B1.5bn Phuket cable car project given green light

webfact

B1.5bn Phuket cable car project given green light

By The Phuket News

1577358891_1-org.jpg

The proposed cable car project is planned to be three kilometres long and reach up to 80 metres high – and cost an estimated B1.5 billion. Image: JH Cable Car Thailand

PHUKET: The Phuket provincial committee of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC), chaired by Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana, has approved in principle for a sightseeing cable car operating three kilometres long to be built in Phuket.

The decision was made at a meeting of the Phuket NESDC committee yesterday (Dec 25).

Also present at the meeting was Phuket Vice Governor Wongsakorn Nunchukan, along with relevant officers and representatives of private companies interested or involved in the project.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/b1-5bn-phuket-cable-car-project-given-green-light-74154.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-27

They do not know operating cost, ridership numbers, ticket income, or, even where it will be built.  Mr Atchawin did explained "...Our company has already planned the location of the cable car stations and pylons, ... but we will make sure the view will be good..."  How about around the Big Buddha?

What could possibly go wrong?

Cable cars seems to be very popular on Singapore's Sentosa Island, so could be a great idea for Phuket...????

24-TV-edit)Sentosa-line_IMG.jpg.983eb1e2d17b34a62eb62b7e68ccc61e.jpg

My photos from visiting Sentosa in 2016. The inserted image is the original cable car line via Singapore downtown to Sentosa Island – which was there already at my visit in 2004 – the main photo is the in 2014 new build Sentosa Line running along the island.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Cable cars seems to be very popular on Singapore's Sentosa Island, so could be a great idea for Phuket...????

Yes, we took the Sentosa cable car system 2 years ago.  Mind you I could not stop thinking about the accident a number of years when a ship mast pulled down the cable and people died, So even Singapore can't get it right at first.

• Sad 1

Many cable car systems operate around the world and are generally accepted as just another form of transportation. I've travelled on them in HK, Singapore, Australia and several places in Europe. There's no reason to consider them as death traps, despite a couple of incidents such as the hotdogging US fighter pilot who brought one down in Italy.

I've spouted for years, to any who would listen, that a system from Karon to the Big Buddha would be a huge tourist attraction and money spinner, with the added bonus of cutting down on traffic going over the hill to the circle. (the taxi mafia wouldn't like it of course!)

For me that would be the obvious location, but my guess would be at the cape.

I don't know how they can assess public opinion without disclosing the location! 

• Like 1