Merry Christmas what plans do you have?

ChipButty

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Where do they get that nonsense from ?  Remember ..was it Jenny Gooding or someone like that , taking a big snort then saying " Hmm absolute melons ". What tosh.  I do remember being told to pretend to the customers in a hotel in Woolocombe in Devon 1974 that I knew what was what. 

a customer was having a Prawn salad and asked what wine would be best. I said " well if this one is like vinegar you can out it on the salad '.  Never knew what was what but got good tips for being honest.

Basils place?

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Well guys, sorry to have to rain on your parade, but there is no problem with putting red wine in a chiller of some description before wanting to drink it.

After all the optimum temperature for drinking red wine is about 20 to 22° C, but if wine is left to the elements here, it could easily reach 28 to 30° C, and that does not show up the best aspects of red wine.

So I and a few folks I know have our own wine coolers and that's where our red and white wine is stored (nothing wrong with putting it in the fridge if that's all you've got) and it is taken out about half to 1 hour before drinking, cork removed and drunk with gusto (unfortunately).

Not only that, if one is trying to keep some red wine for a special occasion and it is left to the elements here (high temperatures in areas like the kitchen et cetera) then heat can age the wine prematurely as well as put pressure on the cork to start leaking, which can mean the wine can go "off".

In fact tonight I will be going out to catch up with friends and I have a lovely bottle of Italian wine which is now sitting in the chiller and once I've taken it out and arrived at the restaurant, it will be about the right temperature for drinking.

There is an old trick with red wine if you want to know it........chilling a poor quality red wine and drinking it almost straight from the chiller will hide a lot of its faults!

Tonight it will be an Italian meal with friends at my usual restaurant, followed by a little raucous behaviour and drinking I would expect, and tomorrow night it will be a full Christmas dinner with some other friends, so my social calendar is full and I expect my scales will be groaning under the increased weight! WILL go on that diet on Jan 1st...........

You miS-quoted, or misconstrued, my post.

The original post was about drinking wine FROM the fridge. I have no issue with (temporary) storage in a fridge and THEN bringing it out to get to your preferred temperature........ that is sensible- but it is not drinking red wine from a fridge.

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Enjoy your day......I'm on holidays from my job!!

Thanks, I wish you the same. Actually it is not my job anymore, as I sold my last restaurant many years ago. Still like cooking, though. You never know.  maybe I will get the crazy idea to start one up in Thailand.????????

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Thanks, I wish you the same. Actually it is not my job anymore, as I sold my last restaurant many years ago. Still like cooking, though. You never know.  maybe I will get the crazy idea to start one up in Thailand.????????

I do a mean sausage and onion BBQ Australian style if your interested. Does take quite a while though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You miS-quoted, or misconstrued, my post.

The original post was about drinking wine FROM the fridge. I have no issue with (temporary) storage in a fridge and THEN bringing it out to get to your preferred temperature........ that is sensible- but it is not drinking red wine from a fridge.

You've not tasted my homemade plonk. The colder the better. But....it still gets you p....ed!

• Haha 1

For me it will be like the past 15  christmass's ,working ,we have a small holding with a few beef  cattle they will want feeding ,well do a bit more to my christmas/new year project ,making up a new gate for the cattle shed .

After some <deleted> christmas's  in the uk ,Thailand is about the best place for it ,a non event .

But a bottle of red at our local Tesco Express is looking very tempting 

Well it will be our 13th Christmas here ,our son and his girlfriend will be around for dinner ,there will be roast pots ,roast parsnips ,broccoli carrotts etc ,and the wife will have salmon with it ,i will have chicken and the kids will have roast pork ,Merry Xmas.????

• Like 1

Hey Empty Pockets - we live about 50kl south of the QLD border. Same as you, dry/drought for many months, that is until about 7pm or six hours ago - then it just bucketed down, Thai style. Try 100ml or 4 inches in two hours for those my age. Thai missus has all manner of Thai veg growing here - she went to bed after 2200 very content, along with our 9 yo daughter. HEAVY RAIN ! There is a God, or Buddha, or Al what's his name. Got a kilo of local school prawns, plus a chook for Chrissy lunch. Wife is doing the Chiang Mai "yam-nua", or spicy beef salad. Great with beer. Air here tonight is sweeeeeeet ! Cheers to all on TV. Still miss LOS, but not the pollution, or the corruption.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

For me it will be like the past 15  christmass's ,working ,we have a small holding with a few beef  cattle they will want feeding ,well do a bit more to my christmas/new year project ,making up a new gate for the cattle shed .

After some <deleted> christmas's  in the uk ,Thailand is about the best place for it ,a non event .

But a bottle of red at our local Tesco Express is looking very tempting 

For the cattle or for you?   LOL

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Where do they get that nonsense from ?  Remember ..was it Jenny Gooding or someone like that , taking a big snort then saying " Hmm absolute melons ". What tosh.  I do remember being told to pretend to the customers in a hotel in Woolocombe in Devon 1974 that I knew what was what. 

a customer was having a Prawn salad and asked what wine would be best. I said " well if this one is like vinegar you can out it on the salad '.  Never knew what was what but got good tips for being honest.

I recently read a review on a red wine and I think the guy must have gleaned every description ever produced to describe a wine.........."pebbles, chocolate, black fruits, oak, vanilla, tobacco, raspberries, woodsmoke, tar etc, etc".

The list seemed never-ending and such a nonsense!