Goat raising increasing but still not enough to meet demand: Livestock Dept

webfact

Goat raising increasing but still not enough to meet demand: Livestock Dept

By THE NATION

800_689112f2d33fad7.jpg?v=1577413814

Sorawit Thanito, director-general of the Livestock Development Department said this week that the goat market in Thailand has been growing exponentially with increasing demand for domestic consumption and export.

“In 2007 Thailand had 38,653 households raising a total of 444,774 goats,” he said. “Last year, we had 65,850 households and 832,533 goats.”

1577352840_3.jpg

With proper promotion, goats can be a new economic livestock, as they are resilient to drought and require small amount of water to raise, he added.

Sorawit further explained that at present 64 provinces in Thailand has goat farmer associations consisting of more than 500 groups of local farmers.

They receive financial support through the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and Livestock Development Department as well as from local administration offices.

“Domestic annual consumption is estimated at 377,000 goats per year, with additional export to Malaysia and Laos of 140,000 animals, meaning that there is a shortage. “Last year we had to import 39,231 goats from Myanmar to satisfy domestic market.”

1577353444_3.jpg

Sorawit added that his department is committed to promoting goat raising in Thailand by facilitating knowledge and technology transfer from existing farmers to new ones through the training courses provided by the department. “Moreover, we have organized the National Goat Fair annually where goat farmers can share their experience and know-how, as well as sell their products to the public and participate in goat breed contests,” he added.

The next National Goat Fair will be held on January 17-19 at the Sufficiency Economy Centre of Muak Lek district in Saraburi.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379894

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-27

useta be some decent locally produced feta around, probably from goat's milk that you could get from the bigger tescos but it disappeared a few months ago...good in salads...

tutsi approaches the deli counter at the supermarket in Jeddah where 10 types of bulk feta are displayed and there's Mohammad '700 or 800 grams this week, monsieur?' 'believe I'll have me a kilo this week, whaddaya got that's nice?' 'this just in from Egypt, a pleasing nutty flavor and an excellent crumbly texture for salads...'...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

You piqued my curiosity with your post.

Why do you keep goats if you hate them and are unable to control them? Are they not fenced in a designated area? 

They are very useful for clearing weed infested areas,cheaper and more environmentally friendly than gas powered brush cutters.

perfect reply. unamazedloso obviously has no idea how to raise goats.

https://www.facebook.com/Phukamyaogoats/?ref=bookmarks

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Always wondered why u rarely see a goat in Thailand when they are running around everywhere in the Laos countryside.

Because most good farmers keep their goats penned and housed for a good reason. 

Edited by cfhebertjr

14 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

useta be some decent locally produced feta around, probably from goat's milk that you could get from the bigger tescos but it disappeared a few months ago...good in salads...

tutsi approaches the deli counter at the supermarket in Jeddah where 10 types of bulk feta are displayed and there's Mohammad '700 or 800 grams this week, monsieur?' 'believe I'll have me a kilo this week, whaddaya got that's nice?' 'this just in from Egypt, a pleasing nutty flavor and an excellent crumbly texture for salads...'...

We make the best Goat Milk Feta in Thailand. It will be available again in about 8 months. Send us a message. 

6 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Thought this fad  had  died  out about 2  years  ago..................at  one time everyone was  keeping goats  round  here,  now almost  none

If you were in the business you would know better. Hardly a fad. Not many Vets around here know how to care for goats and those farmers that are no longer in the business were illprepared for what it takes to raise goats. One cannot simply throw them out on a weed covered lot and expect them to care for themselves. They are a domestic animal now. They need loads of care and attention.  

It takes about 3 years to build a good herd. We are in our fourth year and are in a rebuilding phase with purebred registered animals from Texas. Ours will produce 4 to 5 times that of a local Thai animal. It's all about DNA. Fewer goats require less input all around. Much more cost efficient. 

1 hour ago, cfhebertjr said:

Our goat milk is priced based on market value and what it cost's to raise goats. Hamza farm in Chiang Mai has a ridiculously expensive price. Yana farms is in Makro and other HiSo markets. Awful tasting milk because they simply take the cheap milk from farmers, bottle it and stick a label on it. No comparison taste or costwise to our milk. 

You say "Goat cheese non existent" You are not looking very hard. I know of at least 4 possibly 5 producers. I do agree that TDLD is doing us goat farmers no real service. Muslim populate all areas of Thailand. One from Mae Sot buys most of our culls and males annually but we are a dairy goat farm not meant for meat. Nubian goats are a multi purpose animal and have excellent milk (high butterfat) and meat. We raise only purebred AGDA registered Nubian now. 

