Thai retailers to stop giving plastic bags from Jan 1

rooster59

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

April 1st moved to January? Number 5 in your list, Makro I have never received once a plastic bag from them, take your goods out in the shopping trolley, you cant bring your own bags in with you, must leave them at security counter.

We just transfer from the trolley to bags in the back of the car. Simples.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems an easy way to stop something but CP tried it in Phuket last year and customers went wild, demanding their free bags. I don't know who taught people to chuck bags at first use. I and several other friends generally use the same plastic bags until they break, which can be a couple of months. 7 Eleven bags are so thin and break after 12 or 14 uses, but a plastic bag with some thickness seems to last a very long time. 

Considering the vastly increased global warming caused by agriculture, I don't see this as helping to ease global warming, but more likely the laziness of the consumer causing a mess that can't be ignored any longer.

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't agree with this at all, it will not work and there will be a spectacular backtrack within a matter of months.

Just watch and see.

So negative, so just because you think it will not work you don't agree with it, so you think having mounting of plastic bags all over the place is a good idea  

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Considering the list published which includes the many thousands of 7/11, Family Mart, Tesco, Big-C and others, it will take time finding a store that gives out plastic bags.  The 'mom and pop' shops will carry on for a while.

Don't forget that this is a signed agreement, not a law.  However, the law banning the issue of plastic single use bags starts Jan 1st 2021.  So it's only a matter of time.

Signed agreements mean ZERO in Thailand......Just ask Hopewell.....Plastic bags are here to stay 100%...

8 hours ago, Chazar said:

and  no mention like with paraquat what else  will be available.............good  plan

You’ll need cardboard boxes soon to carry you fruit or groceries in ,but I guess if you get too many and you decide to burn some will be then creating a bit more smoke pollution 

40 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Come the first of the year and I shall go into Tops or Foodland, buy 7000 or 8000 baht worth of groceries and goods, and, if they don't start packing it in plastic bags, I'll leave it on the counter and walk out.

Hey I will be right behind you doing the same.....

I am thinking this is more Thai Greed disguised as Environmental Friendliness.

And disrespect to all the Thai people who collect plastic bags every day from the trash for resale.

In Phnom Penh businesses charge extra for plastic bags (with the store name on it i.e. free advertising) and make a pretty good profit in the process.

1 minute ago, Hoppyone said:

You’ll need cardboard boxes soon to carry you fruit or groceries in ,but I guess if you get too many and you decide to burn some will be then creating a bit more smoke pollution 

I'm waiting for the first viral video of someone on a scooter or motorcycle who is killed or seriously injured, because they were only given the option of paper bags or cardboard boxes and couldn't manage or balance them on their vehicles--as is easily done with neatly tied up plastic bags.

57 minutes ago, Purdey said:

This seems an easy way to stop something but CP tried it in Phuket last year and customers went wild, demanding their free bags.

And as it should be......Stores WILL provide FREE plastic bags or suffer the consistences.....The smart stores will roll over and dump the ban on the first day.... 

2 hours ago, Swede65 said:

My gf works at 7-11 and she says they're not giving bags as from jan 1. I don't see their name in the list above, is 7-11 under another company? 

My nearest 711's have stopped giving plastic bags already. 

But (and maybe asked already) what about goods from the meat and fish counters? How will they be sold?

58 minutes ago, goonnerone said:

So negative, so just because you think it will not work you don't agree with it, so you think having mounting of plastic bags all over the place is a good idea  

The poster you are responding to said nothing of the kind.  

12 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Here on Samui, the larger versions of Tesco, Homepro and Big C have all stopped giving out plastic bags. Macro have never given them. Not sure about Tesco Express and Little C as I never use them.

Well done say I

What do you use for trash? Specifically wet trash like food or things that are especially dirty?

2 minutes ago, nightfox said:

Way to make a statement,and a total fool of yourself lol..........If your going to spend 7,000-8,000bht why not buy a recyclable bag that they will all sell for an extra 20 bht you cheapskate.

