all these threats to leave is that more people will start to think seriously about a workable plan B. We bought a small flat in the UK a few years ago and that's my plan B, we use it each year for holidays and rent it out the rest of the time. I wouldn't really want to live there year round, especially not during the winter months but if push came to shove I suppose I could. One scenario for us, if Thailand started to get to restrictive, is to spend six months in each location which is close to what we do presently. It seems as though present visa rules would allow that without too much hassle or red tape and may actually be desirable in many ways. Having that option available to me makes me feel less paranoid about the things that are happening around me and more inclined to go with the flow. I've never thought expats were targeted out of malice, we're simply on the receiving end of lots of people who don't function very well in their respective jobs plus a lot of knee jerk and poorly thought through actions.

Explain to me how I can easily stay here for 6 months continuos every year without a retirement extension or OA or playing risky visa run games. 

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

However, a large percentage are moving on because they are sick of the stupidity,

No you have that turned around.  They left their home countries because they were sick of the stupidity.

They did not come here because of a lack of stupidity, they came for warm weather, cheap prices and good food.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Explain to me how I can easily stay here for 6 months continuos every year without a retirement extension or OA or playing risky visa run games. 

From what I've read in these threads it appears that two visits per year of three months each is the maximum Immigration will tolerate without some kind of specific long stay visa. I haven't looked into the mechanics of it but even if that involves two separate visits I could handle that with some time in say Singapore in between. 

1 hour ago, jimn said:

What the hell is a "Thai apologist"? I live here 7 months and go home for a while. I defend where I live but I dont defend Thailand as a whole nor the people. Most of the time I am left speechless by the sheer stupidity of Thai society but I choose to spend time here because I like it. The problem with people like yourself is that you leave the country and then you cant drag yourself away from a forum like TV. I see your name on banal comments on almost every thread. I only comment when I have something to say or to wind someone up. You my friend must sleep by your computer or smartphone and have alarms blaring in your home when someone starts a new topic so that you dont miss out on it.

Actually, an alarm goes off anytime a "Thai-apologist" rears his ugly head...

12 minutes ago, saengd said:

From what I've read in these threads it appears that two visits per year of three months each is the maximum Immigration will tolerate without some kind of specific long stay visa. I haven't looked into the mechanics of it but even if that involves two separate visits I could handle that with some time in say Singapore in between. 

One thing I’m curious about. Where would you stay if coming for just 3 months? Would you be renting a property or just staying in hotels?

On 12/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Made my exit in Nov for all the reasons described in this post.  Wanted to stay forever...but at what cost to my personal freedom and sense of acceptance...

Happy to be away from all the hassles...

Cut the chord dude. But you cant your heart is till in Thailand and constantly telling us you made the right move screams trying to convince yourself and not us! Enjoy your winter

5 hours ago, digibum said:

The average age at death of Americans in the US is 78.7 years (I can't be bothered to look up the rate for every country).  If you retire at 60, that means, on average, you to have enough expenses to cover you for 18.7 years.  Most retirement planners recommend planning for 30 years because running out of money at 78 would suck some serious balls. 

IMHO, if you are going to retire overseas, you need to plan like you're going to retire in your home country, except you're doing it in Thailand where the cost of living is lower. 

The overage is your safety net.  The overage helps cover currency fluctuations.  The overage helps cover the fact that developing countries often have GDP growth well in excess of your own country which means inflation runs in excess of your own country.  The excess helps cover the cost of relocating back to your home country if you get kicked out, the currency strengthens too much, inflation eats away your purchasing power, you suddenly become nostalgic for crappy weather, etc. 

78.7 is life expectancy at birth. Inclusive of all deaths in infancy childhood etc.

Life expectancy in US for a male already 60 years old is 83. 

And by age 70 it is over 85.

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

The same problem re medical insurance requirement  is about to hit Brits who have retired to Germany, Austria, Spain etc. Tks to Brexit. You think Thailand immigration is awkward. 

However I suspect the insurance options will be much more realistic and better value.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Nice try hotshot! You may be right about a hand full of expats gaming the system until the embassy letters were discontinued.  But you are wrong to extend the lack of funds reason to all expats that have left or are leaving.  Thailand has many problems...as expressed here already...many leave for a more healthy environment, ease of visas and quality of life.

Thailand is not that wonderful anymore...IMHO.

Speechless ????

34 minutes ago, saengd said:

Someone explain the mechanics. Most of us get 30 days on entry without a visa. I don't think there really is an EASY way to do six months straight every year without risk of ending up at the airport detention center eventually. Prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I wish I could leave the country and stay gone, but I still have enough feelings for my two kids to endure it a bit longer.

