Why are more & more expats leaving Thailand?

RyanWalker

On 1/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: With all your riches and money , are you a landlord back home ?

No, my lord.

QUOTE: As a leaver ,( recently left Thailand after a 9 year stint on tourist visas)

So you spent 9 years in Thailand, ILLEGALLY? And now you complain that Thai immigration does not love you?

What will be next? Complaining that the EU will not let you stay forever?

Can you quote the Thai law that states staying here 9 months or more on tourist visas is illegal ?
Or the law that states "while you're here, you're not allowed to run a business in your own home-country."
I guess that disqualifies manypeople such as Elon Musk, from having a long-term holiday here simply because they have a business to take care of back home.
Or perhaps, you have entered your mid-life crisis and you're jelous of this person having a business back home, or you suffer from alzheimer-disease or schizophrenia or other mental conditions. If that's the case i'd humbly like to apologize, and suggest you to visit a doctor and not read the remainder of this post, I only suggest that you read the rest of this message if none of the medical-conditions are true. There is no law that states "You're allowed to stay here xxx amount of days only if you give up or sell all your businesses or belongings in your home country. They don't really care what you run/own at home, the only important thing is that the decision to grant or deny you entry is at the discretion of the IO (or Immigration Officer)", the only law i know of is that if you happen to stay here more than 180 days you're required to pay your income tax here, instead of your home country regardless of type of VISA.

Hope this helps.

Edited by FearAndLoathingInLOS
  • Confused 1

I left last May after 20+ years, with wife, she had never been in Europe, first winter for her for me first in in 20 years.

Do I miss the place? Yeah sure, I miss the Thailand from 10 something years ago, the Thailand of today is not really under my favorites anymore. Even wife agreed to take our first holiday since leaving elsewhere. We had a good many many years there but as others have said the place lost its charm a long time ago. I always end up feeling nostalgic when thinking about Thailand but I realize the place I want to go to doesn't exist anymore, it has changed too much, hence why we left. Never had many visa issues, was on marriage visas most of the years but even the 90 day reporting started to  feel like a burden, prices up - quality down......and so on........

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I dont think that he was referring to prostitution 

I wasn't. I was talking about females in general but Mr Max is determined to tell us how superior he is so contorts everything to suit his own purpose. All the refugees from LoS do this. At length. For too long. Go if you're going, Godspeed, good luck, keep the lecture to yourself.

I am a Brit and I can tell you that the UK is not a very desirable place to live. Walking the streets alone in darkness is risky by itself.

• Like 1

It's interesting how this ThaiVisa forum has inculcated a culture of self-censorship. Orwell's Ministry of Truth has been extended to the general population, beamed into the human psyche. A lexicon, a paradigm of socially engineered mass delusion, of self deprecating behavior enabling our continued enslavement. Will humanity ever be able to free their minds. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

What happened since, did she get treated overseas, who paid for it and what was the cost when compared to Thailand ? 

Sorry for the late reply.

I asked my Belgian heart surgeon for advise.

He told me that my wife could take the risk of the flight back to Belgium if she took 2 different drugs, and hotel before / after the 12 hour flight.

She then had an operation in Belgium (ablation), paid by the Belgian National Health Insurance.

Net cost for us something like 300 euro. ( + of course the airfare, she was on holiday in Thailand with a non refundable return ticket).

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting close. I'm diabetic, so my mandatory Thai insurance policy ($1100) doesn't cover anything; it's a preexisting condition, and I still have to carry my Cigna policy at $4200 a year. It's the little things like this that ar just irritating. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FearAndLoathingInLOS said:

Can you quote the Thai law that states staying here 9 months or more on tourist visas is illegal ?
Or the law that states "while you're here, you're not allowed to run a business in your own home-country."
I guess that disqualifies manypeople such as Elon Musk, from having a long-term holiday here simply because they have a business to take care of back home.
Or perhaps, you have entered your mid-life crisis and you're jelous of this person having a business back home, or you suffer from alzheimer-disease or schizophrenia or other mental conditions. If that's the case i'd humbly like to apologize, and suggest you to visit a doctor and not read the remainder of this post, I only suggest that you read the rest of this message if none of the medical-conditions are true. There is no law that states "You're allowed to stay here xxx amount of days only if you give up or sell all your businesses or belongings in your home country. They don't really care what you run/own at home, the only important thing is that the decision to grant or deny you entry is at the discretion of the IO (or Immigration Officer)", the only law i know of is that if you happen to stay here more than 180 days you're required to pay your income tax here, instead of your home country regardless of type of VISA.

Hope this helps.

Sanemax stayed 9 years = 9 X 12 months

google "months <> years"

google "tourist"

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sanemax stayed 9 years = 9 X 12 months

google "months <> years"

google "tourist"

Hope this helps.

This was before the new rules came into place 

Not too sure what you mean by your post .

I wont ask , as going by previous posts, you probably dont know what you are trying to say either 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, madmen said:

And when they move they continue to bitch and moan, I get it ,European and USA Winters are a massive shock to the system after decades in tropical Thailand. I feel sorry for them 

Nice cold 7 degrees weather here in a UK winter .

I was just telling my neighbours today about how horrendous the heat was in Thailand and how unpleasant it was going out between 11 am and 3 PM because the heat was too hot and having to spend that time chilling out in air-con shopping centres to avoid the heat and pollution 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, gaikhao said:

No one with financial assets, and/or social position and/or quality education  has these tales of woe. Not one. In all the years we  have read Thai Visa,  no mentally competent financially stable, law abiding person has had the visa problems described in these long running threads. I have been reading for many years, off and on as I came in and out, and nothing changed.

