Thai retailers to stop giving plastic bags from Jan 1

rooster59

So much for all the Thai bashing and constant complaining their in the dark ages!

Don't go back to your own countries. You'll see just how far behind your attitude is towards simple things like plastic bags.

There has been a pretty wide move by a lot of retailers towards limiting plastic bags here already.

Good on them!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, VBF said:

So he's sorting and taking the items to one of the the plants you mentioned earlier?

I thought you meant he was independent.

I'm sure you must know how it works.

People, usually the very poor, spend their time raking through public trash bins for anything recyclable.

They will then take the collected recyclables to a 'bigger collector', i.e. the middle man, who will pay by kilo.

The 'middle man' will then sell all the recyclable trash to one of recycling plants.

Those plants will then put it through their recycling process and sell their product (usually plastic pellets) back to industry to be made into whatever.

• Thanks 1

Have you ever noticed how it's all the people with CARS that are all for the plastic bag ban when the majority of thais only have motorbikes, This wont last a month, 1st day after hundreds of people just walk out and leave full trolleys of stuff behind the supermarkets will go back to giving out plastic bags!

• Thanks 1

The butthurt here by some is rather amusing and reminds me of the outrage in Aus 2 years ago when they banned plastic bags.

The woolies re-usable bags were much better in that they did not split half way from the car to front door spilling my groceries all over the place !

2 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Have you ever noticed how it's all the people with CARS that are all for the plastic bag ban when the majority of thais only have motorbikes, This wont last a month, 1st day after hundreds of people just walk out and leave full trolleys of stuff behind the supermarkets will go back to giving out plastic bags!

They fill a trolley then carry it home on their scooter ?

Would be rather amusing to see !!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

A. Most people with just a scooter don’t buy trolley loads of stuff, just 2 or 3 bags full.

B. If they can carry their usual 3 bags on a bike I am sure they can carry a couple of reusable bags instead.

C. On the first day ( Jan 1 ) most will be too drunk to go shopping anyway

14 hours ago, HHTel said:

I'm sure you must know how it works.

People, usually the very poor, spend their time raking through public trash bins for anything recyclable.

They will then take the collected recyclables to a 'bigger collector', i.e. the middle man, who will pay by kilo.

The 'middle man' will then sell all the recyclable trash to one of recycling plants.

Those plants will then put it through their recycling process and sell their product (usually plastic pellets) back to industry to be made into whatever.

If I'm honest, no i didn't know because I never really thought it through - my bad.

Thanks for the explanation ????

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

A. Most people with just a scooter don’t buy trolley loads of stuff, just 2 or 3 bags full.

B. If they can carry their usual 3 bags on a bike I am sure they can carry a couple of reusable bags instead.

hahahhaha, nailed it.

Ive never seen a Thai fill a trolley and then carry home in plastic bags on a scooter.... a 3 wheeled one yes but not a normal scooter.

Edited by Don Mega

On 12/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, zydeco said:

Come the first of the year and I shall go into Tops or Foodland, buy 7000 or 8000 baht worth of groceries and goods, and, if they don't start packing it in plastic bags, I'll leave it on the counter and walk out.

The actions of a child who can't get his/her way after stamping her/his feet.

Act like a child by all means but don't expect any respect from the grown-ups!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, HHTel said:

The actions of a child who can't get his/her way after stamping her/his feet.

Act like a child by all means but don't expect any respect from the grown-ups!

A fanatic resorting to yet more hyperbole for his solipsistic view of the world. Too many fat old farangs around this place are desperate to believe in something. They discarded Jesus and Communism, got burnt by Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand. Now they want to sacrifice witches at the stake because of plastic bags. Watch these teetering old fatties as they fall out of their trucks and cars and waddle into the malls and supermarkets and then wheeze back on out to the parking lots, where loading every one of their earth bags causes them to grunt like a mule hauling ore out of a mine. Then, they drive off, contributing more air pollution and poisons from their vehicles than a thousand plastic bags would contribute if they walked instead. But walking more than a couple of hundred meters would probably cause a heart attack. Feeling good about plastic bags makes them think their life is worth something. 555

Edited by zydeco
  • Haha 2

Except you have it wrong as usual.  The banning of plastic is nothing about pollution in the atmosphere but to protect our oceans and maritime wildlife.  The two are completely separate issues.

As usual, you are clutching at straws to prop up your argument.  It doesn't work.

53 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Except you have it wrong as usual.  The banning of plastic is nothing about pollution in the atmosphere but to protect our oceans and maritime wildlife.  The two are completely separate issues.

As usual, you are clutching at straws to prop up your argument.  It doesn't work.

You are probably the most vocal proponent of this on TVF. I don’t object to the ban on single use plastic. But why can’t the big retailers substitute it with recyclable bags for free? 

Well some are offering re-usable bags where you are charged once and they'll replace for free.

My comments were not aimed at your, Gweiloman, but to zydeco who appears less than mature.

I was a little annoyed at zydeco's ageist remarks.  Don't assume that 'old' people become incapable just because they're old.  I agree, some are fat and less mobile than others, but it's not the norm.  My mother is 94 (same age as our queen) and she still does her own shopping and never forgets to take her shopping bags with her. And zydeco has stated that if they don't put his shopping in plastic bags at the check-out then he'll leave the stuff and walk out.

Let's see the reactions (of which there'll be many) next week after 'D-day'!

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

You are probably the most vocal proponent of this on TVF. I don’t object to the ban on single use plastic. But why can’t the big retailers substitute it with recyclable bags for free? 

