BREAKING: 100 tourists evacuated after fire sweeps through Jomtien condo

rooster59

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, transam said:

That is the case in probably any third world country, if folk want to venture those places, sh_t stuff goes with the territory.. 

Actually, the condo association is very strict against AirBNB. I'm sure it still happens but they warn against it and say there have to be rented personally for over 1 month.

Just now, thesetat2013 said:

5am. Probably drink. Passed it with cigarette in hand. Immigration will be looking closely at residents visas since 100 tourist was mentioned. 

Or it could have been some Thai cooking breakfast before starting work.

See I can just invent some ignition source the same as you.

1 minute ago, AmericanSafety said:

Laguna Beach 1. I have a condo there. Gonna have to send the Mrs by to check on our place. We're on the 6th floor in unit B though.

Not to worry, they have taken the room-less there whilst you are away. They have been searched for fags, matches and barbecues....????

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's not a hotel.

Meanwhile, an airbnb landlord somewhere is regretting their Pattaya property investment opportunity.

Indeed. 

Airbnb bang on about their US 1,000,000 Host Guarantee that people can claim up to in the event of an accident. It's garbage. 

Some dudes caused a meager US 180 worth of damage to my place and what did I get from Airbnb.....tumbleweed.

Terrible company and glad I stopped that lark. I was one of the first people in Bangkok to be on their site. I learned my lesson....

Rooster

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Not to worry, they have taken the room-less there whilst you are away. They have been searched for fags, matches and barbecues....????

Truth be told, I haven't found a long term renter yet and owned it over 1 year. I get the occasional lowball (6,000B) offer and just politely decline.

Something to note if you let a condo room for less than one month you will be braking Thai law which lets AB&B get out of any insurance quote. The first consideration you should make when renting or buying a high-rise condo is will I be protected by a working fire safety system as just about any thing else you can walk away from but a fire in a high rise has very good odds of killing you as large numbers of people in Thailand have found out the hard way over the years. I would suspect very few condos in the Pattaya area have working systems although I do know of a couple with western management committees do comply with the working part of the description.

I have been in three hotels in Australia when the fire alarm has gone off two were fires one a false alarm.In all three case Idiots went on their balcony or stayed in the room.The fire chiefs were not impressed and gave them a real serve about being idiots.On two occasions using a loud speaker on the fire vehicle the third was just using his voice  and yelling at them.When they get cooked nobody to blame but themselves. RIP.

Often wonder what happens if fire engulfed a high rise in Pattaya or Jomtien. 

I've seen the rag tangle cowboys in the fire service here, and it's a scary thought. 

Especially when you see the dated equipment used.

I have never seen the fire equipment tested in my condo.

Several hoses are missing. 

Rubbish stuffed in the hydrant outlets.

Maybe time to find a newer condo.

Air B & B's insurers will have a field day refusing to pay out on this unlawful letting, so where will liability fall? On the owner, no doubt, as the building's insurance company isn't going to pay out either, on the same grounds - if it was an Air B & B rental.

23 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

...or, just as likely (as you are speculating again with no evidence), it was not being used as a hotel. 

Each condo unit is individual owned.

Some of these owners do rent their units our to daily/weekly tenants (ab&b) illegally

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"CONFIRMED"...(judging by the majority of posts on this subject)....

The age of Empathy and Compassion is well and truly gone...(particularly sad with what is going on in Australia).

Cheer up mate.

Instead of bringing the Doom and gloom to this forum why don't you head over to Australia and help out with the issues there

8 hours ago, transam said:

That is the case in probably any third world country, if folk want to venture those places, sh_t stuff goes with the territory.. 

if you are suggesting that Thailand is a Third World country google the definition.

Thailand has never been classified as a Third World country either under the original or current definition, you might be surprised which country was.

While you are googling look at fires that have occurred in western countries where standards are supposed to be so much higher.

6 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve stayed previously in the condo block in which I now own a condo as a despised short term renter. So, were the proper safety regulations, fire alarms, sprinklers, fire fighting systems and trained staff mysteriously absent when I was renting short term, and all magically appeared the instant I bought a condo in the building?

No, nothing changed. They weren't there before, they aren't there now, and they won't be there in the future.....unless you DIY. (By "there" one should infer "and serviceable")

Archived