I can't think of anything else I like about the country these days.

All the farangs are bailing huh? I saw at least five buying gift baskets and Xmas snacks at Tops over the weekend, way out here in Issan. Then I saw this:

https://www.tops.co.th/en/thanksgiving-christmas-2019

Seems like an awful lot of effort, marketing to this shrinking customer base.

1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

All the farangs are bailing huh? I saw at least five buying gift baskets and Xmas snacks at Tops over the weekend, way out here in Issan. Then I saw this:

https://www.tops.co.th/en/thanksgiving-christmas-2019

Seems like an awful lot of effort, marketing to this shrinking customer base.

Fail.

Nobody said ALL. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wish I could leave the country and stay gone, but I still have enough feelings for my two kids to endure it a bit longer.

I can't think of anything else I like about the country these days.

Whats wrong? Your posts tell us you are in Vietnam every second month and your also banging everything on 2 legs. Sounds like your living the life but perhaps explain to us how thats possible with a partner and 3 kids living smack in the middle of a rice paddy surrounded by mountains on all sides ?

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Someone explain the mechanics. Most of us get 30 days on entry without a visa. I don't think there really is an EASY way to do six months straight every year without risk of ending up at the airport detention center eventually. Prove me wrong.

You can get about nine months out of an METV with a couple of border runs.  Is that something that meets your criteria of "easy"?  Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.

14 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

You can get about nine months out of an METV with a couple of border runs.  Is that something that meets your criteria of "easy"?  Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.

After reading the details of this -- easy? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Need to leave every 60 days (AWFUL!). Need to show money (OK). Retired status probably OK with pension (OK). Issue of you plan to stay in a condo you own. They don't support that!

I asked for proof of some way to easily stay 6 months CONTINUOUSLY every year.

I appears not to exist.

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

Compare to Mexico. Show up with no visa and a western passport. Six month tourist card granted on the spot (for a fee).

I would be actually interested in retiring in two countries, six months in Thailand and six months somewhere else actually EASY like Mexico, living in my own condo for six months continuously in Thailand. Immigration clearly does not want people like that!

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The main issue I have with the insurance policy is I don't want to waste my money.

75 isn't an age I ever expect to reach, at 64 I've already beat my parents (who both died of cancer in their early 60s).

Bear in mind medical science and cancer research and treatment has come on in leaps and bounds since then.

I was in hospital with a broken leg in 2008 and people were coming in for cancers ops and going home 3 - 4 days later with instructions to come back for a check up in 6 months.

The looks of relief and happiness on their faces when they were discharged made you realise what a treasure our National Health Service and its workers really are.

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Not a belief. I have Thai friend who has an immigration old university friend and the anti foreigner sentiment is high and festering. Xenophobia is marching. Think of it this way: Start clear cutting on the lower end and then make the middle to high end jump as high as they can and the ones who can't jump high enough will be forced out. Don't believe one bit they care about any Western expats. Just care about not getting a bad rap on the world stage. They need the tourism dollars but do not want the multiple comers and goers and comers so are opting to see how to bring in new fresh tourism income. Ofcourse they do not want all of us out, but they who they see as repeat offenders or not enough money to their liking or maybe acclimated to being Thai enough no. Only want a select few who can stay under their scheme of criteria. In 5-7 years who knows. Initiatives can backfire and then reversed, but I don't know how long we all will be able to hang on. For the insurance, I do see it going to Non O so I will purchase it sometime this year or before I am 60 and never use it.. This really all started to turn when Thaksin was in office. They are just following it through. So, honestly they want to see S E Asian faces probably more than the Westerners. And they are the you know who already. They are wealthy to begin with. 

You can see the racism and xenophobia in Thailand especially in Pattaya if they're not getting money out of you. If they are not they simply don't want us here.

We've been force fed the joys of multiculturalism in our countries since WW2. The Thais have not. One of their major daily newspapers is called something like Thais Love Thais (Thai Rak Thai) and it's a sentiment that's considered not just acceptable but admirable.

There's a minor political organisation in the UK called Britain First and one in Germany called Alternative for Germany. The French have their Front National.

Our liberal elite and their media chums refer to these outfits as neo nazis because they claim to put their own people first in their own country.

However such a claim is perfectly acceptable and normal in Thailand and other Asian countries. Few of them accept foreign immigrants or even asylum seekers. But some of us can't get our heads around that. "You're not in Kansas now" as the Yanks say!

Archived