Heck NO we want FREE plastic bags.....

5 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Folks just make 7-11s or Big C PLASTIC hand held shopping basket your new take home plastic bag....lol

They're already afraid something like this is going to happen. And not just at 7.  The Tops at Central Pinklao is located on the basement level. The door to the taxi stand outside has either stairs or an escalator you must go up. They have put plastic barriers in place to keep shoppers from putting their shopping carts on the escalator to get to the main level taxi stand. Now, imagine you're one person and you have six or seven paper bags full of groceries from Tops. How do you get them to the taxi stand? Easy to loop 6 or 7 plastic bags on your fingers and hands. But not to hold paper bags or, worse, cardboard boxes. I can just see the carnage that will take place in front of the escalator. And I can see Thais erupting like a volcano when they're directly effected by this. The anti plastic bag hysteria won't last a month.

I fully support this, just hope it's enforced and not an empty promise.  Tops are selling reusable bags for 3 Baht each.  Just bought 4 bags along with todays groceries and put them back in the car for next time once we unpacked them at home.  We still have a pile of Tops and Big c plastic bags piled up in the store room for rubbish and when they run out will simply buy some proper ones.

6 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I fully support this, just hope it's enforced and not an empty promise.  Tops are selling reusable bags for 3 Baht each.  Just bought 4 bags along with todays groceries and put them back in the car for next time once we unpacked them at home.  We still have a pile of Tops and Big c plastic bags piled up in the store room for rubbish and when they run out will simply buy some proper ones.

And the richest billionaires in Thailand thank you for your contribution to their bottom line. You and millions of other sheep people will enable their purchases of even more private yachts, high end sports cars, and airplanes, all of which will contribute millions of times over compared to the pollution generated by plastic bags.

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

They're already afraid something like this is going to happen. And not just at 7.  The Tops at Central Pinklao is located on the basement level. The door to the taxi stand outside has either stairs or an escalator you must go up. They have put plastic barriers in place to keep shoppers from putting their shopping carts on the escalator to get to the main level taxi stand. Now, imagine you're one person and you have six or seven paper bags full of groceries from Tops. How do you get them to the taxi stand? Easy to loop 6 or 7 plastic bags on your fingers and hands. But not to hold paper bags or, worse, cardboard boxes. I can just see the carnage that will take place in front of the escalator. And I can see Thais erupting like a volcano when they're directly effected by this. The anti plastic bag hysteria won't last a month.

Take your own bags, or if you're too forgetful then it serves you right, and you can let the experience serve as a reminder for the next time.

But seriously, how do people like you (you've mentioned) manage getting out of bed and walking down the street everyday? smh 

1 minute ago, z42 said:

Take your own bags, or if you're too forgetful then it serves you right, and you can let the experience serve as a reminder for the next time.

But seriously, how do people like you manage getting out of bed and walking down the street everyday? smh 

Not only do I walk down the street. I walk 3 km to and 3 km back from my local Foodland. All made possible by plastic bags, which I can easily carry that distance. I don't use a private internal combustion engine to transport myself around--or store bags. And my carbon footprint, as a result, is much smaller than most. How about you? And, no, I cannot carry around reusable bags or whatever with me on a regular basis, because I cannot go into my workplace with reusable plastic bags bulging out of every pocket. Many times I find myself happening to be nearby a store and take advantage of that to make purchases--thereby saving time and energy from going home before going back to the store. The problem with people like you (and it is a problem) is that you arrogantly assume everybody lives like you do and you want to enforce totalitarian rules to make everyone live like you. Personally, I think a better way to solve pollution in Thailand is ban private automobiles and trucks. How about you?

By the way, if you followed these type threads, you would notice that both I and fforest are in favor of the use of biodegradable plastics. And they are available.  But I, at least, do not want to pay for them, because I think it's foolish to pour even more money into these supermarket and shopping center magnates' pockets. They must give away the biodegradables for free. I refuse to let these buzzards use ecology hysteria as yet another way to skim off more profits for themselves.

Archived