Thousands of people trapped in Australian coastal town by huge wildfires

webfact

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It's not exactly relevant, but they are State funded. Like many things, IMO, they should be Federal.

Leaders should lead also. 

"where the bloody hell are you"?? his famous line, from his career prior to politics

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

1647094653_Canberrasairqualityistheworstintheworldasbushfiresmokeshroudscapital.png.d1aa216047a403612b029bca786414fa.png

The "numbers" themselves are undoubtedly correct, what is missing is the "composition" of the particulates.

It is not safe to breathe this level of atmospheric pollution ANYWHERE, however, if one was in Chiang Mai, Beijing, Bangkok or Mumbai for example, the composition of the particulates would be exponentially more dangerous to ones health, than Canberra.

Simple searches across the internet, will confirm my ramblings, this Chinese documentary is brilliant, Chai Jing, is compelling. (NOTE: If you intend to watch, it has been "dubbed" into English)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTgzoZQewM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BB1958 said:

It is not safe to breathe this level of atmospheric pollution ANYWHERE, however, if one was in Chiang Mai ...

Can't say I'm up on this topic but wouldn't it be similar? Burn off of veg in Chiang Mai, burning veg in Australia.

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

ScoMo is not a leader. He is a rat-cunning politician with a tad of sanctimony stirred in.

Prime Ministers such as Whitlam, Hawke and Fraser were leaders.

Tad of sanctomy?? I feel a very large chunk of it

His former career afterall was advertising, until he found his mark in refining nastiness

26 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

So why did Australians vote him back in he is such a terrible prime minister ?

The opposition leader could not sell his complex message to the brainwashed voters.

They seem to like to be led by conservatives with the same vision as many conservatives elsewhere, saves them doing analytical thinking. Scare tactics work well also.

But he is now leader and should lead during a national crisis from west coast across to the east.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Can't say I'm up on this topic but wouldn't it be similar? Burn off of veg in Chiang Mai, burning veg in Australia.

Canberra and Sydney AQ will change with winds and is shorter term

Would hate to see the readings from NSW south coast last week

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

On the surface this appears to be true, however, as Chai Jing points out, the composition of the particulates found in e.g.. Beijing contain pollution from diesel, lead, cadmium, untold factories, etc, etc.. Quite a toxic mix.

You are probably correct! Quite possibly the country areas, where rice stubble is burned, the "pollution" would have a similar profile. However, I was drawing the parallel between cities in your chart and natural vegetation.

Thank you for your coment

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Canberra and Sydney AQ will change with winds and is shorter term

Would hate to see the readings from NSW south coast last week

Yeah, that reading is only because of a westerly against the predominate easterly basically holding the smoke over Canberra, hopefully it will clear in the next day or two. Only posted it as I noticed the other day 5 threads on air quality in Chiang Mai ????

4 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

On the surface this appears to be true, however, as Chai Jing points out, the composition of the particulates found in e.g.. Beijing contain pollution from diesel, lead, cadmium, untold factories, etc, etc.. Quite a toxic mix.

Good point. We had a coalmine fire that went for a fair time and the smoke was more toxic due the particulates in the smoke compared to a "normal" bushfire.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jdiddy said:

Pretty massive temps to get those wheels to melt and flow like that

Az1NmlA.jpg

The forecast for the weekend it looking catastrophic, winds, high temps, scorching  the earth, frying the tree roots in the ground. Estimated over 1200 buildings destroyed.

Mobile towers falling and infrastructure decimated, towns without water or power for days on end.

• Like 1

We were once cutting a firebreak near Harrington,NSW...

There was a long ridge to our west about 5 kms away..

Someone shouted "look at that!" and we all looked..

On the crest of the ridge which is about 10 kms long there was a few dancing flames and then the whole ridge exploded in our faces..

There was a desperate scramble to get out of there...thank god we made it.

Clearing a firebreak around a small town is desperate when the Fire God reaches out for you..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdiddy said:

Az1NmlA.jpg

Tyre rubber burns at around 400 C and hotter and a lot of alloys ( wheels ) start to melt around 480 ish. I believe magnesium alloy ignites and melts/burns quite happily around those temperatures.

Edit.

Just checked some figures and bushfire temperatures can be anything between 650 and 1600 C

That's bloody hot.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

Az1NmlA.jpg

Although it does look spectacular, the steel panels ( MP ca 1400 C ) have not melted. The rivulets of metal are most probably from the aluminium/magnesium alloy wheels, which have melting points ranging from 350 -700 C.

2 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

Az1NmlA.jpg

Watched 7 news (I think it was 7 news)...the reporter was saying how the fire was that hot it melted the paint off the car and it then solidified on the ground once it cooled !!

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Watched 7 news (I think it was 7 news)...the reporter was saying how the fire was that hot it melted the paint off the car and it then solidified on the ground once it cooled !!

Obviously technical matters are not the reporter's forte. Paint does not melt, it burns.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Obviously technical matters are not the reporter's forte. Paint does not melt, it burns.

Yeah well....I know that and you know that but if a reporter is so lacking in details and knowledge should they be reporting on such a catastrophe ?

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah well....I know that and you know that but if a reporter is so lacking in details and knowledge should they be reporting on such a catastrophe ?

I can't answer that. Mind you, ignorance of basic chemistry and physics is not confined to reporters.