I have wealthy, educated, friends who held high status positions and are now retired and own property here that they overwinter in. They have high level medical insurance. They are irritated and concerned by the increased visa and reporting requirements and the Thai government deciding how much time they can spend in a property they bought. They also feel unwelcome. To date, the Thai government has not organised a free sticky rice and mango feast for them to reassure them of their welcome.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sorry for the late reply.

I asked my Belgian heart surgeon for advise.

He told me that my wife could take the risk of the flight back to Belgium if she took 2 different drugs, and hotel before / after the 12 hour flight.

She then had an operation in Belgium (ablation), paid by the Belgian National Health Insurance.

Net cost for us something like 300 euro. ( + of course the airfare, she was on holiday in Thailand with a non refundable return ticket).

All and good then, got to love the National Health Insurances of our own countries, suffice to say I'm surprised she didn't have to wait to long in Belgium as most non emergency procedures have a waiting list of up to 12 months.

Private hospitals are in the business of saving lives and making money at the same time, it's a business, I had an operation back in Sydney, under our National Health Care system, I would have had to wait 12 months (as advised) by the surgeon at the time, or if I went into the private hospital I could have it done within 2-3 weeks, and of course I went into the private hospital as opposed to waiting 12 months, cost 4,000 Euro (converted) for a day procedure, so I hear what your saying, but I am sure if it was life threatening and she couldn't fly then you would have had to support the private hospitals cause, i.e. to save her life and cough load at the same time ????

Glad it all worked out for you. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

This was before the new rules came into place 

Not too sure what you mean by your post .

I wont ask , as going by previous posts, you probably dont know what you are trying to say either 

Are you saying that the definition of "tourist" changed recently?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mokwit said:

They are irritated and concerned by the increased visa and reporting requirements

Please explain.

The only "new" reporting requirements I know of is the one page TM-30 that takes 5 minutes to fill out.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nice cold 7 degrees weather here in a UK winter .

I was just telling my neighbours today about how horrendous the heat was in Thailand and how unpleasant it was going out between 11 am and 3 PM because the heat was too hot and having to spend that time chilling out in air-con shopping centres to avoid the heat and pollution 

Seems after your departure u became very negative about Thailand but  just a while ago you said Chiang Mai is so much better town then DaNang guess all is changed with you. Even Promoting  the Deleted weather in England ????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Why wouldn't someone in a financial predicament avail themselves of this option rather than relocate to an even higher cost country in the West?

You're also ignoring a whole host of other possible motives for someone 65+ leaving. These include: comparative quality of medical care, long-term care issues, better access to medicare and NHS coverage, the desire to simplify the liquidation process of one's estate, the desire to avoid the stress and worry about possible future changes ...... a lack of confidence that one's family and social support network in Thailand is sufficient to effectively manage your medical care and finances in old age or declining health.

Yet you just pointed out the Catch-22.  Leaving Thailand to have better and cheaper access to medical care in your home country is great, yet if you cannot afford rent, utilities, food, transportation in your home country,  how is that possible?  

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

So TM 30 was much ado about nothing? My landlady spent an entire weekend trying to register for the app. She then had to travel to CW que up all morning and pay a fine. Seriously idiotic comment by you.

As for increased visa requirements if they want to stay more than 90 days it seems they will have to travel back to their own country or in future apply for METV or OA... Again, seriously idiotic comment by you.

Wow - being called idiotic twice. How nice of you 555.

Takes me 10 minutes by bike to ride to Jomtien and submit my TM-30.  Idiotic, because I don't own a motorbike and have to pedal the darn thing, could save myself 5 minutes or so with a motor

Yes other people live much further than this idiot from their local immigration.

No worries, those idiots can submit their TM-30 at local police station. 

I was an idiot and got a Non-Imm O visa to begin with.

Most idiots like me plan ahead when they are moving to a foreign country and do the right thing. 

Such as: check the Thai Embassy website and Contact your home countries Thai Consulate.  Then you would discover that the Non-Imm O-A has onerous requirements, and opt for the Non-Imm O

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

No worries, those idiots can submit their TM-30 at local police station. 

Apparently people have tried this to avoid a 60km journey and been met with blank stares.

I gather consuls/embassies are only issuing single entry (90 day) Non O now, so an additional visa is needed to stay over winter unless you as an overwinterer i.e not someone "moving to a foreign country") want to deposit 800k/maintain 400k or transfer 65k/month in the year prior (impossible with April introduction and no guarantee of adherence to the "leniency" that was promised). Previously multiple entry tourist visas or 1 yr non O were available.

All these people extrapolating how oh so easy for everyone it is when they live in a small town where most live within walking distance of an immigration office that is not swamped with applicants.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Skallywag said:

What "things" cost more?  Not my electric bill, not my cell phone/internet, not my food, not my clothing, not my laundry, not my dates, not my health insurance (from USA)....  and I don't need a car here, huge savings.

Foods like lasagna, pizza, tacos, and beef hamburgers/steaks are cheaper elsewhere. Fruits like cherries or peaches are cheaper in other countries, but that is about it AFAIK.  Could you elaborate please?

Everything you mentioned except electricity (power) is cheaper in the UK than in Thailand, for me it is anyhow. The only reason electric is more is because of required heating.

the quality of everything is also better in the UK except for arguably dates ???? although I’m married and therefore irrelevant to me right now.

im currently on a winter break over in the uk and the wife cannot believe how cheap everything is.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2