Thai retailers to stop giving plastic bags from Jan 1

rooster59

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, VBF said:

One problem in Thailand is that recycling itself is uncommon. A friend who lives in a condo in Jomtien, puts all his household rubbish including plastic into 1 big communal "wheelie bin". When I asked him about recycling, there's no facility. In UK we do have those facilities....I guess Thailand will too....eventually.

That's the same as where I live, communal wheelie bins that everything gets thrown into, no separation. We do have a couple of local ladies who go through the bins taking out plastic bottle etc that they recycle for some pin-money, otherwise it all goes into the back of the waste truck on twice weekly collections... household waste, food waste you name it it's all together, I think it must all go to land fill because no-ones going to be sorting that lot out!

One step at a time, get Thais use to the plastic bag issue then maybe in time separation of waste at collection points, but I think thats a decade or two off yet!

Just in case I have some lovely sustainable recycled shopping cloth bags for sale...US$ 100,- per bag / shipping extra of course, with no guarantee it will arrive naturally.

And what's next ? Shall we also start a campaign to incite users to recycle their condoms (for those who use them, that is).

15 hours ago, MikeN said:

You don't take a briefcase or backpack, or any other bag with you ? Put your reusable bags into that ready for your shopping whims.

Once again, do not presume that you know what my work consists of and how I must go in in prepared for it. You and people like you who demand that everyone live by your rules and the way you live your life are the problem. I've stated the easy solution for this. But none of you want to go that route. You prefer to put more money into the hands of the mall and chain store owner billionaires.

15 hours ago, HHTel said:

Several countries in Africa (Rwanda being ahead of the pack with heavy enforcement) and they cope and have coped for a long time.

That says a lot about you, zydeco, doesn't it?

Yes, it says I don't want to live in Africa.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I think it must all go to land fill because no-ones going to be sorting that lot out!

Incorrect. Haven’t you ever seen on TV the “scavengers” trying to eek out a living from the waste centres and landfill sites. In the this region the Philippines and Indonesia have them so why not here too.

3 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

Already a lot of Thai say they dont want a plastic bag at 7-11 or Tops or wherever.

A plastic bag ban is a GREAT way to start the new year and shows how progressive Thailand is.

It would be progressive if they used tapioca bags instead but hey they cost 2-3 times as much and they can't afford that of course.

Several years ago when I lived in Hua Hin, the Villa Market there used biodegradable bags.  What happened to that concept?  I had some stuff in a desk drawer in one of the small Villa bags and within six months it had completely broken down into tiny shards.  Quite a little mess, actually, but I was glad to see that they were into the concept.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, justin case said:

villa always claimed their bags are bio-degradable ...so why do they stop ?

MONEY

I (and others here) have been saying from the very start of this campaign of plastic-hostility (and it will get more and more extreme and all-embracing, you watch!) that the obvious thing to do is replace the plastic bags with biodegradable bags. That way no one is inconvenienced when suddenly deciding, on the spur of the moment, to do some shopping (instead of having to carry canvass bags around with one the whole time).

But Thailand is not going down the biodegradable route. Why not? As another poster here pointed out: MONEY. It is cheaper for stores simply to stop supplying bags altogether. 

So much for 'customer service' and 'customer convenience' (vanishing concepts)!

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Several years ago when I lived in Hua Hin, the Villa Market there used biodegradable bags.  What happened to that concept?  I had some stuff in a desk drawer in one of the small Villa bags and within six months it had completely broken down into tiny shards.  Quite a little mess, actually, but I was glad to see that they were into the concept.

Until a standard is introduced, degradable (or OXO) bags carry some problems.

If in a landfill, they will not degrade.  As wpcoe has pointed out, they degrade into smaller and smaller pieces of plastic due to the chemicals added to make that happen.  Also if one of these bags are mixed in with other plastic during recycling, because of the chemicals they have, the whole recycled batch will be contaminated.

Compostable bags are a little better in that they will degrade even when buried.

