How much cash do you carry?

NAoZ

best NOT to carry too many notes. If one gets stopped by Police when driving and copper wants some money only show/give small ammount, claiming I NO HAVE MONEY....I know of people who carry 2 wallets one virtually empty of notes (used to show copper one has no money) the other with small ammount of notes..

Good idea to carry wallet empty and claim that you have NO MONEY !!!

• Confused 2

On 12/24/2019 at 11:34 PM, CGW said:

Forget the coins, I have a bowl that for the past 30 years I have been throwing coins into. I usually carry around 20k Baht in a small wallet for a couple of reasons, first that it should be enough to buy my way out of any trouble and I hate paying charges for withdrawals!

"it should be enough to buy my way out of any trouble".

Why get in to any trouble in the first place? Assuming you are not the trouble making type, if any altercation is not your fault, why would you be prepared to pay out any money?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If you don't carry coins and want to take the BTS you will have to wait in line to buy a ticket. Otherwise you can use the machine.

If you plan on a ST companion you need to stuff your wallet accordingly. Or to even buy her a drink along with a drink for her sisters. You sound like you will be eating and drinking alone.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

"it should be enough to buy my way out of any trouble".

Why get in to any trouble in the first place? Assuming you are not the trouble making type, if any altercation is not your fault, why would you be prepared to pay out any money?

Define "trouble" believe we may live different lives, "trouble" could be a car breaking down - whatever - enjoy yourself on your moral high!

• Like 1

I don't use a wallet, I wear the cargo type shorts, so one trouser pocket is for 1000 Baht notes, the other for 500's, 100's, 50's & 20's.

I only withdraw 5000 baht a time from the ATM, when that's gone I get some more.

10's & 5's go in the jar at home and are counted up & changed when the jar gets full, the smaller stuff is used when paying bills at 7/11 and one needs 1 or 2 Baht & odd Satangs.

My DL is permanently left in the car behind the sun shield.

UK credit & debit cards are locked in the safe. 

Easy peasy ????  

I visited Thai a few times in the past, but never really stayed long enough. I remember using cash all the time unlike here where I pay pretty much everything by card. I like to carry a small wallet but wanted to get a feeling of how "small" it can be for practial use. Im not a fan of keeping change directly in my pocket or rubber banding notes.

10 hours ago, kzyswd said:

I visited Thai a few times in the past, but never really stayed long enough. I remember using cash all the time unlike here where I pay pretty much everything by card. I like to carry a small wallet but wanted to get a feeling of how "small" it can be for practial use. Im not a fan of keeping change directly in my pocket or rubber banding notes.

Where is here?

When I'm in Thailand (about 2 months a year) usually about 5-8,000 in 1,000 bills, with about 1,500 in 100s and 20s. However, 60-70% of my spending in Thailand is done with credit cards. Cash only when absolutely necessary. In my home country, I never carry cash--use credit cards for everything.

Edited by Chou Anou

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

20,000 baht, right?

Thats tip money.

But realistically, I carry what I need, just like I do in the USA. Its probably more than some folks because where I go, cards arent accepted. "You dont take Visa sweetie?"

21 hours ago, CGW said:

Define "trouble" believe we may live different lives, "trouble" could be a car breaking down - whatever - enjoy yourself on your moral high!

Trouble, like a car breaking down etc is only a figure of speech, I am referring to, ie, something like some altercation with a Thai, we all know that if most Thais get in any altercations with a Farang, they are the walking ATMs, like driving a car and some motorbike runs into you, they always try and get money out of you aided by the police. Getting involved in a bar because your bill was padded.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am referring to, ie, something like some altercation with a Thai, we all know that if most Thais get in any altercations with a Farang, they are the walking ATMs, like driving a car and some motorbike runs into you, they always try and get money out of you aided by the police. Getting involved in a bar because your bill was padded.

I guess we live in a different Thailand, none of the above has ever happened to me in my 30+ years here, the TVF view of life in Thailand summed up? it's really not that bad you know :wink:

@Iceland states that "pickpocket" know farang! never known anyone be pick pocketed here either.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 9:32 AM, smutcakes said:

I have never even considered this as an issue to be honest.

I have a wallet with DL, ATM cards and cash. Sometimes i have 10K, which gradually gets spent and then when convenient and passing an ATM i simply withdraw more. I have never felt threatened of being mugged in Thailand (unlike home country) so don't really see a threat of carrying money around with me.

Not even sure why people stop to think about it any different to they would in their home country.

ah but many live their lives here as if they were on safari.

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

I guess we live in a different Thailand, none of the above has ever happened to me in my 30+ years here, the TVF view of life in Thailand summed up? it's really not that bad you know :wink:

@Iceland states that "pickpocket" know farang! never known anyone be pick pocketed here either.

I have walked all around Bangkok and Pattaya many times in the last 15 years and never had a problem with any Thai, but it is well known that if some Thais and probably other third world nationals see an opportunity to get money of you, especially where the police are concerned, they will take it.