U.S. strike kills Iran Quds Force commander Soleimani - Pentagon

webfact

5 minutes ago, rabas said:

Quite the contrary.  You can trust them to keep extremely sensitive operational information secret until the operation is successful. Do you really think such a sensitive time critical operation would be transmitted far and wide? The Russians would know immediately.

Trump openly invite Russia to listen in. Remember this line “Russian if you listening......,,”, 

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Iran has only maybe ten targets in their entire country that would cripple their entire war machine assuming we had already played dive bomber with their limited navy. They import gasoline, that should show you advanced they are technologically speaking.

I hope all American companies are scrambling to improve their cyber security. Thanks for making us hustle Iran. 

Stop with your clueless armchair warrior nonsense.  You are embarrassing yourself.

Iran won't respond with a suicidal frontal assault.  They have proxies from Africa to Central Asia, and probably beyond.  They have a cyber-war capability.  They have fanatics.  I don't know how they will respond, but your ignorant "the US wins the war, is treated as liberator, and everyone goes home and lives happily ever after" assumption has been thoroughly discredited.  That's why the US should not start a war without knowing what the endgame will be.  Trump hasn't a clue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No he hasn't. He's already moved the US Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, an unfulfilled Presidential pledge from at least eight of his forebears.

The greater, Muslim middle east will eventually have to wake up to the inevitable fact that Israel is and will forever be the middle east's leading commercial, financial and technological nation and the rest will just have to make do with being their parking lot.

Really?  You think doing a symbolic favor for the Israeli government, and obviously currying favor with his base, makes Trump a mover and shaker across the Middle East?  You think that everyone, including Israel, didn't notice when Trump threw the Kurds under the bus without any consultation with his military advisers or allies in the region?

I disagree.  I think you're grasping at straws to justify your "Trump is all-knowing" assumption.  I'm not alone in this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chokrai said:

Iran and Iraq fought for 8 years ending up in a draw. The US took about a month to beat Iraq. The Yanks will put them in a world of hurt without stepping foot inside the country.

I assume you are referring  to the first Gulf War, when the US had a President with combat experience who listened to his generals and pulled US troops out after all military objectives were accomplished.  In short, a President who knew something about war and had an end game.

How does that compare to now?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:06 AM, Bluespunk said:

fundamentalists are not particularly well know for their restraint and backing down when they feel they are under attack. 

Terrible arn;t they ,we should give them a good talking too and if they do it again ,well its the naughty step next time , or perhaps a smacked bottom ,or do you think thats a bit harsh?

21 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Stop with your clueless armchair warrior nonsense.  You are embarrassing yourself.

Iran won't respond with a suicidal frontal assault.  They have proxies from Africa to Central Asia, and probably beyond.  They have a cyber-war capability.  They have fanatics.  I don't know how they will respond, but your ignorant "the US wins the war, is treated as liberator, and everyone goes home and lives happily ever after" assumption has been thoroughly discredited.  That's why the US should not start a war without knowing what the endgame will be.  Trump hasn't a clue.

I dont think you have a clue about statecraft....despite any claims to be a retired serviceman.

If you were running the US I guess your strategy would be to bend over and take a Soleiman suppository

every day. Iran has asymmetrical warfare...which is code for terrorist activities....US has drones....let them try

their nonsense in Buenos Aires..a drone will drop a payload somewhere in syria, Lebanon, Tehran...no muss no fuss.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I dont think you have a clue about statecraft....despite any claims to be a retired serviceman.

If you were running the US I guess your strategy would be to bend over and take a Soleiman suppository

every day. Iran has asymmetrical warfare...which is code for terrorist activities....US has drones....let them try

their nonsense in Buenos Aires..a drone will drop a payload somewhere in syria, Lebanon, Tehran...no muss no fuss.

I see; you feel safe, and think killing Soleimani is easily justified and feels good (for those not in harm's way), so why not do it?

This may be a bit deep for you, but for others I'll offer:

Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.  Sun Tzu, from "Art of War".

This strike is an act of war.  It may well get the US kicked out of Iraq.  It could upset what little balance of power still remains in the region.  It could create a chaos that Russia and ambitious terrorists love.  How can it benefit the US?  What is Trump's endgame?  What is the strategy?

BTW, Iran has drones also.  And a lot more friends in the region.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Terrible arn;t they ,we should give them a good talking too and if they do it again ,well its the naughty step next time , or perhaps a smacked bottom ,or do you think thats a bit harsh?

I think you have no idea about the point my post was addressing. 

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Who is making all the guns and military weaponry in the world, a muslim nation? 

Heres the top 50 ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companies_by_arms_sales No Muslim countries in sight.

Unreasonable bias. They have neither counted the production of suicide bombers under the category of "arms", nor have they properly accounted for the cost to produce them.

