Second American Detained in Thailand Over Single Bullet in Luggage

ChipButty

Second American Detained in Thailand Over Single Bullet in Luggage

US media has reported that a second US citizen has been detained in Thailand after a single bullet was found in his suitcase. Michael Jones, 37 was detained at the airport with a single bullet in his luggage
Being the second American to be delineated with a single bullet in his luggage in a month.

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thail...et-in-luggage/

Its pretty common for Americans to have a single bullet in their luggage if they are shooters. I have been stopped by TSA myself with one in Alaska, so it was no big deal, but it would be somewhere else.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Unless  of  course  your a Thai  top Policeman and flying out of Japan.then its  just fine n dandy

True.. but do you think it would have been different if a top cop from an other country. Then their embassy would also do as much more then for an "ordinary citizen"

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am amazed that a shooter would not know the exact number and location of all bullets in the possession.

Stray one "found " in ones luggage smacks of untidy luggage, and carelessness of a potentially deadly item

Bullets arent deadly. They are just a bullet. They just sit there and look at you until you shoot them. You shoot alot, you get strays. Also keep in mind that if it was a 22, its very small. I use packs, its easy to lose a round in a pack.

I remember a gf once who couldnt find her keys and dumped out her purse, she had 3 loose rounds in there along with bobby pins, tampax, lipstick.....

Edited by Nyezhov

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Taking a bullet through an airport is a crime in most countries. The only scam is that they allowed the guy to pay his way out.

Take cannabis through an airport, that is also far more dangerous then getting caught with it elsewhere. (smuggling gets added to the sentence then). 

I don't see the scam unless the Thais have put it them there themselves.

a friend of mine from LA was going to work in Saudi and had 1 round in his luggage. It was his, he admitted it and they let him enter. Sorry, I don't believe the scam part especially when the person was an American -  where having a loose round in your bag is not that astonishing..

Edited by from the home of CC

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

a friend of mine from LA was going to work in Saudi and had 1 round in his luggage. It was his, he admitted it and they let him enter. Sorry, I don't believe the scam part especially when the person was an American -  where having a loose round in your bag is not that astonishing..

Obviously is in Thailand

There is an old scam run at the Manila airport (which has been going on for years now) and has possibly been adopted here.

Just google "bullet in suitcase scam in Philippines" for many stories.  

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bullet+in+suitcase+scam+in+philippines&t=ffnt&atb=v185-1&ia=web

https://philippineslifestyle.com/tanim-bala-airport-bullet-scam-return/

Sounds like a scam.  you pack your guns in GUN specific carrying cases, not the same kind of luggage as when you go to Pattaya to shoot off other types of guns.

As said, this is an easily googled scam to do at an airport.

IF the guys busted are really active shooters, then maybe it's on them.  If they deny the allegations, this time I'll go with the tourists.

what's the point of bring one bullet into Thailand?

• Like 2

I remember years ago an Irish colleague saying he was stopped by security at Dublin airport, he put his hand in the pockets of his Barbour jacket and they were full of shotgun cartridges. Apparently they confiscated them and he continued on his journey.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am amazed that a shooter would not know the exact number and location of all bullets in the possession.

Stray one "found " in ones luggage smacks of untidy luggage, and carelessness of a potentially deadly item

It is the same with many american shooters they donot realize guns and there ammo are not toys but deadly weapons.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its pretty common for Americans to have a single bullet in their luggage if they are shooters. I have been stopped by TSA myself with one in Alaska, so it was no big deal, but it would be somewhere else.

I used to target shoot at a club in the UK with an air rifle. I still do occasionally. The slugs are much smaller than a bullet and therefore easier to misplace yet I've never ever had one find its way into my holiday luggage!

However it would be quite easy to slip a bullet into someone's luggage especially if there's a financial incentive to do so.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

All luggage is x-rayed at the airports in the USA and any undeclared ammunition (which is not in it's original box or case as required under the TSA rules) would be spotted and flagged for inspection and removal, so I doubt that these are simply mistakes committed by the travelers themselves (more likely a scam or planted).

So you really think they are that efficient. I use to know one of the baggage screeners at CM airport. She spotted a handgun in atravellers luggage that had been thru Bangkok luggage inspection.

24 minutes ago, moe666 said:

It is the same with many american shooters they donot realize guns and there ammo are not toys but deadly weapons.

O we know, its just that we dont cower in fear over an inert round without a gun.

24 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I used to target shoot at a club in the UK with an air rifle. I still do occasionally. The slugs are much smaller than a bullet and therefore easier to misplace yet I've never ever had one find its way into my holiday luggage!

Quite different putting one lead slug at a time into an air rifle than taking out an MP5 with 1000 rounds of ammo, yes?

25 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

However it would be quite easy to slip a bullet into someone's luggage especially if there's a financial incentive to do so.

Quite. But I doubt thats a big thing here. Or anywhere.