Thailand: Land of a thousand generals

webfact

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm just wondering how many of these "generals" would be effective in a real crisis, and how many would run around like headless chooks.

angry chooks at that!  wasting 3x more scrambled eggs on their heads, than the US... 

... really taken the Category of General Duties officers, to the extreme

GD - a common term for referring to failed pilots   

and, what about their Admirals, and Air Marshals?

Edited by tifino

2 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

They may pour over social media sites seeking people who criticize the government ? Living in a military controlled country should make one caeful of what they have to say publicly . As a guest here we should be polite and mind our own business. 

Ah..hmmm.

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The thing I have always wondered is what all the Generals actually do? There can not possibly be enough work for

all of them.....Do they just show up for work and surf the internet or what?

a friend of mine, a ranger told me he didnt want to advance

because the work became almost exclusively politics,

which he had zero interest in

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Generals flag officers Thailand 1,750

Generals flag officers USA ....231 Army 162 Navy  198 Air force

So Thailand has 3X as many flag officers than in the USA....

Ah, but which military has the most golf courses?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

The obsession with rank and uniforms has always cracked me up. What I find most humorous is the campaign ribbons for officers is such places like the post office.

What are these for? Maybe one for "delivering in a monsoon"? How about "bit by a dog"?

Or..more likely "shoved 'em under a tree.."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

so there you have it …..

..and no real active duty experience amongst them.  They'd be <deleted> all use in a real conflict (props for those poor sods dealing with the "insurgents" in the South) and an enemy combatant would only have to make one of these silly little generals lose face in order to break what little discipline they might have!

• Like 1

And one would be tempted to ask exactly what it is that they do? In the US there are a total of under 300 generals for the Army, including flag officers. They command some respect. Here? What are their accomplishments? How much overseas action have they seen? What are they defending? What purpose do they serve? 

I could go a step further, and ask what does the army do for the nation? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Come on we all know, in Uniform Services you always get promoted to the your level of incompetence, which means there are a lot of Incompetent people in the Thai Militaryt and judging by the current Government seems to be true. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The thing I have always wondered is what all the Generals actually do? There can not possibly be enough work for

A while ago here was some new about the police chief, who said something like that being the police chief is only a part time job for him.

I guess most of the army generals treat this similar, their government job is considered to be a part time job for them, their main focus is some other business which they are running.

Just look at for example Prayut: "As of August 2019 he serves as Prime Minister of Thailand, Thailand's Defence Minister,[3] and head of the Royal Thai Police.[4] In addition, he assumed the duties of Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak as head of the government's economic team and oversees the Justice Ministry's Department of Special Investigation (DSI).[5]" from wikipedia

So effectively he is doing five jobs simultaneously, and probably he is also running some private business.

In other countries being prime minister would be considered a full time job, but for Thai officials this is a part time job for which they spend an hour or two a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neeray said:

Quite possibly the biggest "old boys club" in the world.

Can't figure out "up from down" on the economy but sure know how to load and point a gun.

They would never be expected to actually take part in military action.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neeray said:

Can't figure out "up from down" on the economy but sure know how to load and point a gun.

I doubt most of them would know one weapons system from another. Put them up against a real army - whether of modern or of guerrilla type - and you'ld soon know whether they can fight or not.

I have however encountered men-in-black up in the Dong Rak mountains on the Cambodian border and they certainly look mean enough. If looks could kill ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

If I remember correctly, Thailand has over 2000 generals, while the US has about 220.

And soon 3 new 'SUBMARINES' and how many TANkS... Doesn't that create a 'Big Face' for Thailand....

BUT the Thai Kids aren't (or poorly) EDUCATED in schools and the kids and aged, the 'poor' in general, are NOT provided with hospital care......... Do you still see a 'Big Face' for this current gov't???.......    NOT ME......

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A while ago here was some new about the police chief, who said something like that being the police chief is only a part time job for him.

I guess most of the army generals treat this similar, their government job is considered to be a part time job for them, their main focus is some other business which they are running.

Just look at for example Prayut: "As of August 2019 he serves as Prime Minister of Thailand, Thailand's Defence Minister,[3] and head of the Royal Thai Police.[4] In addition, he assumed the duties of Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak as head of the government's economic team and oversees the Justice Ministry's Department of Special Investigation (DSI).[5]" from wikipedia

So effectively he is doing five jobs simultaneously, and probably he is also running some private business.

In other countries being prime minister would be considered a full time job, but for Thai officials this is a part time job for which they spend an hour or two a day.

Much of their off duty time is spent finding 'OFF SHORE' accounts to put all their    'Hard earned/grafted'    money in...... SIMILAR' to Taksin (Who they try to crucify)....... 

51 minutes ago, steven100 said:

bingo  !   as is most of Asia ...  Cambodia, Burma, Vietnam and others .... 

why is this?  Perhaps because this part of the world arose from a lengthy feudal history and a powerful military held all the various strata of society in check. 

6 hours ago, fforest1 said:

No they show up for work and read a good bank statement book, or two or three or more!

• Like 2

Thailand: Land of a thousand generals.

Yes, all these Lt/Gens, Maj/Gens, Lt/ Cols etc, etc, are really full of themselves, how nice they look in their nice uniforms,  medals, ribbons etc, all these British Prince Charles types rolled in to one.:cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

just got to discount the Burmese withdrawing to deal with China in the 1700s, and opening doors to the Japanese in WW2.   Aside from those minor details, Thailand remains the only country in SEA never to have been occupied.   So they must be doing something right, right?

7 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Prob play with their phones all day like the RTP

7 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Generals flag officers Thailand 1,750

Generals flag officers USA ....231 Army 162 Navy  198 Air force

So Thailand has 3X as many flag officers than in the USA....

They are all posers, "Oh! Look at me, don't I look nice in my lovely uniform"? :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1