Thai don't eat cheese and most farang are too "cheap" charlie to pay what it costs to produce. We don't do it for the money but it is nice to hear someone say "oh my, that's a nice cheese". 

Been posting on theses pages for many years now and partake in several discussion regarding goats, sheeps and their products and never seen you posts regarding your goats, i'll be happy to know if you care to PM me as to who are the 4 possibly 5 goat cheese producers you have mentioned, is their product as good and correctly priced as the imported French ones? do they also sell goat meat?

i will look forward to news regarding your upcoming cheese products...

Edited by ezzra

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

You piqued my curiosity with your post.

Why do you keep goats if you hate them and are unable to control them? Are they not fenced in a designated area? 

They are very useful for clearing weed infested areas,cheaper and more environmentally friendly than gas powered brush cutters.

I would love to have a goat, but i know it would destroy my trees. might get a duck.

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Everybody will now raise goats and then there will be a glut of goats, no kidding.

we had a goat once but we live inna shophouse in town...ended up eatin' all the neighbor's flowers...had to get the wife to take it out to her village and gift it to one of the neighbors out there...believe they chopped it up and ate it fer supper...

'shophouse goat' rolls right off the tongue like 'basement heart' for braised field rat...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chazar said:

Thought this fad  had  died  out about 2  years  ago..................at  one time everyone was  keeping goats  round  here,  now almost  none

Move to my area Lopburi they are goats everywhere ,nearly all for meat ,have had 3 farms milking goats ,but have  given up ,problems with the buyer .

One guy was making goat 's milk cheese ,nice too ,his market was a Farang one BBK, CM ,Pattaya .had to give up had problems with the bank .

All our goats get feed the tree legume Leucaena Leucocephala ,Gratin in Thai we see pick loads of the stuff going around ,never seen then being feed rice straw , they do not grow or milk well .

Have heard of bad tasting goats milk ,the cause the feed tainting  the milk , been eating something strong ,use to be a problem with cows milk ,cows being over feed on turnips or swedes use to taint the  milk.

A few years ago had a job of worming 200 goats near me ,did it twice ,that was enough .

15 hours ago, Chazar said:

I had a friend who would say to strangers, "I keep mountain goats missus."

Never failed to get a reaction. (Perhaps it only works if you're British.)

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Everybody will now raise goats and then there will be a glut of goats, no kidding.

I wish that there would be a glut of goat meat. At least it has some flavour. Sick and tired of blooming pork. I've got an excellent curry goat recipe here.

Edited by SteveK

On 12/27/2019 at 5:59 PM, xylophone said:

Because they are sold to Pakistan and India as mia nois!!

Saw a cartoon on this subject. Muslim man says, 'I will love you always.'

Muslim lady says, 'Thank you.'

Muslim man says, 'I was talking to the goat.'

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2019 at 5:59 PM, xylophone said:

Because they are sold to Pakistan and India as mia nois!!

Actually, they are sold as virgin brides...and they don't need to wear veils to fetch top dowries (4 chickens). 

Edited by jaltsc
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:17 AM, cfhebertjr said:

Our goat milk is priced based on market value and what it cost's to raise goats. Hamza farm in Chiang Mai has a ridiculously expensive price. Yana farms is in Makro and other HiSo markets. Awful tasting milk because they simply take the cheap milk from farmers, bottle it and stick a label on it. No comparison taste or costwise to our milk. 

You say "Goat cheese non existent" You are not looking very hard. I know of at least 4 possibly 5 producers. I do agree that TDLD is doing us goat farmers no real service. Muslim populate all areas of Thailand. One from Mae Sot buys most of our culls and males annually but we are a dairy goat farm not meant for meat. Nubian goats are a multi purpose animal and have excellent milk (high butterfat) and meat. We raise only purebred AGDA registered Nubian now. 

Thai don't eat cheese and most farang are too "cheap" charlie to pay what it costs to produce. We don't do it for the money but it is nice to hear someone say "oh my, that's a nice cheese". 

Still waiting for the names and locations of the other, as he put it '4 or 5 goat cheese producers' also the op of the above post is located in Phayao province and as far as i know his product doesn't reach BKK and his website doesn't mention where are his products available, and yet he's complaining of farangs being a too 'cheap charlie' to pay for his products...