Thai Driving 'conventions' rather than 'rules'

FolkGuitar

This may save your life if you drive in Thailand.  It has saved mine countless times.

In the West, most people follow a very rigid set of driving rules. We use our mirrors constantly, and turn our heads to look over our shoulders before we make a lateral movement.  One of the first things we notice when we start driving here is that they Thais do not do this. Here is the reason why.

(While I agree with the expressed driving concepts of this article, I do NOT necessarily agree with its authors anti-Thai bashing!)

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169?fbclid=IwAR3OGV-Xh7fyFlsBcZeOyOaDptqbbSiC9o2wp0clLRlvjd_CGq-zAX4pq1Y

No wonder the elite want the whingers out. All this complaining about driving.

If one can get used to the food and bum squirters and  beer with ice in et al then one can get used to the driving. 

It is called adapting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

In theory, the solution is simple: more law enforcement.

In my 20's I was pulled over for changing lanes too often. I blew slightly over the limit, but was only given a warning. These days the officer would be fired and I would be out ten thousand dollars. (A niece recently itemized her costs...fine + court fee + lawyer + tuition for drunk driving school) Not to mention insurance premiums increasing 80 to 300 %.

Running a red light typically costs hundreds of dollars.

I also don't agree with the article heavily attributing dangerous driving habits to cultural factors. The part about motorcycles cutting corners because of not wanting to lose face is ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, dcnx said:

And it obviously doesn’t work. 

Accident and fatality data backs this up. “Adapting” is the incorrect way to drive. There’s a reason why the Thai way is not an international standard.

What? Farang accidents and fatalities or just general ones?

4 hours ago, luther said:

A small box false solution.

Add more cops...

Will do nothing here to prevent the issues.

I agree cultural.

Lack of education at a young age.

Poorly engineered infratructure.

7 hours ago, luther said:

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A small box false solution.

Add more cops...

Will do nothing here to prevent the issues.

I agree cultural.

Lack of education at a young age.

Poorly engineered infratructure.

"More law enforcement" could mean 1) more law enforcement officers or 2) greater enforcement of laws.  I'm not sure which was intended.

Excellent article in every way and also covers the same situation in places like Indonesia...so just a SEA thing like so much else. Unlike the OP, I think the link to culture is very accurate. I experienced the same approach in the business environment here in my working days.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

Excellent article in every way and also covers the same situation in places like Indonesia...so just a SEA thing like so much else. Unlike the OP, I think the link to culture is very accurate. I experienced the same approach in the business environment here in my working days.

I really do wonder why people here have such a difficult time reading what is written!

I never said that I thought the link to the culture was 'inaccurate.'

I said " I do NOT necessarily agree with its authors anti-Thai bashing!"  Not even close to the same thing!

On 1/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, VocalNeal said:

No wonder the elite want the whingers out. All this complaining about driving.

If one can get used to the food and bum squirters and  beer with ice in et al then one can get used to the driving. 

It is called adapting.

Get used to bum Squirt , best thing ever invented, how hard to master a hose <deleted>

This article is nothing but excuses and excuses for the way they drive and putting culture as the main cause the reason it comes across as Thai bashing. Coming from someone who has worked with the Transportation Department for 40 plus the reason Thais have develop the way they drive is due to ZERO enforcement to the rules are on the books already which neither the government or police from top to bottom have any idea what it is all about. They have something like 2 National driving Acts, 1970's and another 1990's very similar to the West if they just learn it and enforce it!

Look at it in simple terms, today Thailand is on the national stages for a number of sports lets take Golf, their players are trained rules are provided and explained to them the one factor that keeps them honest and that is enforcement the rules and penalties are applied consistent. The Honor system doesn't work you can't take driving and make up your own style " this is thailand " I have no problem people or countries taking something and making it better like Japan making better cars but this just isn't the case with driving. If it is better you use it!  But driving here is tops year in year out!

What the article is good is learning their habit doing so you know before it even happens!

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

You have not control over what any other driver is doing, so It’s more to do with luck than defensive driving.

You may be right. I've never won a lottery. However, I think my chances are better on Thai roads than the average d##khead.

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

This article is nothing but excuses and excuses for the way they drive and putting culture as the main cause the reason it comes across as Thai bashing. Coming from someone who has worked with the Transportation Department for 40 plus the reason Thais have develop the way they drive is due to ZERO enforcement to the rules are on the books already which neither the government or police from top to bottom have any idea what it is all about. They have something like 2 National driving Acts, 1970's and another 1990's very similar to the West if they just learn it and enforce it!

Look at it in simple terms, today Thailand is on the national stages for a number of sports lets take Golf, their players are trained rules are provided and explained to them the one factor that keeps them honest and that is enforcement the rules and penalties are applied consistent. The Honor system doesn't work you can't take driving and make up your own style " this is thailand " I have no problem people or countries taking something and making it better like Japan making better cars but this just isn't the case with driving. If it is better you use it!  But driving here is tops year in year out!

What the article is good is learning their habit doing so you know before it even happens!

Golf may not be a good example. Cheat at golf, and it is instant ostracism.

You are correct in saying enforcement is the problem here. I could sit at any traffic light in Thailand and collect a fortune in fines every day with a camera.

• Like 1

No need for such a long article, just be aware that whatever can be done may be done, no matter how stupid, especially motorcycles.

100% accident avoidance. And passenger often helping by spotting incoming kamakazis.

I also minimise driving, take the train, or a bus if I can and hopefully find a seatbelt that works.

• Thanks 1

It is easy to drive here, just different.

Thais drive differently like other countries in this region. Once you get used to their pattern, they drive also in a predictable way most times.

Never had an issue in 3 years. But I also avoid driving at night (because of drunks), I drive defensive and let cars pass when I see they are "nervous".

Example:

When someone joins the highway from a small road (esp. motorbikes) you should know that they will just go in most of the time without looking. So if you do not break and get defensive, it is your fault. Yes, not in a legal sense because you were on the highway. But be honest to yourself, you know how people drive - identify patterns and you are fine most of the time.

Farangs get into accidents because they want to be "right" or stick to the law and because they are more "clever" in their driving. This is not how traffic works here, same goes for neighboring countries.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cerox said:

It is easy to drive here, just different.

Thais drive differently like other countries in this region. Once you get used to their pattern, they drive also in a predictable way most times.

Never had an issue in 3 years. But I also avoid driving at night (because of drunks), I drive defensive and let cars pass when I see they are "nervous".

Example:

When someone joins the highway from a small road (esp. motorbikes) you should know that they will just go in most of the time without looking. So if you do not break and get defensive, it is your fault. Yes, not in a legal sense because you were on the highway. But be honest to yourself, you know how people drive - identify patterns and you are fine most of the time.

Farangs get into accidents because they want to be "right" or stick to the law and because they are more "clever" in their driving. This is not how traffic works here, same goes for neighboring countries.

More nonsense. Look at RTA statistics and then rethink what you’ve just posted

• Like 1

That link from the OP is misleading in regards to blood alcohol levels.

It is 0.05 for people on permanent licenses (5 yr licence) but for those on a temp licence (2 yrs) and those using an IDP the limit is 0.02.

As for the rest of it...... Meh.

Drive like a mad man and let the insurance company sort the mess.

Edited by Don Mega

20 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I really do wonder why people here have such a difficult time reading what is written!

I never said that I thought the link to the culture was 'inaccurate.'

I said " I do NOT necessarily agree with its authors anti-Thai bashing!"  Not even close to the same thing!

Apologies if I misunderstood. My point is that I did not see it as anti-Thai bashing, I saw it as an honest reflection of the culture (in my experience).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1