Thailand has banned by law from Jan 1st 3 types of plastic, one of them being OXO degradable bags along with micro-beads and cap seals.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, holy cow cm said:

I use the bags for dog poo. So what do I do now? fling it over to the neighbors yards?

Yeah we use them for that too.
In other use cases I'm sure all of us have a plastic bag full of plastic bags, so they do get re-used.
I'm not going to use a hemp bag for dog poo.

16 hours ago, HHTel said:

Actually there are 33 plastic recycling plants in Thailand (I've just counted them).   There are some areas that have different bins for different waste but these are few and far between.

However, putting everything in the same bin is not a problem.  The local 'sorter' will arrive several times a day to take out what is recyclable.  Our local sorter is a bearded guy with a big cart in which to carry the recyclables to the nearest merchant.

Indeed, but that's an unofficial solution born of the the bearded guy's need, rather than one that's government mandated. Having said that, I take your point: there just needs to be more recycling available so that it's not just "some areas" with the different bins.

Well, maybe with all the millions of baht saved from not giving out plastic bags these fat cat megacorps can reduce their prices on goods as a reward/gesture of goodwill for customers accepting just this terse "No plastic" response at the tills and leaving you to fend for yourself (in the form of bring a bag or just carting it all away as individual items).... I'm OK with that but toss me a bone, please. Otherwise, it could easily be construed that these companies are just eagerly exploiting this change in the public's attitude as a way to cynically lengthen their profit margins and look good at the same time (double win for them). However, I will not hold my breath but they should be pressured to do it. 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, Daveyh said:

I think the main problem here is going to be the fast food on the street & the take home meals for the millions of workers who live in shared rooms, have limited cooking facilities & rely on this essential service.

Food vendors aren't part of this initiative so how will that be a problem? 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, fxe1200 said:
On 12/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, justin case said:

villa always claimed their bags are bio-degradable ...so why do they stop ?

MONEY

They are biodegradable, but it takes them roughly 500 years to decompose.

After three or four months or so Villa's bags start to disintegrate.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, Bantex said:

I recently went into a 7/11 store which had signs displayed at each till saying “no plastic bags” only in English but not in Thai. I was buying eight items and staff reached automatically for the usual plastic bags, I told them I didn’t want any plastic bags and i handed over my own reusable shopping bag. The staff thanked me for not using plastic bags but when I got home, I discovered that they had put my purchases in plastic bags before putting them in my own reusable shopping bag.

Why did you stand there and watch them do that?

6 hours ago, HHTel said:

I hope you live a long life because eventually it'll be hard to find a country that will accept you and your plastic bag.  Good luck.

Probably longer than the anti-plastic hysterics, because I'll be getting lots of exercise walking my 6 km round trip to Foodland, made possible with my plastic bags, which will be back on the counters within a week or two after Thais encounter this new policy.

39 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Probably longer than the anti-plastic hysterics, because I'll be getting lots of exercise walking my 6 km round trip to Foodland, made possible with my plastic bags, which will be back on the counters within a week or two after Thais encounter this new policy.

Well hopefully if the agreement/commitment works, then you'll need to carry your bags, plastic or otherwise, as Foodland will not supply you with one.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, zydeco said:

And the richest billionaires in Thailand thank you for your contribution to their bottom line. You and millions of other sheep people will enable their purchases of even more private yachts, high end sports cars, and airplanes, all of which will contribute millions of times over compared to the pollution generated by plastic bags.

Football clubs also

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

No he's not a recycler, he's a sorter.  I'm talking about official recycling plants that produce a product from the recycling.

So he's sorting and taking the items to one of the the plants you mentioned earlier?

I thought you meant he was independent.

If the big retailers stick to their guns it should work. People just need to suck it up and bring their own bags to the shops to take home their groceries. Some major companies in Australia tried it and there were almost riots in the streets. Let's not think Thais are the only ones behind the eight-ball on this issue.

Archived