BREAKING: 100 tourists evacuated after fire sweeps through Jomtien condo

rooster59

55 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

It's strange that the link to the Thai article says its at the Laguna Beach condo in Jomtein yet the English news above cannot even be bothered to mention that minor point.

so laguna beach condo......?? it is a fairly new place, say 3 or 4 years old, so should have good sprinkler system (that is if it works/ed

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Condos maybe convenient to live but are a Death Trap for Fires & Earth Quakes.

There are little or no Fire Regulations in Buildings in Thailand , even though the residences decided to Ignore the Alarm in this case.

22 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I'll bet they wished they had stayed over the hill in the world class resort, but then again, when open sex acts on the beach, it's hard to work out where is safe to stay!

My friend worked as a lifeguard at an outdoor swimming pool in Sweden for a few years. It was in a pretty affluent nice suburban area. Their main problem was couples getting horny in the sunshine and starting to “discreetly” have sex under towels in the middle of a sea of other sun worshippers. I’m not sure “open sex act” is a good indicator for safety. 

16 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

so laguna beach condo......?? it is a fairly new place, say 3 or 4 years old, so should have good sprinkler system (that is if it works/ed

The photo of the totally charred room in the OP article would seem to suggest either there weren't sprinklers, or they weren't working at least in that room.

35 minutes ago, bluesea said:

Condos maybe convenient to live but are a Death Trap for Fires & Earth Quakes.

Condos exist and fires happen everywhere and Thailand isn't in a main quake zone.

There are little or no Fire Regulations in Buildings in Thailand ,

What's your justification for claiming this as a fact?

even though the residences decided to Ignore the Alarm in this case.

Finally a fact... that was already stated in the OP.

Given that everyone appears to have been safely evacuated, maybe those making statements about the lack of safety, and third world conditions, here should consider what happened last time a block of flats caught fire in the UK?

1 hour ago, dendijk said:

No safety regulations or insurance. No proper fire alarms, sprinkler- or other firefighting systems and no properly trained staff on site to evacuate them.

Most statements - if not all - are false.

Why write such BS ? :unsure:

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

100 tourists were evacuated?

Wow! I didn't even know Condos could legally be rented!

Are they Thai or foreigner owned?

Of course condos can be rent ! :smile:

Probably most of them are bought for rent

and Thai or foreign owned makes no difference.

18 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:
1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

100 tourists were evacuated?

Wow! I didn't even know Condos could legally be rented!

Are they Thai or foreigner owned?

Of course condos can be rent ! :smile:

Probably most of them are bought for rent

and Thai or foreign owned makes no difference.

Well they should not be rented on a daily/monthly rental as it is illegal

https://thepattayanews.com/2018/05/16/thai-court-rules-airbnb-against-the-law-in-thailand-for-daily-and-weekly-rentals-banned/

1 hour ago, dendijk said:

Its just a matter of time before a tragedy happens with Daily Rental anywhere in the world. Short term stayers that are being put in accomadations completely unknown to them. No safety regulations or insurance. No proper fire alarms, sprinkler- or other firefighting systems and no properly trained staff on site to evacuate them. Sad but unavoidable.

I’ve stayed previously in the condo block in which I now own a condo as a despised short term renter. So, were the proper safety regulations, fire alarms, sprinklers, fire fighting systems and trained staff mysteriously absent when I was renting short term, and all magically appeared the instant I bought a condo in the building?

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Cold season and no heaters in the rooms, some of the millionaire tourists probably lit a fire with 1000B bills.

What planet are you on? Its hot all the time here in the Pattaya/Jomtien area. If I did have to light a fire I wouldn't be so cheap as to use 1000 baht notes.

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

fairly  modern..sprinkler system working well then?

All modern buildings of a certain size are required by law (don't laugh) to have a sprinkler system installed. There is no law that says it must be turned on. The day before what is now the Inter-Continental Hotel in Bangkok opened an air-conditioning unit that was wrongly installed (don't laugh) exploded, causing a massive fire. Many people in the building made their way onto the roof and were lifted to safety by helicopter - some clung on to the 'runners' underneath - and ferried across to the nearby Police Hospital. Quite scary to watch. I don't know if they still do, but the Bangkok Post used to have huge pictures of the blaze in a corridor at their offices. Guess if the sprinkler system was turned on.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

All modern buildings of a certain size are required by law (don't laugh) to have a sprinkler system installed. There is no law that says it must be turned on. The day before what is now the Inter-Continental Hotel in Bangkok opened an air-conditioning unit that was wrongly installed (don't laugh) exploded, causing a massive fire. Many people in the building made their way onto the roof and were lifted to safety by helicopter - some clung on to the 'runners' underneath - and ferried across to the nearby Police Hospital. Quite scary to watch. I don't know if they still do, but the Bangkok Post used to have huge pictures of the blaze in a corridor at their offices. Guess if the sprinkler system was turned on.

can I laugh now

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Given that everyone appears to have been safely evacuated, maybe those making statements about the lack of safety, and third world conditions, here should consider what happened last time a block of flats caught fire in the UK?

That was last month when a student block caught fire. All got out safely. But I take your point. I was visiting London when Grenfell happened and went there 36 hours later. The atmosphere and silence in the streets around will stay with me for ever. People sitting alone in silent thought, some wailing in the arms of friends or neighbours. I'd intended to visit for 15 minutes and stayed for three hours taking it all in. The way people rallied round to help. with enormous mountains of clothes donated and many stalls set up dispensing free food was something I'll never forget.

In the third world countries, you got to be vigilant against those altruistic volunteers like the motortaxi guy in case some guy took this opportunity of people vacating the building to steal valuables in unlocked apartments. There are even cases of the firemen doing that as the building must be vacated. 

Archived