Savage Dollar/Baht rate continues north....

40 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

One of the most ridiculous bias posts.

You jealous?

The stock market is up 50% under Trump my portfolio even more these have been boom times.

Get real and educate yourself on the truth...

PS:  He will get re-elected money #1!.

Not jealous at all.. the further the $US falls the higher my $AU will go.. The stock market has gone up thanks to tax cuts for the rich.. the jobs created are low value and the poor are screwed.  Truth in the Trump era.. there is an oxymoron! Rasmussen.. Trump's favorite poll doesn't look too good for him.. https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_dec31

3 hours ago, asiamaster said:

It's not only the strength of the Baht but also for a large part the weakness of the Western currencies. Gold was up 19% to the US$ over 2019.

Yep I constantly stand amazed at the amount of people that simply dont understand that there are two currency pairings that make up the exchange rate (except for the benchmark USD) and either side effects the bottom line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I've found if you have your income and your expenses in the same currency, then you'll never need to worry about exchange rates.

Generally speaking a strong currency is preferential to a weakening one as the latter indicates the purchasing power is falling - most likely the central banks are diluting the currency and stealing from people's savings.

However, for exporters the stronger currency cuts their margins. In the case of Thailand, it's partly because the country exports too much. They have ongoing demand for baht - exporters repatriating dollars into baht, as well as the international tourists spending - bidding up the baht. Also, there are some legacy thai banking laws set up restricting outflow of capital from Thailand - eg. some laws limiting how much Thai's could invest overseas and so on.

So in summary, Thailand is a big exporting country which allows almost free movement of capital into the country, but has restrictions on the free outflow of capital. This creates an environment where the Baht will be steadily strengthening (at least until some external shock happens). 

Yeah, unfortunately my income and expenses aren't earned and expended in the same currency so currency exchange impacts each paycheck, which is good in the years that its favorable, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

4 hours ago, asiamaster said:

It's not only the strength of the Baht but also for a large part the weakness of the Western currencies. Gold was up 19% to the US$ over 2019.

But sadly that does not translate to Thai Baht Gold prices as much as gold gains imply, since Gold and the USD generally have an inverse relationship ... meaning the dollar gets strong, less THB per Dollar, and the gold prices are in THB.  IE: Off-setting.  However, I believe 2020 will be the "sweet spot" for Thai Gold ... higher gold prices expressed in weaker THB / USD pairs ... in other words ... both going in the best direction at the same time.  Already sitting on some great Thai Baht Gold returns, intend to load up after the New Year (Massive currency manipulation) is finished.

13 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...you are looking in the wrong place folks.. The $Au is going up.. even the UK pound.. and of course the Thai Bt..  The problems for the US expats isn't the rich greedy Thais or the economic supervisors here or whatever other conspiracy theory you like.. the problem for US expats is in the US itself.. the $US is going down.. just as Trump wants it too.. have a chat with him about trade wars and currency manipulation .. 

download (1).png

download.png

Yes and Trump is to blame for the DJIA going up 11,000 points and an unemployment rate of 3.5%. Anyone in America that's unemployed simply doesn't want to work. Anything else ignorant you care to say?

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Is the US the only country in the world with currency.

Unfortunately for the US-bashers, it is the only country with 2/3.

#2 Euro - 1/5

#3 Yen - 1/20

#4 Pound - 1/25

Aussie, Loonie, Kiwi, Yuan -1/50 each.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Yes and Trump is to blame for the DJIA going up 11,000 points and an unemployment rate of 3.5%. Anyone in America that's unemployed simply doesn't want to work. Anything else ignorant you care to say?

delete

Edited by saengd

On 1/2/2020 at 9:42 AM, Pib said:

Just an end of year dip.

image.png.48e58bc24c06c8e60271d3e14f3923e0.png

This chart could easily be labeled "Insider trading / How fortunes are made" ... This was a giant "caught ya napping" year end computer aided RAID on the currency.  Brilliant really.  Most people do not stop to think about how those privileged few at the top of the food chain, make fortunes in a few days.  

Ah, yes -- during the Vietnam war era, when many reading this were introduced to Thailand. "one red baht" was the standard lingo for the cost of many services. Five bucks. As I was told (by either Nit or Noi, can't remember which), "one red baht" was the cost of a short time. And the cost for a long time? Again, believe I was told it was that other famous standard for Thai pricing: "up to you." Interesting how we measure inflation. Sigh.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, PatOngo said:

Don't you wish you had at least, say. 800,000 baht in a Thai account?

Probably depends at what rate it was originally transferred in at lol

I certainly wouldnt keep 800,000 in any Thai bank. Lost count even just on Thaivisa of stories of monies vanishing at various amounts and the account holder getting the standard "brush off" in bank offices

On 1/2/2020 at 7:48 AM, soistalker said:

The sh!try exchange rate, coupled with an immigration policy that doesnt want farangs and a nastier attitude in general by the population, makes selling your condo a good call. 