I'll take that as a complement.  I'm obviously getting noticed.

14 hours ago, HHTel said:

I'm obviously getting noticed.

Yes, you're famous. Break out the celebrity magazines for an interview. Some anonymous poster on TVF thinks he's the plastic police.

Edited by zydeco
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, zydeco said:

I'm waiting for the first viral video of someone on a scooter or motorcycle who is killed or seriously injured, because they were only given the option of paper bags or cardboard boxes and couldn't manage or balance them on their vehicles--as is easily done with neatly tied up plastic bags.

funny you should say this... siam square yesterday afternoon a motorcyclist was riding with a plastic bag containing several of those large iced drinks containers (quite heavy i'd think) hooked over one side of his handlebars (he also had his mirrors tucked in as some do) he was riding too fast and weaving through the traffic, the handlebar with the drinks hanging caught the side of a van and over he and his motorcycle went, he was wearing a helmet and got up, his bike was a mess and the van driver unhappy. it's not the plastic or the paper, it's the mentality.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with plastic bags. The knuckleheads who don't dispose of them properly and the equally inefficient local authorities unable to collect them are the cause of the problem. So those of us who do act responsibly have to use whatever to carry our goods. Never mind, I'll just buy a roll of  bin liners and use them at the checkout !  I suppose the village street markets will also be stopping the use of plastic bags  !!!  

Edited by Humpy
Finger trouble 1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Humpy said:

There is nothing wrong with plastic bags. The knuckleheads who don't dispose of them properly and the equally inefficient local authorities unable to collect them are the cause of the problem. So those of us who do act responsibly have to use whatever to carry our goods. Never mind, I'll just buy a roll of  bin liners and use them at the checkout !  I suppose the village street markets will also be stopping the use of plastic bags  !!!  

WHAT IS SINGLE-USE PLASTIC AND WHY IS IT A PROBLEM?

Single-use plastics, or disposable plastics, are used only once before they are thrown away or recycled. These items are things like plastic bags, straws, coffee stirrers, soda and water bottles and most food packaging. 

We produce roughly 300 million tons of plastic each year and half of it is disposable! World-wide only 10-13% of plastic items are recycled. The nature of petroleum based disposable plastic makes it difficult to recycle and they have to add new virgin materials and chemicals to it to do so. Additionally there are a limited number of items that recycled plastic can be used.

Petroleum based plastic is not biodegradable and usually goes into a landfill where it is buried or it gets into the water and finds it’s way into the ocean. Although plastic will not biodegrade (decompose into natural substance like soil,) it will degrade (break down) into tiny particles after many years. In the process of breaking down, it releases toxic chemicals (additives that were used to shape and harden the plastic) which make their way into our food and water supply.

These toxic chemicals are now being found in our bloodstream and the latest research has found them to disrupt the Endocrine system which can cause cancer, infertility, birth defects, impaired immunity and many other ailments.

We produce hundreds of millions of tons of plastic every year, most of which cannot be recycled. It’s obvious that we need to use less plastic, move towards environmentally sustainable products and services and come up with technology that recycles plastic more efficiently. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Humpy said:

That would be the circle to watch - daily markets, where plastic bag use is rife and clearly the overwhelming majority of marketing.

The promoted consciousness regarding Western-style supermarkets, box stores, and mini-marts is just a drop in the ocean.

To be expected, the universal bigger is missed.

On 12/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, Gweiloman said:

And if they are unwilling to do even that, how about at the very least demanding a windfall profits tax against retailers who stand to make a fortune with this policy? If I am going to be inconvenienced, I demand that the already uber wealthy don't benefit from it.

Anyone who thinks this plan is being done to help the environment is a just tool for the elite. I have no problem if people genuinely want to help the wealthy buy a new jet, but the hypocrisy of saying this plan is "to help the environment" is just too egregious to be considered. If you actually like this plan, be honest with everyone. Stop lying. Stand up and say "I love the rich corporations, and I want to help them get richer!"  Don't pretend this is being done for any other reason.

There are many ways to help the environment with the problems of plastic, but only this way uses our inconvenience to line the wallets of the 1%.

Edited by Monomial
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, MikeN said:

Obvious you never shop at big tesco much or big C, There are always tons of thais with 6-10+ bags in a trolley that they put on their scooter and then slowly ride home with....There are always at least 10-20 trolleys at a time in the scooter parking area that thai's leave for the collector to get but obviously your a car driver here!!

let's not forget all the plastic bottles people use I go through 6x 600ml nestle bottles of water a day...pretty much single use plastic but I doubt they be banning them anytime soon!!

Edited by theonetrueaussie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Obvious you never shop at big tesco much or big C, There are always tons of thais with 6-10+ bags in a trolley that they put on their scooter and then slowly ride home with....There are always at least 10-20 trolleys at a time in the scooter parking area that thai's leave for the collector to get but obviously your a car driver here!!

let's not forget all the plastic bottles people use I go through 6x 600ml nestle bottles of water a day...pretty much single use plastic but I doubt they be banning them anytime soon!!

Quite a few of us just don't get how a lot, maybe most, people live here. My housekeeper also brings in large bottles of water once a week, balancing five of them on her scooter, while she sits behind her husband with one hand holding a laundry basket--all of it plastic wrapped in plastic or rubber. Thais are amazingly efficient at transporting huge amounts of goods, albeit it seems exceedingly dangerous. I've also seen what looked like elephant or camel caravans coming out of Lotus or Big C with piled on plastic bags in arrangements I had hitherto thought impossible.

• Like 1