Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

25 minutes ago, orang37 said:

How many pictures of burning mountain ridges and fields on this thread do you need to see: the major source of seasonal air pollution in northern Thailand is ... northern Thailand. Yes, there are occasional major contributions from other areas depending on changes in winds.

~o:37;

Apparently not! 

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:2022-04-20..2022-04-21,2022-04-20;@-258.2,18.4,7z

48 minutes ago, novacova said:

Yeah right, the wind doesn’t cross borders. It’s just swirling around in village, right?

CM is in a valley where smoke gets trapped in. A lot of burning January through March in the northern Thai provinces where the government has some control. Not to mention lightning caused fires that do tend to smolder for months then flare up when it gets hot, what exactly can the government do about that?? Cambodia, Myanmar free to burn. It’s a heck of a lot of smoke coming in from those regions and china as well. Unless of course where you live, where the weather stays local and the weather map is never updated 

Again, everyone knows that neighboring countries contribute to pollution in the north of the country, I am referring specifically to those that cause the fire.  You seem not to have read my post.  the map is up to date at the time of writing this post…Check out the map for yourself at AIRvisual today. 
In Chiang Mai, from January to the end of March, the locals even call it the ‘burning season’. Coupled with the hot season, the farmers in northern Thailand burn their fields to prepare land for the next harvest and also to get rid of biowastes like corn that can’t be sold in the market. It’s officially illegal to do the burn offs but the lack of enforcement leaves the problem unresolved and the smog and haze remain as predictable as the annual wet season.

Again

5A5B41D2-D044-40EA-9037-EEDE0AB44D21.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Living in a village North CM many years, looking at neighbors farmer, how they burn their forest, farms, plastics trash and whatever they want, and seeing the passivity of authority, your comment is a simplicity and show absolute ignorance.

Are this fire today coming from China? ????

C46D6CE2-F155-4B95-8E60-0C547174A7C2.jpeg

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/2087139/holding-those-behind-the-haze-to-account

The smoke/haze problem isn’t so much of an issue of barrel burning or annoying neighbors. It’s a much broader large scale regional phenomena that can take days or weeks to develop and persist.

Edited by 0james0
  • Like 1

I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

smoke, lungs, allergies, asthma, and lower oxygen levels (say, down to 95%).

inhaler needed.

I know the smoke is hurting me, but I keep telling myself I'll know when it's too bad for my health.  I'm guessing a few more years.   That will make it 8 years total.  I couldn't do this for 20.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/24/2022 at 8:41 PM, Iamfalang said:

I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

smoke, lungs, allergies, asthma, and lower oxygen levels (say, down to 95%).

inhaler needed.

I know the smoke is hurting me, but I keep telling myself I'll know when it's too bad for my health.  I'm guessing a few more years.   That will make it 8 years total.  I couldn't do this for 20.  

One can make sure the doors and windows are sealed well and place a fine mesh pre filter sheet in over the a/c filters, it will help with the filtering the smoke particles, I use one and it works well. CM Air Care Engineering or Mahakak, can’t remember which place. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of a break from Bangkok and to visit Chiang Mai in mid May. Is the "burning season" over? Is May a good month weatherwise? Climate change means that many seasonal features are way out of kilter. Has there been enough rain to make the landscape lush and verdant?

In desperate need to break my non travel from Bangkok for the last 3 years!

Edited by samtam

1 hour ago, samtam said:

I'm thinking of a break from Bangkok and to visit Chiang Mai in mid May. Is the "burning season" over? Is May a good month weatherwise? Climate change means that many seasonal features are way out of kilter. Has there been enough rain to make the landscape lush and verdant?

Unless you have health problems come on up and enjoy yourself.

It is nothing like as bad as the people watching their computer screens and moaning about the "figures", will try and tell you,  rather than the actual outdoor experience if you stay away from the active fire zones!

Edited by DezLez
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, samtam said:

It seems that the smog season is ending, the weather forecast warns of some rain and that helps.  I am back to exercising outdoors.  ???? Have a good trip!.

• Like 2

For the previous 2 months, the air is better after it rains but gets progressively worse until about 3 days later it is back to where it was prior to the rain.

It rained yesterday.

About noon today pm2.5 was 34 to 36,  will see tomorrow if it rises.

The reading above was obtained using a device to measure pm2.5.

Pm2.5 particulates are much thinner than a human hair.

If you choose to judge the AQI based on "the actual outdoor experience", 

then apparently the AQI is whatever you would like to pretend it is.

Edited by JimmyJ

• 3 weeks later...

I like the rainy season.

Cooler temperatures while it's raining, very good air quality.

At the minute great air - pm2.5 = 0 to 1 which is AQI 0 to 4.

I will never be in CM again during March and April and will return mid-May.

(Was only here for those months this year due to circumstances/necessity).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Car tyres produce vastly more particle pollution than exhausts, tests show.  Toxic particles from tyre wear almost 2,000 times worse than from exhausts as weight of cars increases....   just saw this on the Guardian.   TYRE?   WHAT?  lol.  Tires.   

I'm very surprised......just goes to prove we need to consider everything.  I wasn't thinking about tires........sorry Earth, I was thinking a better exhaust would really help.   hmmmmm

• Thanks 2

On 5/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, BritManToo said:

Smoke reduced my solar power from 2,500W to 1700W

Rain reduced my solar power from 2,500W to 0W

I prefer the smoke to the rain.

This rain is costing me money!

... and money seems to be more important for you than your health?

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Virtualrecluse said:

https://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/ shows readings in the 150 range today, Oct. 18. 

Earlier than expected? What is going on?

Excess of garbage accumulated in the houses during the rains, others begin to prepare the land and in the mountains mushrooms have to be germinated.. finished the Rainy season and set fire to everything that moves.

Drove up a mountain with a friend yesterday.    Looked down, saw at LEAST 10 fires.  Took a few pictures.   Lady just looks, says nothing after I'm like, "OMG, burning everything already!!!".   Then I checked online, and was surprised the PM 2.5 levels are already bad......

It's either rainy season or smokey season...................  

RIP lungs.  RIP brain.  RIP life expectancy.  RIP skin.  RIP eyes.  RIP everything.

at least it's getting colder at night

15 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

RIP lungs.  RIP brain.  RIP life expectancy.  RIP skin.  RIP eyes.  RIP everything.

What an over dramatic and stupid comment'

RIP commonsense from you!

Edited by DezLez
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, DezLez said:

What an over dramatic and stupid comment'

RIP commonsense from you!

Globally, poor air quality is estimated to cause some 7 million deaths each year, as it increases the risk of a wide range of cardiovascular and respiratory diseases

RIP Science grade for you!!!!  LOL.    Now go talk to those 7 million!!! every year!!!! Probably more!!!!

RIP

• Thanks 1