Which costs more to produce: 1 cruise missile from the USA, or 1 suicide bomber from Iran? They are both single use smart weapons. Consider the entire human resources heirarchy that goes into recruiting and training suicide bombers in your analysis.

Statistics can say anything you want them to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Leakers do not deserve to get advance notice of anything.

So Trump, who has repeatedly demonstrated that he can't keep a secret, should be kept in the dark? 

That is a tempting thought, and easy to do since Trump clearly hates reading and briefings that don't glorify him.  But it sets a dangerous precedent; the President needs to be kept in the loop, even in the case of short attention span Trump.

19 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Unreasonable bias. They have neither counted the production of suicide bombers under the category of "arms", nor have they properly accounted for the cost to produce them.

Which costs more to produce: 1 cruise missile from the USA, or 1 suicide bomber from Iran? They are both single use smart weapons. Consider the entire human resources heirarchy that goes into recruiting and training suicide bombers in your analysis.

Statistics can say anything you want them to say.

It makes sense. However, which suicide bombers have been trained/sent by Iran?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Do you really think such a sensitive time critical operation would be transmitted far and wide? The Russians would know immediately.

You mean he didn't tell them like he did before the Syrian attack?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Salerno said:

The Russians will ignore this oversight, given he just allowed their sphere of influence to grow stronger in the Middle East. 

Edited by samran
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Salerno said:
1 hour ago, rabas said:

Do you really think such a sensitive time critical operation would be transmitted far and wide? The Russians would know immediately.

There is zero relation between the two cases.

1. The US informed the Russians ahead of time in the missile attack to punish Syria for the use of chemical weapons.

2. The British were involved in the missile attack on Syria, as were the French.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/06/the-us-warned-the-russians-ahead-of-syria-missile-strikes-official.html

https://apnews.com/ac97b58d1ba64f05ad34fcc254c3f28f

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I see; you feel safe, and think killing Soleimani is easily justified and feels good (for those not in harm's way), so why not do it?

This may be a bit deep for you, but for others I'll offer:

Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.  Sun Tzu, from "Art of War".

This strike is an act of war.  It may well get the US kicked out of Iraq.  It could upset what little balance of power still remains in the region.  It could create a chaos that Russia and ambitious terrorists love.  How can it benefit the US?  What is Trump's endgame?  What is the strategy?

BTW, Iran has drones also.  And a lot more friends in the region.

Looks like someone has downloaded and spewed out today's bulletin from 'the resistance'.

Quoting sun tzu...how deep ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

Can not trust Trump or Americans. They just do what suits them. Allies with Saudi Arabia says everything. 

I don't think that it the Americans en bloc who cannot be trusted.

It is Trump, his hangers on, probably some of the top military and the leaders of the military industrial complex that are the problem.

They are allies with Saudi Arabia simply because SA are cash buyers of military equipment and they also have oil.

The oil complex has been proved to be vulnerable and Iran controls of Hormuz where large amounts of oil coming from the Gulf oil producers has to pass through. It can easily be blocked with a couple of VLCC for a long time.

As the US produces enough oil of its own, they don't care about the rest of the world.

22 minutes ago, rabas said:

1. The US informed the Russians ahead of time in the missile attack to punish Syria for the use of chemical weapons.

You're having a laugh. "You've been naughty boys so please remove anything of value and personnel so we wast a few million bucks on a virtually empty airfield; but don't worry, an hour or so later you can launch further bombing attacks from the same airfield." Yep, that punished them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He was in charge of coordinating Iran’s operations across the region. Absolutely no evidence he was planning a specific attack on USA.

Produce link to credible site giving credence to trumps claim he was. 

maga

Evidence gathered by US intelligence would not be made publicly available. If they made the information public it would likely give away clues as to how the intelligence was gathered, put lives at risk, and allow the opposition to prevent being caught out in the future. 

I'm always surprised when I hear people (Corbyn and his ilk) demanding for secret intelligence based evidence to be made public!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Evidence gathered by US intelligence would not be made publicly available. If they made the information public it would likely give away clues as to how the intelligence was gathered, put lives at risk, and allow the opposition to prevent being caught out in the future. 

I'm always surprised when I hear people (Corbyn and his ilk) demanding for secret intelligence based evidence to be made public!

It may also be possible that they don't want to get caught again showing fake proofs about Irak.

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Who is making all the guns and military weaponry in the world, a muslim nation? 

Heres the top 50 ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companies_by_arms_sales No Muslim countries in sight.

Plenty of Muslim nations in the top 10 buyers list though

https://www.army-technology.com/features/largest-importer-of-arms/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So there is no evidence available to support the claims being made about why this man was in Iraq...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1