BREAKING: 100 tourists evacuated after fire sweeps through Jomtien condo

rooster59

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...or, just as likely (as you are speculating again with no evidence), it was not being used as a hotel. 

Each condo unit is individual owned.

Some of these owners do rent their units our to daily/weekly tenants (ab&b) illegally

OK, so it's not a hotel but more of a guest house.

Not really a condo then.

5 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Often wonder what happens if fire engulfed a high rise in Pattaya or Jomtien. 

I've seen the rag tangle cowboys in the fire service here, and it's a scary thought. 

Especially when you see the dated equipment used.

I have never seen the fire equipment tested in my condo.

Several hoses are missing. 

Rubbish stuffed in the hydrant outlets.

Maybe time to find a newer condo.

We had a little fire in the bathroom of one unit in a condominium in Bangkok a couple of month ago. The alarm did not go on. I was aware that there was a fire somewhere when I saw all those fire engines driving into our soi. Then I found out that the fire was in my building. When I was in the lobby maybe 20 or 30 firefighters left the building because there was nothing to do for them. And there were maybe 10 more in the building.

My conclusion from that was that I would have liked that the fire alarm was raised even if it was only a little fire. And seeing all those firefighters gave me confidence that they come fast and in numbers.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We had a little fire in the bathroom of one unit in a condominium in Bangkok a couple of month ago. The alarm did not go on. I was aware that there was a fire somewhere when I saw all those fire engines driving into our soi. Then I found out that the fire was in my building. When I was in the lobby maybe 20 or 30 firefighters left the building because there was nothing to do for them. And there were maybe 10 more in the building.

My conclusion from that was that I would have liked that the fire alarm was raised even if it was only a little fire. And seeing all those firefighters gave me confidence that they come fast and in numbers.

A friends grandmother passed away in a fire because the fire engines couldn’t get down the Soi.

I’m not sure I’d always be confident of the arrival of emergency services, especially in times of peak traffic. 

I’m not sure I trust the sprinkler systems in old buildings, any buildings for that manner, when could it ever be possible to test a sprinkler !

One of the very good rules here - no Gas Stoves in Condo’s.... although as with every rule, I'm not sure how well that is followed. 

all the tourists where illegal short time renters,  maybe it should also be mentioned.  Nobody cares the law here, the Office does not care and so the Condos are rent out daily and weekly.  Time to enforce Thai Law !

15 hours ago, Bundooman said:

100 tourists were evacuated?

Wow! I didn't even know Condos could legally be rented!

Are they Thai or foreigner owned?

Many Condos are unsold in Laguna Beach Resort 1 but rent out !   Nobody cares the law here and the Office is blind.   Why Police let them do this ? 

Yes , looks like Laguna Beach condo, I stayed there a few years ago.  Buildings are not old, maybe built around 2014. They do yearly fire drills and I think they are more secure than other older buildings. 
80% of the guests are probably Russians, cheap rent 8000 baht ++ per month. 

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

if you are suggesting that Thailand is a Third World country google the definition.

Thailand has never been classified as a Third World country either under the original or current definition, you might be surprised which country was.

While you are googling look at fires that have occurred in western countries where standards are supposed to be so much higher.

2.5 then.........????

Here at home  I keep fire extinguisher in my car, and my house and garage.  Always have, always will.  Granted I don't do that when staying in hotels.   But if I stay long term, I would get one or two.  Every kitchen should have one at least.  And if a smoker, as many are, they should be mandatory.  Did the place have a fire sprinkler system?  I doubt it.  But it probably was not in the unit but just the common areas

19 hours ago, AmericanSafety said:

Actually, the condo association is very strict against AirBNB. I'm sure it still happens but they warn against it and say there have to be rented personally for over 1 month.

Who is this condo association?

Have you got contact details?

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...or, just as likely (as you are speculating again with no evidence), it was not being used as a hotel. 

Do you have any proof that none of the condo's in this block are being used as daily rentals?

21 hours ago, AmericanSafety said:

Actually, the condo association is very strict against AirBNB. I'm sure it still happens but they warn against it and say there have to be rented personally for over 1 month.

Many of them are rented personally for a month, actually, for a year.

The yearly tenant then subleases the condo to tourists on the more expensive per day basis.  The yearly tenant keeps the difference as profit, after paying a cleaner, and some fees to AirBnB, for example.   

This is not an underground thing.  It can clearly be seen on AirBnB, and I have noticed lately, even hotel websites like Agoda. 

In many cases, the yearly tenant isn't even in Thailand, and runs the whole show from China, for example.

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:
17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Do you have any proof that none of the condo's in this block are being used as daily rentals?

No, do you have any proof that that was what I said?  

As you can see from my comment if you bother to read it properly, I didn't say that they weren't being rented daily.  I commented on what was, at the time, apparently your speculation.  It has since been clarified, by someone else, yesterday.

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's not a hotel but some of the rooms are being used for Daily/Weekly rentals (Air B and B etc)

I know it's not a hotel, but the condo's are being leased out like hotel rooms.

The best example I can give is The Base on Second Road Central Pattaya.  Everyday, at all hours, hundreds of Chinese checking in, and checking out. 

20 hours ago, cryo said:

Something to note if you let a condo room for less than one month you will be braking Thai law which lets AB&B get out of any insurance quote. The first consideration you should make when renting or buying a high-rise condo is will I be protected by a working fire safety system as just about any thing else you can walk away from but a fire in a high rise has very good odds of killing you as large numbers of people in Thailand have found out the hard way over the years. I would suspect very few condos in the Pattaya area have working systems although I do know of a couple with western management committees do comply with the working part of the description.

Not only Thailand, there were many deaths (72) in the Grenfell fire recently.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, do you have any proof that that was what I said?  

As you can see from my comment if you bother to read it properly, I didn't say that they weren't being rented daily.  I commented on what was, at the time, apparently speculation by another poster.  It has since been clarified

You don't like speculation much, do you?  Even when the speculator makes a correct speculation.  ????

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

You don't like speculation much, do you?  Even when the speculator makes a correct speculation.  ????

No, it makes no sense and is usually just trolling or Thai-bashing.  If speculation turns out to be correct, it is, by definition, nothing more than a lucky guess.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it makes no sense and is usually just trolling or Thai-bashing.  If speculation turns out to be correct, it is, by definition, nothing more than a lucky guess.

Thai apologists are having more and more to apologize for these days. 

You will be busy convincing people all is well here, when so many news articles report the contrary. 

17 hours ago, ddye123 said:

I remember looking at condos in Thailand last year and asking about sprinklers. It seems there is a sprinkler at each condo door in the hallway. I did not see any sprinklers in the actual residences.

That doesn't mean they actually work.  ????

18 hours ago, ddye123 said:

I remember looking at condos in Thailand last year and asking about sprinklers. It seems there is a sprinkler at each condo door in the hallway. I did not see any sprinklers in the actual residences.

SPRINKLERS

My first condo I bought around 15 years ago off the plan from the developer. It has sprinklers inside the unit. 

I reckon there's been some changes in building requirements because my recently purchased condo off the plan does not have any sprinklers inside the unit, only smoke sensors. 

Archived