If you can find a buyer.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 2:41 PM, Chivas said:

I certainly wouldnt keep 800,000 in any Thai bank. Lost count even just on Thaivisa of stories of monies vanishing at various amounts and the account holder getting the standard "brush off" in bank offices

Do you know if that was bank errors,  bank employee stealing  that accounted for money vanishing or was it family, friends stealing from the account holder ?

On 1/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, Laza 45 said:

...you are looking in the wrong place folks.. The $Au is going up.. even the UK pound.. and of course the Thai Bt..  The problems for the US expats isn't the rich greedy Thais or the economic supervisors here or whatever other conspiracy theory you like.. the problem for US expats is in the US itself.. the $US is going down.. just as Trump wants it too.. have a chat with him about trade wars and currency manipulation .. 

download (1).png

download.png

The Australian dollar going up? Only in your dreams. 2 weeks ago i got 20.55 baht for 1 dollar

today I got 20.44.

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

The Australian dollar going up? Only in your dreams. 2 weeks ago i got 20.55 baht for 1 dollar

today I got 20.44.

...20.93 on X-Rates this morning.. not  a lot of upward movement but at least it has been in the right direction for several weeks now..

download.png

5 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

today I got 20.44.

..I just got 20.635 on a transfer using TransferWise.. that is net after about $11 taken out for fee..  no bank charges or ATM fees..  ($950 transfer)..

Edited by Laza 45
correction

16 hours ago, singasong said:

Do you know if that was bank errors,  bank employee stealing  that accounted for money vanishing or was it family, friends stealing from the account holder ?

Every time I've read one of these stories about an account being pilfered it's nearly always turned out that a relative of the account holder has been involved. Granted there is sometimes a bank employee who collaborates but the root cause is always the account holder. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, singasong said:
On 1/5/2020 at 2:41 PM, Chivas said:

Of course he doesn't because it's made-up nonsense.  In almost every instance of disappearing funds, the victim's family, friend, or BG GF was involved. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

..I just got 20.635 on a transfer using TransferWise.. that is net after about $11 taken out for fee..  no bank charges or ATM fees..  ($950 transfer)..

Well I don't pay any transfer fees at all for amounts over $300, less than 300 I pay just $3 and

of course no bank fees or other charges.

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Of course he doesn't because it's made-up nonsense.  In almost every instance of disappearing funds, the victim's family, friend, or BG GF was involved. 

Dont be so wet behind the ears fella lol.  You expect me to bring up 30 years of screen shotting or something. Dont make your problem our problem by being ignorant to the facts.

Its rife and you can bet your bottom dollar that 99% never even gets reported

3 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

That is interesting.. who do you use? 

Well I don't know where you live. It is not a big company it only has branches in NSW

and one in Perth where I live. The name of that company is Ria.

https://www.riamoneytransfer.com.au/?cid=ppc-ga_brand_exact-core&ppc=ppc-ga_brand_exact-core&medium=tsa&gclid=CjwKCAiA0svwBRBhEiwAHqKjFlVoNPEh7cSua_sCCiHG6OcpNU-AfZEYaARdqKPV4KoXijcKN8f9cBoCfWgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Dont be so wet behind the ears fella lol.  You expect me to bring up 30 years of screen shotting or something. Dont make your problem our problem by being ignorant to the facts.

Find it hard to believe myself, surely if it was a regular occurance then someone would have taken things alot further for re-imbursement.

53 minutes ago, Chivas said:

So for every screen shot that you could bring up there are a further 99 cases that go unreported? To be clear, those 99 people multiplied X times, all had funds stolen by the banks and they said and did nothing, they just quietly went away....really?

And you're telling us not to be ignorant of the facts, okdokay! 

1 hour ago, Chivas said:
6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Well it's never happened to me in 15+ years.  And among my large circle of friends and acquaintances, I've not heard of anyone experiencing such a thing.  If it's happening, it's probably at about the same rate as in the west.  But if you want to fantasize that it's rampant all over the place to support your Thai-hating narrative, up to you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well I don't know where you live. It is not a big company it only has branches in NSW

and one in Perth where I live. The name of that company is Ria.

https://www.riamoneytransfer.com.au/?cid=ppc-ga_brand_exact-core&ppc=ppc-ga_brand_exact-core&medium=tsa&gclid=CjwKCAiA0svwBRBhEiwAHqKjFlVoNPEh7cSua_sCCiHG6OcpNU-AfZEYaARdqKPV4KoXijcKN8f9cBoCfWgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

..if they don't charge you a fee they must be taking a cut off the top rate.. I'm sure they don't do it out of the goodness of their heart.. I'll check it out.. thanks..

• Like 1