PHOTOS: Fabric bags starting to replace plastic since launch of campaign

webfact

Fabric bags starting to replace plastic since launch of campaign

By The Nation

800_05a13c405cee856.jpg?v=1578202560

More and more people are using fabric bags in place of plastic since the launch of the campaign on January 1.

Some people can be seen carrying more than one bag because they have to buy many products, and some are even carrying woven baskets for their shopping.

Even personal shopping carts can be seen at some places. However, plastic bags are still being used for wet products before they can be placed in a cloth bag.

S__94461999.jpg

S__94461985.jpg

S__94461998.jpg

S__94462001.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380160

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-06
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

Fabric?? some of those clearly arent fabric but I dont care  anyway....however 7-11  now  hide  their  plastic  bags yet still give them out  and also  they are  just  plain bags with no 7-11  written  on them so they cant be traced back to 7-11 and enrage netizens

I was in one this morning, no plastic bags but saw plenty of single use plastic straws being put in customers bags.

Its a start at least ????

57 minutes ago, rtco said:

I have about half a dozen fabric bags under the seat of my motorbike but I keep on forgetting to take one out when I go shopping so have to pay for a new one. Once I get enough I think I'll stand outside the local supermarket and sell them on.

I  think your  business  plan is doomed

• Haha 1

Went to Big C Rama 4  Bought 32 items put them in my backpack got home 27 items were in prepacked plastic bags from the store 5 were in glass bottles ! I also notice there are no more packing people working at checkout  .Big savings for the store but not passed on !  Just like on imports the baht is strong and no price reduction on import food only increases ! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why do three of the five photos, which are supposed to show people have stopped using plastic bags, people using plastic bags?

well... they 'were' effectively removing the bags from the shop

- job's done!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

Buy a new fabric bag anytime you forget, until you will remember !

But the "Fabric Bag" is made of plastic.

What is wrong with paper bags. You can fill them with rolls of plastic bin liners to replace the plastic bags you used to use!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Buy 1 or 2 cloth bags.

And make sure to wash them with some bleach periodically, to ensure they don't become little germ factories over time.

FWIW, I bought a really nice cloth bag some years back from AirAsia, and I wish there were more of its same style around, but I hardly ever seen comparable ones.

The Air Asia cloth bag when opened is a good sized bag for carrying groceries. But it also has a top flap and a snap at the top. So you can fold down the cloth bag and then snap it shut (to stay closed and folded) to where it's folded size is less than an inch thick and maybe 6 x 4 inches... Really easy to carry around and store until needed.

Similar to this in size and style, but not the ugly lime green color in this photo of a different bag.

975801596_2020-01-0614_07_38.jpg.43348c72e8f5d9b20714ae611a458440.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

This kind of thing is the right idea... you want washable cloth material... not the kind they call "non-woven" made from polypropylene and similar stuff.

Easy to carry around and have handy, without looking like you're carrying around a shopping bag/bags all the time.

https://www.simpleecology.com/shop/organic-cotton-folding-tote-bags-1

1242831482_2020-01-0614_14_40.jpg.5655775ca22b633816dc28d6b8c236b1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davemos said:

Went to Big C Rama 4  Bought 32 items put them in my backpack got home 27 items were in prepacked plastic bags from the store 5 were in glass bottles ! I also notice there are no more packing people working at checkout  .Big savings for the store but not passed on !  Just like on imports the baht is strong and no price reduction on import food only increases ! 

IMO prepacked plastic should also be avoided by the people who are saving this planet by not accepting plastic bags.????????

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This kind of thing is the right idea... you want washable cloth material... not the kind they call "non-woven" made from polypropylene and similar stuff.

Easy to carry around and have handy, without looking like you're carrying around a shopping bag/bags all the time.

https://www.simpleecology.com/shop/organic-cotton-folding-tote-bags-1

1242831482_2020-01-0614_14_40.jpg.5655775ca22b633816dc28d6b8c236b1.jpg

Im  not interested unless its a  fair  trade, bioorgasmic, e  number free, non child  labour  produced item sourced locally made  by people with disabilities?

• Haha 1

So I went to Family Mart and had to buy a fabric bag for 3 baht.  No problem.  Then I went to 7-11 and took the fabric bag I bought at Family Mart, and the girl in 7-11 had a fit, because I brought a bag that was from Family Mart to be used in 7-11.  Gotta love the Thai mentality...????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, allenberg said:

IMO prepacked plastic should also be avoided by the people who are saving this planet by not accepting plastic bags.????????

Great idea. How will you carry 24 toilet rolls or 8 kitchen rolls in the cloth bags you don't want to carry around with you? How about 12 x 1.25l bottles of soda?

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Great idea. How will you carry 24 toilet rolls or 8 kitchen rolls in the cloth bags you don't want to carry around with you? How about 12 x 1.25l bottles of soda?

We buy those kinds of large/bulky things all the time in BKK,.... But usually make it a point to order them from a source that does home delivery, either for free or for a small fee.

Tesco does home delivery for 60 baht. Tops does free home delivery for orders usually over 888 baht and sometimes less, and charges a small fee for smaller value orders. Central Markets, being more upmarket, will only do free home delivery on orders 1500 baht and above.

Just last night, Central delivered 12 2-litre bottles to my home, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to be carrying them home myself, either in plastic bags, cloth bags or anything else since I don't drive/use a car in BKK.

Tops, Tesco and Central all do their home deliveries in trucks, no sweat!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2